IGNORED

Interesting take on Championship

DT The Optimist

Lucky me I went to Spain for 10 days and flew out the Tuesday we drew at PNE.  I went to Brum  the Saturday before  knowing I was going to miss a home game, and was disappoined at that Reading result.

Staying in the same complex as me was a season ticket holder at MK Dons and enjoyed I chatting to him re issues of getting into the Championship and making a real go of it.   I was of the view, and he shared the same view, that the difference between league One and the Championship is probably as great a  leap than getting from the championship to the 'promised land' of the Premier league.  They have lost 4 on the bounce, and he has no doubt they will  have a season of strife, and do well to keep heads above bottom 3 on first 8 games showing ( and they had a good 0 6 drubbing at home in the cup, while we were there to the saints).  He also told me they had signed two Real Madrid players who seem totally out of there depth in the championship. Both season long deals.   He was saying every time the opposition get a chance they seem to score !  Have we heard this somewhere before ? :facepalm:

Also looking at Preston they also seem to be heading for a season of strife !  So on the form of the 3 promoted clubs, as it stands, all 3 look like a season of struggle on current form.  I really fancied us to have a decent season, and we were certainly better than PNE and MK Dons last year, but both sit just above us at the moment. In a few matches time a quarter of the season will have passed us by and going into October a clear indication will be apparent to management at all levels  within our club of the battles that will lie ahead.   We desperatley need some points on the board as autumn approaches.

It is certainly the likes of MK Dons and Preston that we need to be above next May  

Dunno the money in the PL is just...but that gap is narrowing look at Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford so far. Championship is surely a lot different to when we last came up but then again we had a significantly older squad then, more battle hardened, arguably though it was terrific, less open style of play. I still think we should be fine, we are playing good football, chances, possession...quite naive though. Iron that kinda thing out and things could well turn.

I still think Championship to Premier League is a bigger step up but it is harder for a well run club to stay in the Championship coming up from L1.

Moving into the Prem, you get a massive immediate source of income which if spent wisely on a mix of experience and talent can go a long way to making your side at least on par with the likes of Sunderland, Aston Villa etc.

In the Championship, there is very little increase in income so you pretty much have to compete in a higher league with similar budgets - the main increase in income coming from a couple of additional televised games and some attendance boosts.

As I have noted on another thread all 3 teams are lacking influential players from last season, so arguably have worse squads than last year. At least we appear to have bought a quality striker in Kodjia but we desperately need to tighten up in midfield and at the back.

I started this thread before the weekend games.  I saw the MK Dons did not play the Spanish players from Real madrid 'B' team the chap alluded to.  Did not even make the bench.  He also thought Derby would beat them (he was right)

Preston had Garner sent off for a similar offence to Freeman's back against Brentford.  He has gone now for 3 games (but he also does not seem to have same effect in Championship).

The game Saturday already seems  to take on some significance.   And yes, all three promoted clubs in the bottom three.  Those facts speak for themselves, but I still feel we will have the clout to do something about it.  Not sure about Preston and MK Dons.  October will be a good month:fingerscrossed:

My humble opinion....

The perception of gulf between League 1 & Championship standing (ability) needs to be differentiated between squad, management and club (director) level. I believe & understand that our last 'successful' year was left to the control of a management team that were brought in to bring success. A small team, but an effective team (including Pelling, Cotterill & Burt). Whilst we can all look at the club in a 'Championship Manager' way, I would ask whether the current structure of the club is equipped to cope with Championship football again. Who is steering the ship? Are we in a changing environment where very 'quiet' directors from last year are looking to be much more involved in the Championship? Perhaps after our previous experience, they know best?

Archived