IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

2 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

God we've got a right bunch of red top wannabe amateur journalists on here tonight. Talk about taking things out of context. AJ was being sarcastic stating and giving props to Usyks skill that will, 9/10 times win fights over heart and power!!

Saying that, his rambling was slightly cringe, although i respect the guy for speaking from the heart without filter, there's a time and a place. We've all been there though. 

He threw the belts out the ring and stormed off. . His rant was very weird. Ukraine also isn’t at civil war.  If he’s got any self awareness at all he will wake up tomorrow feeling embarrassed. 

• Like 1

AJs career has been a huge myth, made to look better by fighting mediocre boxers. Hearn tried to big him up with his record but apart from Parker and Povetkin the rest were nobodies and has beens. Even lost to Ruiz which was literally the biggest embarrassment in heavyweight boxing.

The second he thought someone with any ability he got bullied for probably 21/22 rounds over the two fights.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

AJs career has been a huge myth, made to look better by fighting mediocre boxers. Hearn tried to big him up with his record but apart from Parker and Povetkin the rest were nobodies and has beens. Even lost to Ruiz which was literally the biggest embarrassment in heavyweight boxing.

The second he thought someone with any ability he got bullied for probably 21/22 rounds over the two fights.

You don’t win titles if you can’t box. He’s just not as good as the other top heavyweights currently active.

The whole heavyweight division is a bit of a myth, usyk and fury are miles ahead of the rest. Just look at zhang v hrgovic, not good enough to step in the ring with those two, same as Whyte, Parker, Joyce, Dubois etc. 

Wilder may have a say, he’s still not really proven as he lost to fury, was fury amazing or wilder rubbish?? 

AJ needs a massive PR job and outside of a fight with wilder I don’t see any fight that you would pay to watch. 

Also how poor was he in the clinch last night, usyk pushed him off or wriggled free every time, embarrassing for a big man. Fury will wrap him up and lean on him all night. 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2022 at 21:24, Danwal said:

The whole heavyweight division is a bit of a myth, usyk and fury are miles ahead of the rest. Just look at zhang v hrgovic, not good enough to step in the ring with those two, same as Whyte, Parker, Joyce, Dubois etc. 

Wilder may have a say, he’s still not really proven as he lost to fury, was fury amazing or wilder rubbish?? 

AJ needs a massive PR job and outside of a fight with wilder I don’t see any fight that you would pay to watch. 

Also how poor was he in the clinch last night, usyk pushed him off or wriggled free every time, embarrassing for a big man. Fury will wrap him up and lean on him all night. 

You say AJ needs a massive PR job

Sorry but

AJ is nothing but a massive PR job 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually had it closer than a few of you chaps. I thought AJ won a few of the earlier rounds by landing the more hurtful shots. I thought Usyk did great with his feet but not much with his hands.

Still I had Usyk winning and I feel bad for Joshua because it really was only the Championship rounds where endurance won the fight for Usyk.

What was really interesting is how the pre-fight narrative was all wrong. There was all this talk about how Usyk was bigger and adapting, when in fact he weighed the same as the last fight.

Also, it was expected that Joshua would be attackminded and roughhouse from the first bell, which didn't happen. Granted he landed a couple of low blows and was strong in the clinch, but nothing like the aggression we predicted. Everyone was saying 'treat it like a 6 rounder' but he absolutely didn't go for broke.

In the end the fight was really similar to their first one, but with AJ just less naive. He planted his feet more, didn't retreat unnecessarily and targeted the body better.

I wouldn't call it a masterclass from Usyk simply because he didn't land much, but he's a top notch fighter, and it was great for Ukraine.

I think Fury beats Usyk. 

I'm sure Hearn can find some benign fights for Joshua but can't see them selling out an arena without having a bloody good co-headline.

If suggest he avoids Joyce, who I think has the tools to embarass AJ.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

AJ v Whyte would have some beef and the build up for sure would be good.  Likewise I think if they could line up Wilder that wouldn’t be a bad fight. He probably needs a low key tune up in Dec this year, maybe Whyte April next year and Wilder end of year?  Meanwhile Fury v Usyk June next year at Wembley or spurs please 

Yeah agree ? 

Is Wallin too risky?

You know what, a third fight with Ruiz wouldn't be a bad idea at some stage. Even a slimmed down Ruiz shouldn't be able to handle a focused AJ and everyone likes a trilogy. 

I thought AJ's tactics, were alot better - but still not quite right

He needed to start quicker. I always thought he had about 6 or 7 rounds to stop uysk.

He needed to put the pressure on from round 1. But he was far too relaxed.

He almost stopped uysk in the 9th - if that came earlier - he has the energy to finish him.

Fair play to uysk. I really like him. Funny guy and very skillful.

The way AJ acted after the fight - think he was clearly concussed. He was acting bizarre and its totally out of character for AJ. he's usually quite boring, personality wise.

And saying Uysk isnt skilled? clear signs of concussion - because AJ knows he skilled and AJ isnt a sore loser- If anything, he's too good a loser usually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomF said:

AJ v Whyte would have some beef and the build up for sure would be good.  Likewise I think if they could line up Wilder that wouldn’t be a bad fight. He probably needs a low key tune up in Dec this year, maybe Whyte April next year and Wilder end of year?  Meanwhile Fury v Usyk June next year at Wembley or spurs please 

No chance Aj v Wilder 

Not even sure AJ v Whyte

Hearn wont risk his cash cow getting beat again Will find him some bum who can't punch his way out of a crisp packet and try to sell it as the fight of the decade 

17 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

You say AJ needs a massive PR job

Sorry but

AJ is nothing but a massive PR job 

Daft thing to say. The bloke's had 12 world title fights on the spin.

