IGNORED

The Official Preston North End v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Sorry everyone.. I tried to search for last season's thread of same fixture but the new platform otib search box kept spitting out my request.. this, MODS, has actually been happening to me on Chrome since the day you went live.. fyi.

I wanted to ensure no repetition of my same fixture thread.

Anyway.. lets just throw this thread open to others this time to see if they can add some interesting facts about Albert Finney's Preston and the town of the same name.

I did say 0-2 on Yohsi's predictor but would be equally unsurprised if its 1-1. I actually think we have a real chance tonight though with all things considered. 

Kodjia and Wilbs, one goal in each half.

Off for a Filipino Indian.. whatever that is.. I'll let you know later.

UTC.

To add a bit of meat to the bone of Havanatopia's original post who would have thought that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid have links to Preston.

Butch did emanate from Preston and is said that the spoke with a "Lanky" twang. Born Robert LeRoy Parker in Beaver, Utah on April 13, 1866, Cassidy was the first of 13 children. His Mormon parents had come to Utah from England in 1856, his father came from Preston. http://www.utah.com/adventures/old_west/butch_cassidy.htm 

Also perhaps more interestingly The first Kentucky Fried Chicken shop in the UK was opened in Preston in 1965

And there was I thinking it was a cultural backwater.

• Like 1

The Preston by pass was opened in 1958 becoming Britain's first motorway, it later became part of the M6. The M6 being the route many Preston fans took to watch their team thrash Swindon 4-0 at Wembley stadium in the 2015 play-off final.

The black Horse pub is the only one in the country to have 3 public entrances on 3 different streets. Coincidently Jermaine Beckford scored 3 goals in the 2015 League 1 play-off final thrashing of Swindon.

• Like 2

The Preston by pass was opened in 1958 becoming Britain's first motorway, it later became part of the M6. The M6 being the route many Preston fans took to watch their team thrash Swindon 4-0 at Wembley stadium in the 2015 play-off final.

The black Horse pub is the only one in the country to have 3 public entrances on 3 different streets. Coincidently Jermaine Beckford scored 3 goals in the 2015 League 1 play-off final thrashing of Swindon.

Don't forget to mention that they thrashed those Pantomine dames from Swindon in the play offs ... Oh you did n't .:P

Havana, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned that when Nogbad and pals followed City to Deepdale one wintry Saturday in the 80's there were 2 very odd blokes dressed as cowboys in the City end. Full regalia - stetsons, studded belts, cowboy boots, the lot (well, no pistols or lassos) and the wear and tear indicated these were their everyday clothes, not fancy dress.

As the match progressed, and PNE scored, it became clear that these 2 oddbods were openly supporting Preston in our end, seemingly completely oblivious to the annoyance that might cause. However nobody objected too strongly as they had real spurs - evil looking sharp metallic outcrops sticking out several inches - on the heel of their boots, which could have caused alot of damage if they'd backheeled either in anger, celebration, or even accidentally. Very much potentially dangerous weapons and so visible you'd expect they'd have been removed at the turnstiles. So, as they weren't actively agitating in any way, apart from numerous dirty looks they were simply given a wide berth by what, after all, was a fairly small City following on a spacious, if fenced off, away terrace. 

The impression we got was the bizarre duo appeared so comfortable, at home, and impervious to the away fans that they were probably in this spot in the away end dressed like this every week with the full knowledge of the police and whatever stewards there might have been at the time, whoever the opposition. Quite surreal. 

• Like 1

Sorry everyone.. I tried to search for last season's thread of same fixture but the new platform otib search box kept spitting out my request.. this, MODS, has actually been happening to me on Chrome since the day you went live.. fyi.

I wanted to ensure no repetition of my same fixture thread.

Anyway.. lets just throw this thread open to others this time to see if they can add some interesting facts about Albert Finney's Preston and the town of the same name.

I did say 0-2 on Yohsi's predictor but would be equally unsurprised if its 1-1. I actually think we have a real chance tonight though with all things considered. 

Kodjia and Wilbs, one goal in each half.

Off for a Filipino Indian.. whatever that is.. I'll let you know later.

UTC.

Condensed Version:

Preston

Another place oop North best lost.

The barmaid in the pub beside the station does have lovely big breasts.

Are you going to eat something afterwards ?

the filipino indian quenched my appetite rather well but i did feel the need for some food afterwards. Oh i see what u did there Ise !!

I was going to add that no doubt the reason the M6 was indeed the first bit of motorway in the country was because the boys with the tarmacadam machine needed to be close to KFC, whoops sorry Kentucky Fried Chicken, for their lunch breaks. It was absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was the last decent (thats a larf) meal before haggis land. 

I did enjoy the bit about Butch and Sundance; surely it behooves somebody to open a tru cowboy style diner in the town as homage. Now there's an idea.