IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Usyk may be technically brilliant, but he has little power for a heavyweight, so would probably have to avoid AJ's power shots for 12 rounds, which is unlikely. Or maybe he has an amazing chin like Ruiz. Interesting to see what Usyk is like in this division. 

I agree he hasn’t got the power as a heavyweight but I wouldn’t put it past him to move for 12 rounds and outbox a heavyweight,no way AJ will take that risk

Just now, JonDolman said:

I thought Wlad looked in amazing shape and still so sharp with his jab and movement. Still looked as fast with his shots and light on his feet. Maybe his age got the better of him in the end in those later rounds, but there is no denying that shot that got AJ knocked down was a massive shot.

Klitschko didn’t even in his prime carry wilder type power and AJ will always get hit so that’s why I say stay away from him,with a bit of luck fury will take wilder and it falls into AJ lap

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't believe AJ and Hearn avoids anyone where there is loads of money to be made. Maybe the likes of Fury and Wilder have asked for too much in the past, when AJ has been the bigger name and had more belts so a deal could not be made. Even Wilder said that AJ camp made an offer, so they can't have been avoiding him.

Klitschko had immense power. Wilder has more power, but it can take a number of rounds before he can even get one of those in. 

That's what makes a Wilder AJ fight so interesting. AJ has better boxing skills, Wilder has more power.

Does AJ want to be unified champ,they offered money for a wilder fight for sure but it was pittance knowing full well it would be turned down,if your boss offered you overtime on a Sunday but said we will pay you £3 a hour would you lap it up

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

15 million dollars guaranteed and probably more depending on sales. And Hearn even came back with another offer of an extra 5 for having build up fight of his choice. And Wilder only has one belt. That's pretty generous imo.

If you want to be unified champ as AJ has banged on about for years then you offer 50:50 if that is what it takes,he’s minted and if he thinks he wins then the paydays will be even more huge after

Edited by joe jordans teeth

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

You really think that's how it works! If one guy brings so much more then you don't give half to the other side. So we can agree AJ tried to make fight which was the original argument.

If we look at both fighters records, surely the one we have to question is Wilder. He's had 40 odd fights and beaten bums all the way up to a fight against a very old Cuban with high blood pressure. Fury clearly beat Wilder.

AJ has beaten far better than Wilder has. Wilder avoided Klitschko, which is what Shelley Finkel said himself in an interview.

Tell you right now,Eddie will have to offer fury or wilder 50/50 now because they are the top 2 heavyweights,so instead of doing it straight away they have waited trying to avoid wilder and hoping he got beat and it back fired with AJ losing his unbeaten record 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You really think that's how it works! If one guy brings so much more then you don't give half to the other side. So we can agree AJ tried to make fight which was the original argument.

If we look at both fighters records, surely the one we have to question is Wilder. He's had 40 odd fights and beaten bums all the way up to a fight against a very old Cuban with high blood pressure. Fury clearly beat Wilder.

AJ has beaten far better than Wilder has. Wilder avoided Klitschko, which is what Shelley Finkel said himself in an interview.

Fury definitely didn't beat wilder! 

Draw right result. Fury on his backside 2/3 times .

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fury did beat wilder no doubt,but if the ref didn’t do a 18 count then wilder would of won

Thought it was a brilliant performance from AJ last night. Proved a lot of people - including me - wrong, who felt Ruiz had his number and Joshua wouldn't have the discipline to fight that way for 12 rounds, but it was brilliantly disciplined and he boxed to his strengths superbly.

Hands up, got that one wrong. Ruiz was a disgrace with his conditioning but was still dangerous and showed a tremendous chin throughout.

Whyte was absolute turd in his fight and clearly hadn't spent a lot of time training with the drug test stuff hanging over his head.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 00:29, JonDolman said:

If Joshua is boxes tentatively to eke out points wins against limited opponents such as Ruiz and Parker, he'll be literally running away from a stonking puncher like Wilder.

On 08/12/2019 at 20:11, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Thought it was a brilliant performance from AJ last night. Proved a lot of people - including me - wrong, who felt Ruiz had his number and Joshua wouldn't have the discipline to fight that way for 12 rounds, but it was brilliantly disciplined and he boxed to his strengths superbly.

Hands up, got that one wrong. Ruiz was a disgrace with his conditioning but was still dangerous and showed a tremendous chin throughout.

Whyte was absolute turd in his fight and clearly hadn't spent a lot of time training with the drug test stuff hanging over his head.

I thought it was an underwhelming performance against a limited opponent. Had he boxed like that against a top level fighter (one that trained and hadn't spent 3 months on the tequila), then I'd agree. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Well Whyte back as mandatory for the WBC.  He will get to fight whoever wins in Feb.   No doubt the WBC will find a way to ignore him again after that.. 

Something still doesn't seem right about this whole story, but ultimately if UKAD have now come out and formally cleared Dillian then the right thing to do is reinstate him as number 1 challenger.

