IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Ended up on an American stream, their commentators thought it was a really close fight. In fairness the judges cards were closer to what we all said then them.

Saw an advert for Stevenson v Jack on 19th May, should be an interesting one.

What?! That certainly was not a close fight imo. Joshua won by a mile, Parker offered next to nothing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Easy night's work for Joshua, he barely broke sweat.

You can only fight someone if they come to fight, and Parker resolutely didn't. If WIlder shits out, Povetkin or Miller are going to take a right pasting around June/July in Brooklyn.

Totally agree,had my bro in law text me and he knows jack shid about boxing saying it was crap because there was no knockdowns or meaningful punches,I’m like flabbergasted that people see boxing as just that

57 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I love a tactical match like last night. Not exciting but it’s about adapting and getting the job done.  

Agreed. What made it interesting for me was that I was watching a Showtime stream and so had American commentary team. I felt AJ was easily ahead but they had it closer and as such that influenced my view making the fight a lot more interesting 

It wasn't the most exciting fight I've ever seen but it was definitely interesting.

I thought Parkers jab speed kept AJ from throwing his big right and the ref stopped any attempt at Parker fighting on the inside. That also seemed to stop AJ from getting close enough to land the uppercut if Parker came inside. 

Parker is pretty durable but there really wasn't any big shots landed from either boxer.

29 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I see Wilder is out on social media saying Parker was robbed and for Eddie to answer the phone (at 4am no less).

Alongside that you’ve got Fury who lasted 3 days into a 6 week holiday from twitter saying he’s still the true champ.  Get back in the ring and prove it lad - how many months has the comeback fight been talked about now?  

BJS must be down £50k as well by my reckoning! 

Haha, seriously?! I get Wilder wants to keep being talked about, but that is total horse shit and makes him look like a knob. So the judge from NZ robbed him too then? Even Parker knew he was easily beaten ffs.

As for Tyson, if he had won like that he'd be busy telling everyone that he's the HW Mayweather and how a 'body builder' would never beat him. Talk is cheap Mr Fury.

Edited by Stortz

Just watched in Russian this morning!

I think it was moderately interesting as a technical contest. But, whilst I appreciate boxing isn't all about blood-letting and knockdown,  I still think we have a right to be disappointed at the lack of 'action'. That was not a great spectacle (not helped by the ref) and reminded me of a classic Klitschko shut-out performance.

Still, job done by AJ again and moves onto hopefully bigger and better things. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2

It was pretty dull, the ref was a complete hinderance, but Joshua finally boxed through a fight properly, he went for a tear up against Wlad after four rounds and was fortunate to still be in it halfway through. Here, he boxed fairly well behind his jab and that was enough to beat Parker whose reach disadvantage meant he had to sit and take punches all night. It wasn’t exciting, but he can’t be every time he fights now.

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It was pretty dull, the ref was a complete hinderance, but Joshua finally boxed through a fight properly, he went for a tear up against Wlad after four rounds and was fortunate to still be in it halfway through. Here, he boxed fairly well behind his jab and that was enough to beat Parker whose reach disadvantage meant he had to sit and take punches all night. It wasn’t exciting, but he can’t be every time he fights now.

Very true. It was ultimately a risk adverse fight from AJ. Did what he had to, take the W and move on. 

• Admin
10 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Totally agree,had my bro in law text me and he knows jack shid about boxing saying it was crap because there was no knockdowns or meaningful punches,I’m like flabbergasted that people see boxing as just that

Is it not the case for many sports, the intricate technical details are loved by those who have a deep understanding of the sport, those who have played and been coached, whilst the viewing spectacle for many needs to have some excitement, some flashy showmanship or some opening caused by an error.  Some European football games are often called boring, but they have been technically excellent.

Last nights fight wasn’t one for those that like explosive action, knockdowns, cutmen working overtime and slow mo’s of heads being snapped back by knockout punches, so I can understand the comments.  Maybe the media hype and the boxers own pre fight talk raise expectation amongst the general public, even if aficionados aren’t taken in by it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Barry Hearn on Sportsweek saying he thinks AJ will fight in America next whether it's v Wilder or someone else. Doesn't sound like Wilder is coming to the UK. He made some very poor comments overnight on American radio saying he wants 'a body on his record'. Silly boy.

Yeah, more ill advised stuff from Wilder, and not the first time he's said similar. Mauricio Sulaiman is pissed right off!

AJ will fight in Brooklyn in the summer against Miller or Povetkin imo, unless Wilder's team have a sudden outbreak of reality.

Maybe Joshua has became Klitschko after this and the Takam fight? Which is no bad thing for someone who came into boxing late, but I think he is losing the aura of a knockout killer. 

More likely to jab and clinch against high level fighters. Which he did very well against Parker in judging the distance in the later rounds. Good fight. 

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Be surprised if AJ/Hearn take that. They'll want 35/65 tops

Well said. Look at the attendances of AJ's last 3 fights. 90k at Wembley, 76k at Cardiff then Saturday, 80k at Cardiff. Wilder can't even sell out 20k seater arenas. And one of Joshua's fights was against a unknown replacement in Carlos Takam.

Whilst America does hold the money and TV platform, I think it's fair to say AJ is the biggest draw in heavyweight world boxing right now so surely he holds the cards as to where the fight should be held.