IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Reading Match Day Thread

Good morning all. I would like to suggest that last nights opening match of the Rugby World Cup, when England ground out an eventual fairly comfortable win, can provide an inspirational lesson to City. Clearly England are a better team and were expected to win but they had to bring the heavy weights on in order to out muscle Fiji. While I admire City's adherence to our undoubtedly easy on the eye football we need to have a back up plan to grind out our own results if that is what it takes. Perhaps we simply do not have the resources or the bodies for such a formation in order to adapt but hopefully we soon will and then grow into this season in a positive upwardly mobile trajectory fashion.

So it is Reading. They have come a long way since I remember the day when I visited Elm Park and got caught up in a rather nasty riot. I think that was when we were both in Division 4 gunning for promotion along with York, Doncaster and Chester. Rob Newman took no nonsense for us back then. 

Reading strikes me as a nicer, wealthier version of Swindon.. not hard I suppose. And it was once in the top ten in terms of wealth and population but those days are long gone although clearly it remains a rather comfy commuter town for London and does boast some, perhaps only a few, important pieces of architecture from the old days such as Reading Abbey. Thomas Hardy, however, thought Reading was a bit of a dump when he wrote about it in 'Jude the Obscure' ever so slightly disguised in the fictitious Aldbrickham. 

And does being called Readingum, that old name from the 8th century, herald from travellers pondering the thought of stopping to have new iron hooves or a pint, two industries synonymous with the place, or to continue west? 

When the Kennet & Avon Canal opened in 1810 one could navigate all the way from Readingum to the Bristol Channel so the question probably answered itself. Oscar Wilde did not ponder to continue that journey though as he had no choice; being banged up in Reading Gaol at the end of the 19th century.

Perhaps that is what sums up the place.. neither lovely nor horrible just a place, to this day, one might stop off at to fill the tank or watch a rock concert down by the Thames. Even Charles Dickens was wanted as their MP but he turned them down and I doubt Ricky Gervais or Jane Austen particularly wanted to live there any longer than they did.. Reading; an OK place but a bit obscure.

As for football? 1871.. wow thats old, known as the 'Biscuit Men' after another trade in the town apart from Beer and Iron. And how about this 'claim to fame'..in the early 20th century the team, now professional and playing at Elm Park, toured Italy and thrashed AC Milan 5-0, beat Genoa 4-2, the Italian national team 2-0, amongst others, prompting Corriere Della Sera to announce that Reading were the finest foreign team to visit Italy. That was about it for Reading until Madjeski took over in 1991. Prior to that I can remember them attracting crowds of around four to five thousand at best. Reading strike me as one of the very few old established league clubs, spending the vast majority of their existence in the lower two divisions, transforming themselves into a top 2 tier club. The archetypal 'SkySports' Child.

Obscure or not though they pose a threat like any other club in this division. Does Steve Clarke have the wherewithal to see them challenge at the right end of the table? He seems to have the credentials to do so and, for sure, a very strong squad; if anything he has too many decent players and keeping them all happy could be a challenge.

Losing to Derby by a single goal after thrashing Ipswich sums up football and this league. We need to keep the trap shut and be very wary that whoever comes in for the suspended Orlando Sa is not an unknown quantity. We do not want any surprises so marking that guy early doors will be key in my opinion. I think there could be a lot of goals, duhhhh, all the signs suggest so unless both teams really shut up shop. Not yet our forte though is it?

3-2 to City.. our first home win of the season with Kodjia and Wilbs again on the score sheet with a toss up between Flint and, making amends, Freeman getting us the winner late on to break those obscure hearts and send tears of joy down all of us City folks' puffed up cheeks.

UTC. U riddddzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :)

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 10

I flipping (can I say that?) can't wait. First game in over 2 years for me. 

COYR

I have heard the word "flip" used as an insulting term referring to Filipinos; I suppose adding 'ing' would suggest you are insulting more than one filipino! So, as long as you don't come here, go on a cruise or go to an average UK hospital you can say it at will me babber.

• Like 1

I have heard the word "flip" used as an insulting term referring to Filipinos; I suppose adding 'ing' would suggest you are insulting more than one filipino! So, as long as you don't come here, go on a cruise or go to an average UK hospital you can say it at will me babber.

I best save it until I meet the Filipino Bristol Rovers fan club (why wouldn't there be one..?)then, just to be on the safe side.

Great write up. Orlando Sa is suspended for 3 matches so that is good news for us as he's been in fine form. As stated though, they have so many options and especially going forward that it'll be difficult no matter what. It's so hard to make predictions in this league but I think we will get it together today and they will miss Sa as we win 3-1.

• Like 1

COYR, let's get that turning point that we know is coming. Think Reading are a very hot and cold side, so if we can get on top then we could give them their own hammering!!!

side note - can attendees try and pick up pics of any stadium progress today? ta!

Will try and get some pictures. 

Will pop them in the stadium thread for you.

• Like 2

2-1 win to city.     COYR. 

5-3 reading.

Vydra x2, Tshibola, Robson-Kanu and Quinn for them.

Freeman, Moore and Robinson for us.

Kodjia sent off.

On that basis...

2-3 defeat.

City with 65% possession and we get done on the break with Ayling stranded up front as per usual.

It's so hard to make predictions in this league but I think we will get it together today and they will miss Sa as we win 3-1.

Well done Hav. Tide will turn today. 4-1 City.

Ahem...

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/172039-prediction-league-reading-h/

Top work as always, Havana. I did indeed stop off there to fill up the tank (well, not "fill" - not at those extortionate prices) just the other day.

Hope everyone (that gets in) enjoys the new Sports Bar. Don't break anything, now, or we'll all be banned for life.

• Like 2

Ahem...

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/172039-prediction-league-reading-h/

Top work as always, Havana. I did indeed stop off there to fill up the tank (well, not "fill" - not at those extortionate prices) just the other day.

Hope everyone (that gets in) enjoys the new Sports Bar. Don't break anything, now, or we'll all be banned for life.

Apparently we have the biggest telly in the country