Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Boxing Thread


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Benn has really improved. He's got a good personality too - right mix of humble and brash. 

Broner would be a really good name. I think Josh Kelly could be a good fight for him too.

 

Watched Kelly s last fight Lots of skill and fast but when it got tough showed no heart what so ever

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 07:14, Phileas Fogg said:

Benn has really improved. He's got a good personality too - right mix of humble and brash. 

Broner would be a really good name. I think Josh Kelly could be a good fight for him too.

 

Can't agree, his dad is one of my favourite ever fighters but Conor really grinds my gears for some reason. He's certainly improved though and is clearly being groomed for PPV by Eddie and Sky.

14 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Williams v Andrade, redemption for Williams? Will Andrade take it too easy? Should be good.. 

 

Andrade via unanimous boring of the entire crowd to sleep.

13 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Watched Kelly s last fight Lots of skill and fast but when it got tough showed no heart what so ever

Absolutely this, he's spent too far long paying Adam Booth a shit load of wedge to blow smoke up his arse. You have to be spiteful and prepared to take some punishment as well as looking good throwing 16 punch combos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Can't agree, his dad is one of my favourite ever fighters but Conor really grinds my gears for some reason. He's certainly improved though and is clearly being groomed for PPV by Eddie and Sky.

I think he's just very well media trained. I thought speaking Spanish to his opponent was pretty cool, although clearly a bit of a gimmick

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he's just very well media trained. I thought speaking Spanish to his opponent was pretty cool, although clearly a bit of a gimmick

Didn't really understand why he was calling out Khan. Everybody knows Khan is finished at the top level as is Brook.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he's just very well media trained. I thought speaking Spanish to his opponent was pretty cool, although clearly a bit of a gimmick

Isn't that one of your biggest bugbears about Joshua though?!

Benn was sat bemoaning his lot and the terrible cruelty of being away from his family to earn sacks of cash before the fight- not sure that's very media savvy

Also calling out Amir Khan after the fight? He might as well have called out Emile Griffith for the relevance Khan has now haha.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Isn't that one of your biggest bugbears about Joshua though?!

Benn was sat bemoaning his lot and the terrible cruelty of being away from his family to earn sacks of cash before the fight- not sure that's very media savvy

Also calling out Amir Khan after the fight? He might as well have called out Emile Griffith for the relevance Khan has now haha.

I feel it doesn't come naturally to Joshua, Benn is much more naturally charismatic. I think Joshua is much better off the cuff. Occasionally on iFL or other interviews he can be much more engaging, usually when he's a bit annoyed. He's at his worst on Graham Norton or something, so out of his element!

I can see why they'd like Khan for him based on profile. Doesn't look like Khan takes it too seriously anymore so could potentially be a big scalp

Link to post
Share on other sites

Extended interview with Benn on Bunce/Costello podcast before the fight and I have to say; I like him. It's true to say that he didn't have to get involved in a dangerous sport and make all of the undoubted sacrifices any pro boxer has to make. Will be interesting to see how far he can go as he accepted after the fight on Saturday, he isn't necessarily the most naturally gifted boxer, so is going to have to make up for it in spades with hard work and graft.

Anyway, today should be the day of some news on Joshua/Fury. Hopefully rumours of the deadline for a June/July fight being missed, or even Fury taking a warm-up fight first, aren't true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I feel it doesn't come naturally to Joshua, Benn is much more naturally charismatic. I think Joshua is much better off the cuff. Occasionally on iFL or other interviews he can be much more engaging, usually when he's a bit annoyed. He's at his worst on Graham Norton or something, so out of his element!

I can see why they'd like Khan for him based on profile. Doesn't look like Khan takes it too seriously anymore so could potentially be a big scalp

Haha fair enough.

I was being a bit facetious about a fight with Khan- he'd be good on Benn's resume because of his achievements, of course.

The thing is Khan's only any sort of major draw any more in his own mind. I heard him trapping on the other day about potentially fighting Brook at Old Trafford! Maybe in 2014, Amir.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Extended interview with Benn on Bunce/Costello podcast before the fight and I have to say; I like him. It's true to say that he didn't have to get involved in a dangerous sport and make all of the undoubted sacrifices any pro boxer has to make. Will be interesting to see how far he can go as he accepted after the fight on Saturday, he isn't necessarily the most naturally gifted boxer, so is going to have to make up for it in spades with hard work and graft.

Anyway, today should be the day of some news on Joshua/Fury. Hopefully rumours of the deadline for a June/July fight being missed, or even Fury taking a warm-up fight first, aren't true.

Agreed, so don't sit there bloody moaning about it then!

There's a decent case from Fury's point of view to shake off some rust before a Joshua fight. There must be a 5'4 Hungarian or similar eager to make some cash too!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Agreed, so don't sit there bloody moaning about it then!

There's a decent case from Fury's point of view to shake off some rust before a Joshua fight. There must be a 5'4 Hungarian or similar eager to make some cash too!

He's only 24 and just had a kid, sounded to me like he was just letting out some frustration at not being able to spend much time with his newborn. I think that's understandable. 

I'll get on the blower to one of my Albanian builders!! Game as **** AND they accept cash!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2021 at 10:42, Stortz said:

Can't agree, his dad is one of my favourite ever fighters but Conor really grinds my gears for some reason. He's certainly improved though and is clearly being groomed for PPV by Eddie and Sky.