Likely not until Feb 2021 though given the contractual fights between Fury and Wilder in 2020, I have a feeling Whyte might get a title shot elsewhere before that though, with a Joshua fight. He is in limbo a bit at present too as once this initial tranche of mandatory challengers is sorted (ordered to face Pulev by the IBF and Usyk by the WBO), he will have to pick voluntaries until the WBC situation is clear, so a Whyte rematch makes sense late next year.

I think he fights Pulev in March/April; drops the WBO so Usyk can fight another contender for the vacant belt and keep it in the Matchroom/DAZN stable, then AJ v Whyte in Quarter 4 of 2020.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mozo said:

If Joshua is boxes tentatively to eke out points wins against limited opponents such as Ruiz and Parker, he'll be literally running away from a stonking puncher like Wilder.

I thought it was an underwhelming performance against a limited opponent. Had he boxed like that against a top level fighter (one that trained and hadn't spent 3 months on the tequila), then I'd agree. 

A bit harsh imo mate, Joshua did ok.

I thought (based on the first fight) that he'd be drawn into a firefight at some stage, but obviously I hadn't factored in Andy mainlining milkshake for 6 months and being pretty much too obese to throw punches.

It was a controlled, calm performance from AJ, and he wasn't going to go in swinging like a rusty gate when his entire career was depending on the win. If Fury had won a title like that people would have been proclaiming him the heavyweight Mayweather.

That being said, some have been going well o.t.t in their praise too. I rarely agree with Frank Warren, but he's right; Ruiz was a ******* embarrassment going in to defend his titles in that condition. He threw away all his advantages in the ring in order to eat like a pig. I'm surprised he didn't scoff Canelo too when he hugged him after.

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Had to laugh when Warren said Fury would have KO’d him tho. Like when has he managed that for anyone in career. He’d have done exactly the same, maybe landing a few more punches. Ruiz has a chin alright - AJ tagged him a couple of times and he took them well 

Exactly Tom, Tyson keeps claiming he's knocking Wilder out this time too- he must still think it's WWE.

His last legitimate clean KO was probably the mighty cruiserweight Steve Cunningham back in 2013 haha.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stortz said:

A bit harsh imo mate, Joshua did ok.

I thought (based on the first fight) that he'd be drawn into a firefight at some stage, but obviously I hadn't factored in Andy mainlining milkshake for 6 months and being pretty much too obese to throw punches.

It was a controlled, calm performance from AJ, and he wasn't going to go in swinging like a rusty gate when his entire career was depending on the win. If Fury had won a title like that people would have been proclaiming him the heavyweight Mayweather.

That being said, some have been going well o.t.t in their praise too. I rarely agree with Frank Warren, but he's right; Ruiz was a ******* embarrassment going in to defend his titles in that condition. He threw away all his advantages in the ring in order to eat like a pig. I'm surprised he didn't scoff Canelo too when he hugged him after.

I think Parker and Hughie Fury would have out boxed that version of Ruiz. Time will tell if I'm underestimating where Joshua is as a fighter. I just see warning signs. He may or may not have a stress/anxiety problem outside of boxing, and he hasn't looked thunderous for some time. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think Parker and Hughie Fury would have out boxed that version of Ruiz. Time will tell if I'm underestimating where Joshua is as a fighter. I just see warning signs. He may or may not have a stress/anxiety problem outside of boxing, and he hasn't looked thunderous for some time. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Parker definitely, he beat a better version of Ruiz easily on points for me in 2016. Hughie may not have even thrown a punch for 12 rounds if he fought him haha.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming Joshua is better than he is, but it's obvious that he can be more effective following a Wlad template than continuing to ridiculously bulk up and try to knock people out like in his earlier career. He's sacrificing some of the 'thunderousness' for effectiveness with experience.

Wilder, (Meadowlark Lemon) must fancy a fight with the most affective argument for Veganism  there's ever been, in fact, before he gets so big he can't get to the press conference without first having the front of his house removed, get it made.. 

Meanwhile, AJ. Will fight Pulev, according to Hearn Jr, the personification of Lom in heavyweight form, well worth the £39.99 to be part of his journey. 

12 hours ago, Stortz said:

Parker definitely, he beat a better version of Ruiz easily on points for me in 2016. Hughie may not have even thrown a punch for 12 rounds if he fought him haha.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming Joshua is better than he is, but it's obvious that he can be more effective following a Wlad template than continuing to ridiculously bulk up and try to knock people out like in his earlier career. He's sacrificing some of the 'thunderousness' for effectiveness with experience.

Yeah I think the weight loss is a smart move. 

Re his box and move tactics, it doesn't look natural to him in my eyes.

I agree that he can't be a front foot bulldozer with a weak defence and tendency to walk onto punches, but he seems to me to have overcompensated by trying to appropriate the opposite style.

All he had to do was tighten up his guard and be more selective in his punching. Cut out the bravado. 

I don't think he has the boxing ability to be a slick, backfoot counterpuncher, but he could be a fantastic front foot fighter with small changes. I think this would have made for a more convincing win vs Ruiz.

It'll be interesting to see how he decides to fight v Usyk or Whyte. If I was Fury or Wilder, I'd fancy a go at Joshua straight away, before he gets his momentum back.