IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Its a shame because plant is spot on with what he said in the presser,Canelo and Fury will always have questions about their drug taking (unless you believe they all were actually eating wild boar)

Of course he is mate, 100%- but that's not going to help him on fight night is it!

He was bang on about Oscar Valdez too, absolutely disgraceful that fight v Conceicao went ahead.

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Of course he is mate, 100%- but that's not going to help him on fight night is it!

He was bang on about Oscar Valdez too, absolutely disgraceful that fight v Conceicao went ahead.

Just shows what a mockery boxing is mate that the p4p is a clear cheat and as for heavyweights it’s quicker to name the ones who haven’t been banned,Wilder is one but no amount of drugs is going to teach him how to box

30 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Just shows what a mockery boxing is mate that the p4p is a clear cheat and as for heavyweights it’s quicker to name the ones who haven’t been banned,Wilder is one but no amount of drugs is going to teach him how to box

The PEDs don't seem to be working on Wilder's scrawny weird legs either

image.png.0094e17a406415dceb882cd34db9243c.png

Wtf is going on there? He looks like Bambi!

• Haha 1

Joshua vs Usyk is a really interesting fight. Got no idea how it's going to play out - can see arguments for pretty much any eventuality.

I've liked Usyk for a while so I'll be supporting him, but make AJ the favourite on account of his size and power.

I'd say this is arguably Joshua's hardest fight. Klitschko was a good spectacle but he was clearly on a massive decline by that time. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Joshua vs Usyk is a really interesting fight. Got no idea how it's going to play out - can see arguments for pretty much any eventuality.

I've liked Usyk for a while so I'll be supporting him, but make AJ the favourite on account of his size and power.

I'd say this is arguably Joshua's hardest fight. Klitschko was a good spectacle but he was clearly on a massive decline by that time. 

Wouldn't say that at all. Fury gave him the run around in the fight before without really hurting him, but other than that he fought the same Klitschko that had bossed the heavyweight division for over 10 years previous. He was old and nearing retirement but Joshua put him straight into retirement by giving him a beating. Remember there was talk of a rematch but no way did Wlad want anymore of that punishment. Wlad did of course have an opportunity to finish Joshua off in round 6 but I don't think it had anything to do with any decline or age that he didn't. It was just Wlad just being his usual cautious self.

I'd agree AJ is certainly favourite based on size, power, and experience too.

The latest BBC Boxing pod with Bunce speaking to Chisora is worth a listen. Delboy giving his insight into fighting Usyk. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wouldn't say that at all. Fury gave him the run around in the fight before without really hurting him, but other than that he fought the same Klitschko that had bossed the heavyweight division for over 10 years previous. He was old and nearing retirement but Joshua put him straight into retirement by giving him a beating. Remember there was talk of a rematch but no way did Wlad want anymore of that punishment. Wlad did of course have an opportunity to finish Joshua off in round 6 but I don't think it had anything to do with any decline or age that he didn't. It was just Wlad just being his usual cautious self.

I'd agree AJ is certainly favourite based on size, power, and experience too.

The latest BBC Boxing pod with Bunce speaking to Chisora is worth a listen. Delboy giving his insight into fighting Usyk. 

They myth that AJ fought a washed up Klitschko makes me laugh, Fury beat him only 18months before and he was supposedly in his prime at that point and took very little punishment so to calim he was over the hill by the time Wembley happened is laughable.

AJ wins comfortably for me on Saturday, Usyk hasn't shown anything at Heavyweight that makes me think he will be able to hurt Joshua, the common thinking from pundits is that Usyk will be able to dance rings around AJ and win on points but he never managed that against Chisora who is levels below. AJ wins either by UD or Stoppage.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

They myth that AJ fought a washed up Klitschko makes me laugh, Fury beat him only 18months before and he was supposedly in his prime at that point and took very little punishment so to calim he was over the hill by the time Wembley happened is laughable.

AJ wins comfortably for me on Saturday, Usyk hasn't shown anything at Heavyweight that makes me think he will be able to hurt Joshua, the common thinking from pundits is that Usyk will be able to dance rings around AJ and win on points but he never managed that against Chisora who is levels below. AJ wins either by UD or Stoppage.

AJ wins if he takes the fight to usyk, if he tries to outbox him , usyk has the movement but not the power. But agree AJ should win. Personally think Fury loses to Wilder , too much      happening outside the ring for fury and a bit of complacency. @Stortz thoughts,

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It’s only a myth because Fury keeps saying it,boxing fans know the truth but the fury fan club lap it up,the only half decent heavyweight Usyk could beat is Wilder because he has the head movement to make wilders windmills miss,as for AJ or Fury not a chance 

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

No chance will AJ win on points

He KOs Usyk or gets out boxed

That is unless the judges have been paid off But that only happens in the USA not the UK!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

That is unless the judges have been paid off But that only happens in the USA not the UK!!!!!!

Why won’t AJ win on points can I ask,Usyk couldn’t out box Del Boy and AJ has shown in recent fights that he boxes just fine 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s only a myth because Fury keeps saying it,boxing fans know the truth but the fury fan club lap it up,the only half decent heavyweight Usyk could beat is Wilder because he has the head movement to make wilders windmills miss,as for AJ or Fury not a chance 

Think he gives Whyte a decent fight too albeit the power may be too much for him, Ruiz and that sort of level would struggle with him IMO.

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Usyk never schooled Chisora and although he won that fight it was closer than it should have been for a supposed lb for lb great. If Joshua can hurt him whenever they exchange early his confidence will drop and it may end up being a survival job.

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Don't agree mate, I think Joshua will win on points.

I can't see him catching Usyk cleanly or often enough to knock him out, but I also can't really see any way that Usyk can outpoint him on a Matchroom card with 70k there and given AJ's massively improved jab.