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

No chance Aj v Wilder 

Not even sure AJ v Whyte

Hearn wont risk his cash cow getting beat again Will find him some bum who can't punch his way out of a crisp packet and try to sell it as the fight of the decade 

See above. AJ has had plenty of "risky" fights. Most people had Usyk winning this rematch, but AJ and Hearn still took it, knowing it was very high risk. Certain other boxers/promoters don't take risks like that. Could've quite easily given AJ an easier opponent as a warm-up.

7 hours ago, mozo said:

I'm sure Hearn can find some benign fights for Joshua but can't see them selling out an arena without having a bloody good co-headline.

Really? I think he still sells out arenas like the O2 in London and Manchester, no problem. As @TomF says, an all-British dust-up against say Whyte probably even still fills a stadium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Daft thing to say. The bloke's had 12 world title fights on the spin.

See above. AJ has had plenty of "risky" fights. Most people had Usyk winning this rematch, but AJ and Hearn still took it, knowing it was very high risk. Certain other boxers/promoters don't take risks like that. Could've quite easily given AJ an easier opponent as a warm-up.

Really? I think he still sells out arenas like the O2 in London and Manchester, no problem. As @TomF says, an all-British dust-up against say Whyte probably even still fills a stadium.

I'll comment on three points...

The potential reward of this Usyk fight was so obviously huge that of course he would take the risk.

Regards taking a risk next up, let's wait and see what gets announced. From interviews with Hearn it sounds to me like they want something relatively benign. Happy to be proven wrong in time.

A Whyte fight would clearly sell out an arena because there is a healthy narrative and they're both top 10 in the world.

If however he gets matched up next with Dave Allen or Bermane Stiverne or some durable but talentless pug from Poland it hardly warrants £24.99 ppv and the O2.

Edited by mozo
Moved sentences to a better order

Is there cause for concern regards Anthony Joshua's mental health? 

There was a lot of speculation around his defeat to Ruiz Jr when let's face it, he appeared to be in a daze for much of fight night.

He then adopted a very tentative boxing strategy and has accepted that he wasn't 'mentally right' for the first Usyk defeat. 

Then the behaviour from the weekend just gone which was pretty erratic. I'm tempted to just put that down to the emotion, fatigue and possibly concussion, but who knows. 

Hearn said after the fight that AJ 'doesn't have a life' because of his dedication to boxing and suggested his fighter needed a holiday. Then in classic promoter style Hearn insisted that he wanted Joshua back in the ring in December!

22 hours ago, TomF said:

I saw somewhere they were looking at making that for Dec 17th day before WC final. Not sure whether that's possible as obviously won't be in this country.

Was absolutely delighted to see Usyk get the win.

He comes across really well, no bs at all, happy to be the away fighter, won everything there is to win and is a credit to Ukraine.

I've never liked Joshua and feel vindicated after his true colours came out for all to see on Saturday. 

Fury vs Usyk has to happen now - I hope the negotiation is fairly pain free and it happens before the end of 2022. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was absolutely delighted to see Usyk get the win.

He comes across really well, no bs at all, happy to be the away fighter, won everything there is to win and is a credit to Ukraine.

I've never liked Joshua and feel vindicated after his true colours came out for all to see on Saturday. 

Fury vs Usyk has to happen now - I hope the negotiation is fairly pain free and it happens before the end of 2022. 

I think most will disagree on the AJ point but you've got every right to take that view.

Warren said the Usyk Fury fight is easy to make, so let's hope that's right.

It sounds like Fury will push for huge money so Saudi sportswashing should do the job.

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think most will disagree on the AJ point but you've got every right to take that view.

Warren said the Usyk Fury fight is easy to make, so let's hope that's right.

It sounds like Fury will push for huge money so Saudi sportswashing should do the job.

He's not a good guy in my opinion. The Eddie Chambers thing in 2017 was very nicely brushed under the carpet but you can find it if you do a couple of google searches.

The Loughborough incident the other month was clearly a massive red flag for what was to come on Saturday. 

In Joshua's defence, it must be very difficult being in the public eye as much as he has for a decade. He has been built into a brand and with that comes expectation. I'm not surprised the pressure got to him eventually. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's not a good guy in my opinion. The Eddie Chambers thing in 2017 was very nicely brushed under the carpet but you can find it if you do a couple of google searches.

The Loughborough incident the other month was clearly a massive red flag for what was to come on Saturday. 

In Joshua's defence, it must be very difficult being in the public eye as much as he has for a decade. He has been built into a brand and with that comes expectation. I'm not surprised the pressure got to him eventually. 

Yep, everyone has their good and bad days. It is interesting that you don't afford Joshua the same relief that you give Fury, given he has:

1) Been banned for doping;

2) Homophobic comments;

3) Anti-semitic comments; and

4) Sexist comments.

Difficult to see how, given the above, Fury can be considered a "good guy".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, everyone has their good and bad days. It is interesting that you don't afford Joshua the same relief that you give Fury, given he has:

1) Been banned for doping;

2) Homophobic comments;

3) Anti-semitic comments; and

4) Sexist comments.

Difficult to see how, given the above, Fury can be considered a "good guy".

I agree that there's an awful lot of history being rewritten generally, but @Phileas Fogg had been consistent in his dislike of Joshua for many years tbf!

I think people are revelling in AJ's fall from grace especially because of the image Eddie and Matchroom worked so hard to cultivate- it always seemed a little too media polished. Fury wasn't held to anything like this account for the far worse behaviour you outline above, I guess because people expected it from him (other than the doping).

An awful lot of casual Joshua fanboys jumped ship quickly after the Ruiz defeat and started loudly backing Fury instead like it's supporting rival football teams, and these are the people giving Joshua most of the shit now- deserved to an extent though you could argue it is.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1