IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This fight is pathetic. Boxing really doesn't help itself sometimes.  Promoters should be taken to task over mismatches like this. Ridiculous. 

Warren has ballsed Tete's career right up imo given the fights he could have had. Thank fuck he's going into the WSSB later this year, because he is a prodigiously talented fighter.

This sort of tomato can crushing helps nobody, you're right.

Edited by Stortz

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Yes, he might well be. Gervonta Davis is quite the **** too imo.

Yeah, you only have to look at Davis to know he's a nasty fucker. Really good though.

Hated Broner since that cringey little brother thing with Mayweather. Also remember once seeing a video of him flushing money down a toilet. Literally.

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

Yeah, you only have to look at Davis to know he's a nasty fucker. Really good though.

Hated Broner since that cringey little brother thing with Mayweather. Also remember once seeing a video of him flushing money down a toilet. Literally.

Either that or crying, threatening to to shoot himself the knob end. He is eminently detestable.

Davis is such an arrogant shit he can barely be bothered to make weight. I thought he was going to be better than Spence for a while but he believes his own unwarranted hype far too much.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm absolutely livid and was about to go to bed! But as it's Frampton I've just about made it. Cmon Carl!

Late Frampton stoppage or UD imo.

It might have been a different story if Carl was fighing Nonito 4/5 years ago, he was a great fighter at his peak, and gave a good account of homself v Rigo. He was easily the 2nd best in the Phillipines for about 7 or 8 years, but well past his prime now. He's still the 2nd best fighter Frampton has fought I reckon. 16 world title fights ffs!

Edited by Stortz

Fair play Frampton, good performance. They're talking about it being his best on BT but surely he was better in the first fight with Santa Cruz?

Credit to him, he looked very good against a 4 weight world champ tonight, even if Donaire has faded.

Edited by Stortz

Watched all the action from this weekend.

Impressed by Khan - great comeback statement and made short work of an opponent who took Spence Jr and Porter a combined 13 rounds. As for the in-ring beef with Brook afterwards, I think Khan sees himself as superior and a bigger draw than Brook, and his CV/coverage in the US certainly backs this.

Frampton - good win but disappointed in Donaire. A great boxer who would have dismantled Frampton years ago. Didn't look overly in shape either.

Broner - felt he knicked the fight, cleaner work and Vargas face showed this. His post-fight racist comments and insults always good for the tabloids and entertainment factor. People love to hate him.

5 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Watched all the action from this weekend.

Impressed by Khan - great comeback statement and made short work of an opponent who took Spence Jr and Porter a combined 13 rounds. As for the in-ring beef with Brook afterwards, I think Khan sees himself as superior and a bigger draw than Brook, and his CV/coverage in the US certainly backs this.

Frampton - good win but disappointed in Donaire. A great boxer who would have dismantled Frampton years ago. Didn't look overly in shape either.

Broner - felt he knicked the fight, cleaner work and Vargas face showed this. His post-fight racist comments and insults always good for the tabloids and entertainment factor. People love to hate him.

Evening mate, did you catch the Charlo fight too? Impressive ko, him v GGG is a mouthwatering match up.

I don't know if we can judge Khan on that 30 seconds but he certainly looked sharp. How much that Canelo ko took out of him we'll have to wait and see though.

I agree Donaire looks shop worn, but he rolled back the years a bit in the 11th and had a good go. Frampton has an excellent chin now tbf. Nonito is such a class act out of the ring and proved it again at the weekend with his post fight comments and buying half of Belfast beer!

I also thought Broner was unlucky not to get the decision, pain me though it does to say it! How much longer Mayweather Promotions will put up with his shit I don't know, he gave Ellerbee a right mouthful at the pre fight presser and made him look like a total dick.

14 hours ago, Stortz said:

Evening mate, did you catch the Charlo fight too? Impressive ko, him v GGG is a mouthwatering match up.

I don't know if we can judge Khan on that 30 seconds but he certainly looked sharp. How much that Canelo ko took out of him we'll have to wait and see though.

I agree Donaire looks shop worn, but he rolled back the years a bit in the 11th and had a good go. Frampton has an excellent chin now tbf. Nonito is such a class act out of the ring and proved it again at the weekend with his post fight comments and buying half of Belfast beer!

I also thought Broner was unlucky not to get the decision, pain me though it does to say it! How much longer Mayweather Promotions will put up with his shit I don't know, he gave Ellerbee a right mouthful at the pre fight presser and made him look like a total dick.

