IGNORED

....and another manager gone...

BS4 on Tour...

Fleetwood sack Graham Alexander.

I know they've got a bit of money behind them but what do they realistically expect? They are so close geographically to Burnley and Blackburn that they are all always going to struggle to attract the support they need.

Great bunch of loyal fans though...

Yep, I've had a Weston Super (as Merse would say!), for some reason I got Fleetwood mixed up with the mighty Accrington Stanley in terms of their geographical proximity to Burnley and Blackburn!

So I really meant they are so close to Preston and Blackpool in terms of competing for support...thanks to Chappers for putting me right

a few on here wouldn't mind adding SC to that list as well!!! Sad state of football I suppose. Bloody good weekend in Fleetwood / Blackpool last year!

Not for Bruns or Si. Got fed up browsing I'm in!

Good day to you all, new poster and happy to be involved after a long time browsing.

I'm only here because of Mad Cyril he makes me chuckle.

Fleetwood sack Graham Alexander.

I know they've got a bit of money behind them but what do they realistically expect? They are so close geographically to Burnley and Blackburn that they are all always going to struggle to attract the support they need.

Great bunch of loyal fans though...

..just a thought, I can't help wondering if he was sacked face to face or if they ironically and annoyingly just gave him a Bell and reversed the charges. 

I think we trained a couple of times at Fleedwood's facilities when we've been up North recently, Cotterill said they were excellent. I'm not sure if that was because he was friendly with the now ex manager, but we might have lost use of them now too.

Bizarre after the great season they had last season.  Clubs often struggle the second season after promotion, so what do they expect? Does a club like Fleetwood expect to be in the Championship?  Really??

Why not...who would have thought Bournemouth would ever play in the Prem?

In the past Wimbledon....and you still have little old Chievo Verona in Italy...like Mangotsfield being in the Prem.

Why not...who would have thought Bournemouth would ever play in the Prem?

In the past Wimbledon....and you still have little old Chievo Verona in Italy...like Mangotsfield being in the Prem.

Agree, all "smaller" clubs who have established themselves in/reached the prem recently have shown it can happen if you get some aspects right.

Bournemouth, Swansea, Southampton (only as they came from l1, big club really).

All of them have continuity, identity and seem to have it right off the pitch. They've all spent money too when appropriate. Bournemouth is an interesting one, I think they'll stay up even with Wilson injured.

There does seem to be a ceiling at League One level for former non-league clubs, no matter what their backing.

Small but established league clubs such as Blackpool and Bournemouth can reach the higher levels but in recent years there have been a number of clubs that have come flying out of non-league, often with a bit of backing, but they've generally reached their limit at League One and then fallen back down with varying degrees of grace:

Wycombe

Rushden & Diamonds

Boston Utd

Crawley Town

Fleetwood

Aldershot

Dagenham

Stevenage

Right now, Burton are on course to buck the trend but it's pretty early days and it'll be some achievement if they finish the season where they are.

The only recent exception I can think of is Yeovil, who did manage a season in the Championship but they couldn't sustain it and fell back down again.

One to watch could well be Forest Green Rovers, who have ambition and good marketing but will probably still find themselves in the same situation. Their proposed new stadium is still only at most a 10,000 seater and that simply won't sustain Championship football (as we well know).

I suppose Wigan are the best example of a club that over stretched and exceeded that Dan. Bought their way to the prem, couldn`t sustain it on crap crowds etc. and now back at their natural level albeit with a nice new ground (Springfield Park - dear God what a tip that was.) You could argue that Blackburn and Bolton are headed the same way too.

I suppose Wigan are the best example of a club that over stretched and exceeded that Dan. Bought their way to the prem, couldn`t sustain it on crap crowds etc. and now back at their natural level albeit with a nice new ground (Springfield Park - dear God what a tip that was.) You could argue that Blackburn and Bolton are headed the same way too.

Always been a bit of a myth that Wigan had 'crap crowds' in the prem - they averaged 19,000 at home games over those eight seasons up there - that's 6% of their population. Pretty good in my opinion.

That's the equivalent of us averaging around 27,000 at home games based on our City Council website saying we've got a population of 443,000.

So, I've never bought into the Wigan 'crap crowds' belief - they've punched above their weight.

Didn`t realise they were that high to be honest. Suppose it was a combination of prem wages, competition from nearby teams and rugby league and not being a particularly attractive proposition for sponsors etc. Perhaps that would be a more realistic assessment

Yep you're right, being a relatively young club it must have been very difficult to compete with the Wigan rugby league team who were/are very successful and have all the sporting history in Wigan.

Still, Wigan Athletic FC have a loyal and very lively bunch of fans. As good as any I've come across...

Archived