Or is this some sort of meta anti Matchroom jibe that I'm almost missing?!

Edited by Stortz

6 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Don't agree mate, I think Joshua will win on points.

I can't see him catching Usyk cleanly or often enough to knock him out, but I also can't really see any way that Usyk can outpoint him on a Matchroom card with 70k there and given AJ's massively improved jab.

Or is this some sort of meta anti Matchroom jibe that I'm almost missing?!

No anti Matchroom stuff 

3 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

No anti Matchroom stuff 

Fair enough, so do you not rate Joshua as a boxer at all then? Or do you just think Usyk is massively more skilled?

I think the improvements in AJ's boxing and mindset are very clearly evident in the last 5/6 fights- excepting the Ruiz loss when he chucked all of his tactical and physical advantages out of the window after getting nailed. His jab is noticeably more authoritative by the fight imo and his punch selection is improving too. He still admires his work far too much though, and it will really cost him one day for sure.

I'm with @Phileas Fogg , I properly love Usyk as a fighter and a character and would be 100% behind him against any other HW. Even if he produces the performance of his life though, I just can't see a realistic path to him winning this one. I'm intrigued to see if him and Loma Snr have an unexpected plan on Saturday night.

@Kid in the Riot, thanks for the heads up on the BBC Bunce and Chisora pod, very pertinent!

1 minute ago, Stortz said:

Fair enough, so do you not rate Joshua as a boxer at all then? Or do you just think Usyk is massively more skilled?

I think the improvements in AJ's boxing and mindset are very clearly evident in the last 5/6 fights- excepting the Ruiz loss when he chucked all of his tactical and physical advantages out of the window after getting nailed. His jab is noticeably more authoritative by the fight imo and his punch selection is improving too. He still admires his work far too much though, and it will really cost him one day for sure.

I'm with @Phileas Fogg , I properly love Usyk as a fighter and a character and would be 100% behind him against any other HW. Even if he produces the performance of his life though, I just can't see a realistic path to him winning this one. I'm intrigued to see if him and Loma Snr have an unexpected plan on Saturday night.

@Kid in the Riot, thanks for the heads up on the BBC Bunce and Chisora pod, very pertinent!

No problem. There was an hour on 5Live this evening too. Bellew was interesting. He's obviously been in with Usyk and has huge respect for him, and also was in AJs training camp last week watching his final sparring. 

He reckons AJs handspeed is actually the same speed, if not quicker than Usyk's, especially when throwing combinations. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No problem. There was an hour on 5Live this evening too. Bellew was interesting. He's obviously been in with Usyk and has huge respect for him, and also was in AJs training camp last week watching his final sparring. 

He reckons AJs handspeed is actually the same speed, if not quicker than Usyk's, especially when throwing combinations. 

Yes, I heard it- really interesting observations eh.

I think the issue is more where they're coming from than the speed alone where Usyk is concerned- the way he keeps you constantly off balance and reacting to his shots as per Delboy's description of being in with him. It's difficult to think of a more cerebral fighter operating at the top level atm.

3 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I think this is a cracker, the oldest adage in boxing is "a good big-un always beat a good little-un."

The size difference at the weigh in will be interesting...

Mate I am giddy with excitement!

I don't even mind paying Sky £25 for this one because I genuinely like both of the boxers and do not mind enriching either of them- and it's not often I think that haha.

1) beat Fulham

2) enjoy this ****ing great fight.

Job's a good 'un haha.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I always take what Bellew says with a huge pinch of salt. He is, understandably, very loyal to Matchroom so will always back the MR fighter. You'll never catch him saying a bad word about his friends in the sport.

I have no idea how this is going to go - the most likely outcome is probably Joshua PTS I think. His demeanour at yesterday's conference has got me wondering though.. seemed very strange. 

10 hours ago, Stortz said:

Yes great shout on the podcast - Bunce isn't everyone's cup of tea but personally I quite like him. The Chisora interview was very interesting.

I think perhaps stylistically Chisora (for reading into how Joshua vs Usyk will go) isn't the most useful comparison. Chisora's style is so different and I don't think Chisora is particularly scared of getting hurt. Post Ruiz, Joshua is understandably far more cautious and seems to worry about getting hurt.

I'm not sure how insightful this is, but it's a fairly interesting watch if you have a spare 30 mins (press conference analysis starts around the 16 min mark) - keep in mind though that Bruce is absolutely desperate to work with Matchroom so is fairly biased.

16 hours ago, Stortz said:

Just find AJ very manufactured A bit like Big Frank but better

9 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Just find AJ very manufactured A bit like Big Frank but better

I understand what you're saying but Joshua is light years ahead of Bruno at his peak in both technique and resume imo. I'll always consider Frank a bit of a hero though- I was properly gutted when Bonecrusher Smith and Tim Witherspoon did him in!

As an aside I've just clocked your location- my god I had some incredible nights at Pawlett Manor back in my well spent youth!

IT'S FIGHT DAY

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stortz said:

I understand what you're saying but Joshua is light years ahead of Bruno at his peak in both technique and resume imo. I'll always consider Frank a bit of a hero though- I was properly gutted when Bonecrusher Smith and Tim Witherspoon did him in!

As an aside I've just clocked your location- my god I had some incredible nights at Pawlett Manor back in my well spent youth!

IT'S FIGHT DAY

Looked back at the Holyfield  v Lewis first fight for any pointers as to the outcome tonight, the only conclusion I can draw from that is don't use incompitant  judges.

Just noticed that Usyks the same weight as Ruiz was for the New York shock.

Can't see Usyk planting his feet and swinging away like the rotund Mexican, but hay, might be his only chance ..

Still think late stoppage for AJ or wide points, it's  gunna be great .

Edited by B1ackbird