Only saw the Charlo highlights, but his power & aggression is insane. Goes through people, even with high guards.

As for Khan, I'd take another 'warm up' fight before meeting Brook later in the year. He wasn't touched against Lo Grecco, still fit, could go again in 2/3 weeks then set up a mega fight in the late summer. Then we'd see if the return was a 'flash in the pan' or whether he's back for good.

Whyte v Ortiz ordered as a final WBC mandatory eliminator could be an entertaining fight. Ortiz clearly the more skilled boxer but Whyte’s youth and aggression should make it interesting. Not sure how Ortiz gets a title shot and then gets an instant chance at being mandatory again though? Would’ve expected Whyte v Brazeale? Which makes me think it’s true that Wilder v Brazeale is already being arranged.

1 hour ago, Ohbasso said:

Whyte v Ortiz ordered as a final WBC mandatory eliminator could be an entertaining fight. Ortiz clearly the more skilled boxer but Whyte’s youth and aggression should make it interesting. Not sure how Ortiz gets a title shot and then gets an instant chance at being mandatory again though? Would’ve expected Whyte v Brazeale? Which makes me think it’s true that Wilder v Brazeale is already being arranged.

The fact that there has been a modicum of bitching from Wilder's team but zero counter offer despite their protestations and claims indicates they have no real interest in cashing out v AJ yet imo.

It's rumoured that Joshua Povetkin is virtually done for the summer in Brooklyn too.

Fury's first fight back looks to be v unheard of Albanian Sefer Seferi haha.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stortz said:

The fact that there has been a modicum of bitching from Wilder's team but zero counter offer despite their protestations and claims indicates they have no real interest in cashing out v AJ yet imo.

It's rumoured that Joshua Povetkin is virtually done for the summer in Brooklyn too.

Fury's first fight back looks to be v unheard of Albanian Sefer Seferi haha.

I don’t mind if Joshua v Wilder doesn’t happen in the summer but hope it’s the fight after that and doesn’t drag on, I don’t think either side are desperate for it atm despite what they say.

i knew Fury would take an easy return fight (he’d be stupid not to) but that’s even more obscure than I expected. I was hoping the Shannon Briggs fight might happen just for the entertainment in the build up, maybe that could be his second tune up?

Exciting times again in the heavyweight division, so many good potential fights especially if Fury can get back to his best.

• Like 1

Ooh, hang on though, 2 weeks of silence then this:

Seems a bit weird to only give Matchroom less thsn 24 hours to respond, but if the money is genuinely there, AJ has to give it very serious consideration.

I really wonder where Wilder's team have pulled this money from though, even with Al Haymon involved.

5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Sounds like absolute crap the more I read about it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/43902504

Wilder chooses venue etc? He’s got one belt ffs 

If they've really got $50m for AJ I guess they get to dictate- within the parameters of his broadcast deal with Sky at least.

Hearn clearly thinks they want to get Joshua's signature and then tout the fight around to source the cash. If they can genuinely show they have the cash escrowed then the only legitimate stumbling block is the lack of rematch clauses.

I can see why Hearn is saying it could be a stunt though, given the email/ Instagram showboating was directly from Wilder with zero proof of funding as yet. It's also weird that they were all scheduled to meet on Friday yet Wilder comes out with this publicly the day before, with a deadline to sign prior to the meeting.

I'm treating it with very cautious optimism atm!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Yep. I honestly think they should tell him to show the cash or STFO. Be funny if they went down mandatory route and Wilder lost his.. 

Would be funny, I can’t see Wilder losing to Brazeale though. Joshua’s mandatory with Povetkin is a much tougher fight imo as he actually hits back.

I’d like to see the Whyte-Wilder too.  Wilder’s a strange one he looks like he could get knocked out by anyone half decent but he could knock anyone out with one punch which should make his fights interesting now as he won’t get away with fighting low ranked fighters anymore.

6 hours ago, Tomarse said:

If Whyte/Ortiz is the eliminator then Wilder will have to fight the winner late this year and honestly reckon Whyte TKO's Wilder.

Agree AJ has a tricky one but Povetkin was almost done by Price.. you can bet AJ wouldn't let him get back up.

What's genuinely bizarre is that the WBC (We Believe Canelo) are calling a mandatory between the exact same previous mandatory and the number 3 in their rankings to become 2nd mandatory? And Breazeale is still the actual number 1 mandatory?

**** you WBC.

• Like 1