IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Drowned in a sea of salt, hit by a plague in 1665, bombarded by Zeppelins and attacked by Danish Marauders. Ipswich, lying on the Rivers Orwell and nearby Gippin and open to invaders has had its fair share of turmoil down the centuries. Gip's Wic became a port and trading settlement in the 7th century. It traded with the Germans long before it was attacked by them, trading millstones for wool. And they were potters and minted money. Maybe that is what attracted the Danes who occupied the settlement in the 9th and 10th centuries. 

The destructive forces of the North Sea have seen the East Coast battered for centuries inexorably losing land and settlements to the sea; Dunwich was a thriving 'city' completely lost to the crushing waves. But Ipswich grew slowly through all of this making boats, rope, machine parts and iron and exporting grain. And like all towns and cities in these isles it reacted to our manufacturing decline by entering the service industries in the latter part of the 20th century and its population all but stopped growing in recent times to around 133,000 before expanding rapidly over the past 15 years or so.

Ipswich will not enamour itself to anyone, especially not Big Tone, but I am reasonably reliably informed it is small enough to be able to get out of if one finds oneself in a bit of a sticky wicket. The surrounding countryside is littered with attractive and historical little villages where there for sure are super little pubs to try local ales. As for the accent?.. people take the proverbial out of the Bristolian but Ipswich may feel is easily less attractive. One local resident wrote this on a forum..

The accent is horrific though eek.gif

That is his emoticon. Says more than the words.

At least the locals can concentrate on one league club to take their minds off other matters and since 1878 too. They won the top flight in 1961 as well so have a reasonable history and who can forget the time when Sir Bobby Robson was in charge? Finishing as runners up twice under his reign. Ipswich were always the team breathing down the neck of Liverpool and all non-Liverpool fans had Ipswich as their 'second' team back in those days. What a team they had with the two Dutchmen, Muhren and Thjssen (apologies for the spelling). I am sure others will recall the other English names of the day.

Well, so here we are on Match Day 9 hoping to turn the tide of relative failure. Can we bury the nightmare of 2007? I was there that day so please lads and lasses roar City on to something to celebrate at 1745 today. And my admiration to all of you going; that is one hec of a journey. Fabulous support, as always.

1-1.. arrest the naysayers and set us up for a spanking of MK next week.

Flint with a bullet equaliser in the 2nd half.

U Riddddddddzzzzzzzz.

Watch that Ipswich accent my babbers.

.. p.s. excuse any spelling errors.. gotta run, no time to double check. :)

• Like 1

Yes, I'm the first to reply to a match day thread. Let's hope the boys are positive, what's the betting Skuse scores a scremer like he did against Leicester for us. I hope SC changes it with Agard for Wilbs, and Reid shows his class, I'm going for 3-1 city, Skuse, Reid, Freeman and Kodjia. Safe journey to those who are travelling to Ipswich COYR!!!

Drowned in a sea of salt, hit by a plague in 1665, bombarded by Zeppelins and attacked by Danish Marauders. Ipswich, lying on the Rivers Orwell and nearby Gippin and open to invaders has had its fair share of turmoil down the centuries. Gip's Wic became a port and trading settlement in the 7th century. It traded with the Germans long before it was attacked by them, trading millstones for wool. And they were potters and minted money. Maybe that is what attracted the Danes who occupied the settlement in the 9th and 10th centuries. 

The destructive forces of the North Sea have seen the East Coast battered for centuries inexorably losing land and settlements to the sea; Dunwich was a thriving 'city' completely lost to the crushing waves. But Ipswich grew slowly through all of this making boats, rope, machine parts and iron and exporting grain. And like all towns and cities in these isles it reacted to our manufacturing decline by entering the service industries in the latter part of the 20th century and its population all but stopped growing in recent times to around 133,000 before expanding rapidly over the past 15 years or so.

