IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Milton Keynes Matchday Thread

Good morning guys and gals. Is this the one, is this the match, is this the performance that elevates us out of the bottom and kick starts our season? 

Little needs to be said about the polarised views of the team that visits us today.. will leave that for others.

There are three new towns, that i can think of, designated as such in the 1960's as required developments from the overspill of London and are now league teams; MK, Crawley and Stevenage. That said the area was inhabited as far back as the 2nd century BC and holds the largest hoard of bronze age gold ever found in the UK. Wolverton, New Bradwell and other villages formed what is todays Milton Keynes including the later settlements of Bletchley, Stoney Stratford, Willen and Walton. With a population within the unitary authority of nearly a quarter of a million it certainly has the sustainability of a football team. There was never much of football history however hence perhaps why it was chosen as the first, effective, franchise club in the country. The population is nevertheless destined to surge to nearly 500,000 by 2026. 

Football in Milton Keynes, of course, predates the current league club; there were two 'non-league' clubs in the city, Milton Keynes City which changed its names from Bletchley Town in 1974 and was dissolved in 1985. A team called Mercedes Benz became MK City and that team was dissolved in 2003 at the same time the current league club arrived. They played at the National Hockey Stadium for the first 4 years and then moved to Stadium MK in 2007.

Not a great deal more to say about this club, in all Carey fairness.. this is their first season in the 2nd tier. Not a lot more to say about the city of MK either except that it has some interesting pieces of architecture in the modern style and is rather famous for its plethora of roundabouts.. don't get lost lads and lasses.. set your sat navs if you are driving.

So what of today then? I watched highlights of their match at home to Leeds and while they lost 1-2 I was quite impressed with their smart passing game, dominating for long periods. As Steve Cotts has said; the two teams at AG today like to play proper passing football.. it should be an entertaining game for the purists and easy on the eye.. lets hope so.

I can only be the perennial optimist and predict a win. And we surely have to win these types of games if we are to have any chance of building a successful season. I will therefore suggest a 3-1 victory with Kodjia bagging a brace and Wilbs knicking a late third to seal the victory. Oh how we need it so badly.

UTC. :)

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 5

Ah ha, notice we're no longer "Champions" in the title.. (this may have changed before, thinking about it..how long did you give it?)

A suitably concise but informative preamble for a young team, cheers @havanatopia. Will be there today (first match since the new stand's been finished for me) so certainly hoping your prediction is prophetic.. Shall I add those scorers to your #GOTIB15to16CPL entry?

Edited by RedYoshi

Will get this on local radio for a change. MK very much a rugby town at the moment, big tents and all.

Agree they like us have been playing better then their results in many ways, dominating games, not finishing, and then getting unpicked by a bit of quality. Hopefully first home win today.

Edited by cityexile

Yes please Yoshi.. you are very kind.

Ref 'Champions'; I dropped it in the match before this one. I reserve the right to add it back at a later date though ;)

I dropped the word Dons from Milton Keynes though.. the fact the club have handed back the Wimbledon era trophies means that to hold on to that name is a contradiction in terms, in my humble opinion. 

Enjoy the game.  

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

Good morning guys and gals. Is this the one, is this the match, is this the performance that elevates us out of the bottom and kick starts our season? 

Little needs to be said about the polarised views of the team that visits us today.. will leave that for others.

There are three new towns, that i can think of, designated as such in the 1960's as required developments from the overspill of London and are now league teams; MK, Crawley and Stevenage. That said the area was inhabited as far back as the 2nd century BC and holds the largest hoard of bronze age gold ever found in the UK. Wolverton, New Bradwell and other villages formed what is todays Milton Keynes including the later settlements of Bletchley, Stoney Stratford, Willen and Walton. With a population within the unitary authority of nearly a quarter of a million it certainly has the sustainability of a football team. There was never much of football history however hence perhaps why it was chosen as the first, effective, franchise club in the country. The population is nevertheless destined to surge to nearly 500,000 by 2026. 

Football in Milton Keynes, of course, predates the current league club; there were two 'non-league' clubs in the city, Milton Keynes City which changed its names from Bletchley Town in 1974 and was dissolved in 1985. A team called Mercedes Benz became MK City and that team was dissolved in 2003 at the same time the current league club arrived. They played at the National Hockey Stadium for the first 4 years and then moved to Stadium MK in 2007.

Not a great deal more to say about this club, in all Carey fairness.. this is their first season in the 2nd tier. Not a lot more to say about the city of MK either except that it has some interesting pieces of architecture in the modern style and is rather famous for its plethora of roundabouts.. don't get lost lads and lasses.. set your sat navs if you are driving.

So what of today then? I watched highlights of their match at home to Leeds and while they lost 1-2 I was quite impressed with their smart passing game, dominating for long periods. As Steve Cotts has said; the two teams at AG today like to play proper passing football.. it should be an entertaining game for the purists and easy on the eye.. lets hope so.

I can only be the perennial optimist and predict a win. And we surely have to win these types of games if we are to have any chance of building a successful season. I will therefore suggest a 3-1 victory with Kodjia bagging a brace and Wilbs knicking a late third to seal the victory. Oh how we need it so badly.

UTC. :)

Condensed Version

Milton Keynes

A large roundabout in Buckinghamshire

• Like 3