IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not sure crolla can beat him mate 

Not on tonight's showing, you're right.

Crolla should have stepped on him earlier and tried to rough him up imo, the first 3 rounds he seemed to just watch him. If anyone was throwing low  blows, it should have been Crolla! They were obviously hoping Linares would gas.

Such a classy display from Linares though, some incredible combinations, even when Crolla was trying to force the pace.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

On a side note, I couldn't believe that Jeff Lacy appeared at half time last night. I see that he's lost four of his last six fights as well.

Really?! I totally missed that, stupid thirst for half time booze!

@Super, I give Clev a fair chance tbh. Braehmer has a few miles on the clock now but he is one wily, awkward bugger with a decent amount of power left. I guess it depends which version of Clev turns up, if it's the one who fought Fonfara to a standstill in that great FOTY contender last October he has a real chance, if it's the one that stank the place out in the second Bellew fight, he's toast.

The Fonfara fight highlights:

12 hours ago, Stortz said:

Really?! I totally missed that, stupid thirst for half time booze!

@Super, I give Clev a fair chance tbh. Braehmer has a few miles on the clock now but he is one wily, awkward bugger with a decent amount of power left. I guess it depends which version of Clev turns up, if it's the one who fought Fonfara to a standstill in that great FOTY contender last October he has a real chance, if it's the one that stank the place out in the second Bellew fight, he's toast.

The Fonfara fight highlights:

It was quite obscure, and he was met with bemused indifference from most of the crowd. To be fair I may have never heard of him if he hadn't fought Calzaghe, I'm not as big a boxing follower as many on this thread.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Quite the stock fallen since fighting JC - who fair enough schooled him but it was a  decent fight. Should have stayed retired at 25-2 but probably scrapping around for money if he's fighting as low as he is now 

Yep, a shame for him that it all seems to have fallen apart after one hammering. Must confess that the Calzaghe fight is the only time I've seen him though, so I have no real clue how he looked before and after that.

39 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It was quite obscure, and he was met with bemused indifference from most of the crowd. To be fair I may have never heard of him if he hadn't fought Calzaghe, I'm not as big a boxing follower as many on this thread.

Yep, a shame for him that it all seems to have fallen apart after one hammering. Must confess that the Calzaghe fight is the only time I've seen him though, so I have no real clue how he looked before and after that.

What a battering Calzaghe gave him that night, it was an imperious performance from one of our best ever boxers. People were comparing Lacy to a mini Tyson before the fight (as they had poor Gerald McClellan before him) but he was never anything like the same fighter after that.

The Calzaghe documentary from last year is brilliant by the way, well worth a watch for any boxing fan

I've just seen that Sky are also showing Joseph Parker's fight against the handy Alexander Dimitrenko during the Braehmer v Cleverly coverage. Will be very interesting to see how he goes with the AJ fight looming on the horizon.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10595712/sky-sports-to-show-anthony-joshua-challenger-joseph-parker-fight-alexander-dimitrenko

35 minutes ago, Stortz said:

What a battering Calzaghe gave him that night, it was an imperious performance from one of our best ever boxers. People were comparing Lacy to a mini Tyson before the fight (as they had poor Gerald McClellan before him) but he was never anything like the same fighter after that.

The Calzaghe documentary from last year is brilliant by the way, well worth a watch for any boxing fan

I've just seen that Sky are also showing Joseph Parker's fight against the handy Alexander Dimitrenko during the Braehmer v Cleverly coverage. Will be very interesting to see how he goes with the AJ fight looming on the horizon.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10595712/sky-sports-to-show-anthony-joshua-challenger-joseph-parker-fight-alexander-dimitrenko

They certainly were. I was living in Wales at the time and watched the fight with several Welsh mates, all of whom were bricking it for weeks on the basis of Lacy's reputation. 

13 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

They certainly were. I was living in Wales at the time and watched the fight with several Welsh mates, all of whom were bricking it for weeks on the basis of Lacy's reputation. 

Hee hee, so was Joe! He admits in the documentary that he was intimidated by Lacy and wanted to pull out of the fight as he was carrying a previous hand injury (he could potentially have been a bone fide super middle GOAT if his hands hadn't been so delicate), but Enzo wasn't having a bar of it and ordered him to carry on and fight!

Good job he did, the fear brought out his greatest ever performance. The only points he dropped on the cards were for rabbit punches and Lacy was in bits.

• Like 1

For those who don't know, big boxing show in Cardiff 22nd Oct (Same day as Blackburn at home).

We had ringside seats as wanted to see Chris Eubank Jr. As we all know, he pulled out with pathetic excuses. Whilst I still rate him as a boxer and entertainer, as I person, I've lost a lot of respect for the man (coupled with his Kell Brook/Towel comments).

BUT THE GOOD NEWS: none other than world champ Billy Joe Saunders has now filled the void against an unnamed opponent. At ringside seats I can't wait to see this now! Lots of other British title fights on that night too, will be epic. 

None of this looks good for Eubank Jr though, who's name will undoubtedly be muck in Cardiff that night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Hee hee, so was Joe! He admits in the documentary that he was intimidated by Lacy and wanted to pull out of the fight as he was carrying a previous hand injury (he could potentially have been a bone fide super middle GOAT if his hands hadn't been so delicate), but Enzo wasn't having a bar of it and ordered him to carry on and fight!

Good job he did, the fear brought out his greatest ever performance. The only points he dropped on the cards were for rabbit punches and Lacy was in bits.

That's interesting. I will watch it when I have a quiet moment, thanks for posting it. Hope Joe bought his old man a few pints after that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

For those who don't know, big boxing show in Cardiff 22nd Oct (Same day as Blackburn at home).

We had ringside seats as wanted to see Chris Eubank Jr. As we all know, he pulled out with pathetic excuses. Whilst I still rate him as a boxer and entertainer, as I person, I've lost a lot of respect for the man (coupled with his Kell Brook/Towel comments).

BUT THE GOOD NEWS: none other than world champ Billy Joe Saunders has now filled the void against an unnamed opponent. At ringside seats I can't wait to see this now! Lots of other British title fights on that night too, will be epic. 

None of this looks good for Eubank Jr though, who's name will undoubtedly be muck in Cardiff that night.

Think that's a nationwide phenomenon now Sarj! Hope you have a great night.

46 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's interesting. I will watch it when I have a quiet moment, thanks for posting it. Hope Joe bought his old man a few pints after that!

Do, it's an excellent watch, as much about fathers and sons as Joe's career. Enjoy!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Quite the stock fallen since fighting JC - who fair enough schooled him but it was a  decent fight. Should have stayed retired at 25-2 but probably scrapping around for money if he's fighting as low as he is now 

One of the best displays by a British world champion I've ever seen, JC didn't lose a part of any round.