Ipswich will not enamour itself to anyone, especially not Big Tone, but I am reasonably reliably informed it is small enough to be able to get out of if one finds oneself in a bit of a sticky wicket. The surrounding countryside is littered with attractive and historical little villages where there for sure are super little pubs to try local ales. As for the accent?.. people take the proverbial out of the Bristolian but Ipswich may feel is easily less attractive. One local resident wrote this on a forum..

The accent is horrific though eek.gif

That is his emoticon. Says more than the words.

At least the locals can concentrate on one league club to take their minds off other matters and since 1878 too. They won the top flight in 1961 as well so have a reasonable history and who can forget the time when Sir Bobby Robson was in charge? Finishing as runners up twice under his reign. Ipswich were always the team breathing down the neck of Liverpool and all non-Liverpool fans had Ipswich as their 'second' team back in those days. What a team they had with the two Dutchmen, Muhren and Thjssen (apologies for the spelling). I am sure others will recall the other English names of the day.

Well, so here we are on Match Day 9 hoping to turn the tide of relative failure. Can we bury the nightmare of 2007? I was there that day so please lads and lasses roar City on to something to celebrate at 1745 today. And my admiration to all of you going; that is one hec of a journey. Fabulous support, as always.

1-1.. arrest the naysayers and set us up for a spanking of MK next week.

Flint with a bullet equaliser in the 2nd half.

U Riddddddddzzzzzzzz.

Watch that Ipswich accent my babbers.

.. p.s. excuse any spelling errors.. gotta run, no time to double check. :)

very thorough H

• Like 1

Well according to Freeman this week, the long trip to Ipswich will actually benefit us. Lets see whether SC comes out and says the lads were tired from the travelling this time...if we lose, i'm sure it will be a factor...if we win....then i'm sure it will be because we played on the counter attack and didn't have the pressure of the home crowd... :yes::whistle:

Apparently the lads are confident and have total belief in themselves at this level...not sure why SC has felt the need to keep telling us that lately.... unless it's being questioned :blink:

So after hearing all that from the camp...I'm going for a 3-1 win to Ipswich....although we will create chances,  have good possession and give a good account of ourselves.... but silly errors will allow Ipswich to score ;)

All said with tongue firmly in cheek :P

Much as I remain positive about our team ( really I do) - at the moment I struggle to see anything other than another effortless 3 points in the bag for Ipswich.

Just so long as we play with passion and heads don't drop like against Reading.

Football's a funny old game- a few months ago I expected to win every game and now I expect to lose.

Summer chickens roosting in Autumn home.

• Like 2

Much as I remain positive about our team ( really I do) - at the moment I struggle to see anything other than another effortless 3 points in the bag for Ipswich.

Just so long as we play with passion and heads don't drop like against Reading.

Football's a funny old game- a few months ago I expected to win every game and now I expect to lose.

Summer chickens roosting in Autumn home.

You've pretty much said what I wanted to there MRR.

• Like 1

Been reminiscing about the 98-99 season to cheer myself up.  On 19th September that season we lost 3-1 at Ipswich with, I believe, a central defensive pairing of Swenenber (spelt phanetically, the correct spelling had z's and silent h's etc) and Julian Watts.  Am predicting the same outcome today :(

Are you spelling phanetically, phonetically?

In order to cheer myself up, I just think of last season's swindle match. It puts a smile on my face every time. As does the resulting song.

Are you spelling phanetically, phonetically?

In order to cheer myself up, I just think of last season's swindle match. It puts a smile on my face every time. As does the resulting song.

No, 'phonetically' spelt phonetically would be 'fonetically'.  'Phanetically' - there is no excuse for but does explain why I didn't bother attempting Swenenberg correctly!

Anyway, back to the point:- COOOOOMMMMMEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOONNNNNNN YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU REEEEEEDDDSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!  

I vowed not to go to Ipswich  again after seeing a couple of trouncing.But a friend of a couple years insisted on treating me to the trip if City were promoted.So the fateful day has arrived and I will meet him and go to the game and sit in with the home fans.Can't see any up side to the day.At least as I live up this way I don't have that far to travel.