Andrade via unanimous boring of the entire crowd to sleep.

Absolutely this, he's spent too far long paying Adam Booth a shit load of wedge to blow smoke up his arse. You have to be spiteful and prepared to take some punishment as well as looking good throwing 16 punch combos.

Is he that bad Stortz? I haven't seen him, is he as 'pragmatic' as Andre Ward? 

Never mind, we're due another Curry v Honeyghan upset soon.. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B1ackbird said:

Is he that bad Stortz? I haven't seen him, is he as 'pragmatic' as Andre Ward? 

Never mind, we're due another Curry v Honeyghan upset soon.. 

 

Mate he makes Andre Ward look like Arturo Gatti haha. He's a very good technical boxer, just massively risk averse.

Canelo gives him short shrift haha:

'Alvarez didn't hold back when asked why he hasn't answered Andrade's call.

"The truth is he hasn't fought with anyone, hasn't fought against anyone, and he's also boring, very boring," Alvarez said. "Maybe he's a good fighter, but he's a boring fighter, and at the end of the day, when there's a boring fight, people are going to blame me. I like fights where there's action, where people can enjoy a good show. That's very important for me. But also he doesn't represent a challenge for me, as well, because he hasn't fought against anybody."'

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/boxing/canelo-dismisses-demetrius-andrade-as-a-future-opponent-hes-a-boring-fighter/14n0m4r3ldbrh15ljw30lvaltb

I'll watch tomorrow morning, but can't see Williams pulling a Honeyghan- and BooBoo is no Curry!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Mate he makes Andre Ward look like Arturo Gatti haha. He's a very good technical boxer, just massively risk averse.

Canelo gives him short shrift haha:

'Alvarez didn't hold back when asked why he hasn't answered Andrade's call.

"The truth is he hasn't fought with anyone, hasn't fought against anyone, and he's also boring, very boring," Alvarez said. "Maybe he's a good fighter, but he's a boring fighter, and at the end of the day, when there's a boring fight, people are going to blame me. I like fights where there's action, where people can enjoy a good show. That's very important for me. But also he doesn't represent a challenge for me, as well, because he hasn't fought against anybody."'

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/boxing/canelo-dismisses-demetrius-andrade-as-a-future-opponent-hes-a-boring-fighter/14n0m4r3ldbrh15ljw30lvaltb

I'll watch tomorrow morning, but can't see Williams pulling a Honeyghan- and BooBoo is no Curry!

 

Ooh, hang on it's in the afternoon in Miami, so an 8pm start on DAZN, 11 for the main.

Happy days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Ooh, hang on it's in the afternoon in Miami, so an 8pm start on DAZN, 11 for the main.

Happy days.

Genuine antagonism between them at the weigh in. 

It doesn't take much to wind Andrada up.. 

From what I can remember Curry didn't even have to take the Honeyghan fight as making the weight was killing him and he planned on moving up a division anyway, he just saw it as an easy pay day.. 

Never the same after that beating.. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Genuine antagonism between them at the weigh in. 

It doesn't take much to wind Andrada up.. 

From what I can remember Curry didn't even have to take the Honeyghan fight as making the weight was killing him and he planned on moving up a division anyway, he just saw it as an easy pay day.. 

Never the same after that beating.. 

I remember staying up to listen to it live on Radio 2 as a kid haha, could barely believe what I was hearing! 35 years ago in September, jeeze.

Andrade comes over as a really prickly character tbf. No matter what he's said in the build up, he clearly doesn't think Williams has any right to be in with him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I remember staying up to listen to it live on Radio 2 as a kid haha, could barely believe what I was hearing! 35 years ago in September, jeeze.

Andrade comes over as a really prickly character tbf. No matter what he's said in the build up, he clearly doesn't think Williams has any right to be in with him.

Me too, I think it was Ian Dark commentating , 35 years, wow.. 

I remember Colin 'the dig' Jones v curry, (split his nose) and his two fights against McCrory.. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a massive quitting jess that Pearson is.

Ebanie Bridges' eye was twice as bad as that last week. Looking for a way out all night.

Majidov tried to carry on after this earlier:

image.png.9d2e240525713b26d5606faa525ad731.png

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stortz said:

What a massive quitting jess that Pearson is.

Ebanie Bridges' eye was twice as bad as that last week. Looking for a way out all night.

Majidov tried to carry on after this earlier:

image.png.9d2e240525713b26d5606faa525ad731.png

  He didn't want to come out and play did he.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Wow, Andrade came out firing!

Williams looks an absolute sucker for that uppercut.

edit, oh dear, oh dear haha. Poor Williams. Some inept shit this.

Andrade too quick ATM.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Andrade too quick ATM.. 

Williams definitely caught him a few times in the 3rd.

He's coming back into it on heart alone, he's clearly massively technically outgunned.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame Andrade doesn't fight like this all the time, because he's been excellent tonight.

edit and as i post that he reverts to type and gets on his bike. I mean, he's entitled, but...

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Please Liam,

 

knock him out

Andrade holding and spoliing, Williams needs to make the space to work, he's getting smothered after landing single shots because Andrade knows he's miles ahead on the cards.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

116-111 Andrade.

Williams didn't show enough quality, but there was no doubting his heart. Once Andrade thought he was ahead he reverted to spoiling and flashy pot shotting as per. He is generally horrible to watch.

edit- 118- 109 x2 was harsh on Liam.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...