IGNORED

Our average league position??

Looking forward to 3 pts and looking down at a few teams by 10 o'clock tonight (hint).

Anyone care to guess what our average league position has been over the last 103 seasons?

I always thought it was 'about 1/2 way up level 2' (i.e. mid-table Championship in todays money). E.g. 1/2 way up Championship would be position 32.

Unless some inky swat guesses right, I'll announce the result at half time.

In the mean time, here are some amazingly interesting stats:-

Years at level 1: 9

Years at level 2: 47

Years at level 3: 45

Years in Rovers level: 2

Highest average attendance: 26,575 in 1956

Highest modern era av. attendance: 23,357 in 1978

Highest recent average: 16,816 in 2009

Uncle TFR

Just a wild guess, but what about 10.8 ?

Perhaps I did not explain?

10th would be an average finish of 10th in level 1 (Premiership). Not sure we have averaged 10th??

E.g. we are currently 44th in the ENTIRE league.

I'll take FForbes guess as 10.8 in level 2 i.e. 31st in whole league.

Uncle TFR

If we're honest, we've never been very good, so I'd say near the top in level 3. Difficult to put a number on this as the size of level 1 (now Premiership) has varied over the years, but 51st sounds good. 

Will guess 36th.

56 seasons in the top 2 divisions versus 47 in the bottom 2 (with only 2 in the 4th tier), so our weighted average would probably be in the high 30s or low 40s. The 9 top flight seasons would drag our average up by more than the 2 seasons in the 4th tier would drag it down - plus I would wager that more than half of those 45 seasons in the third tier were in the top half of the division (could be wrong of course!).

Will guess 36th.

56 seasons in the top 2 divisions versus 47 in the bottom 2 (with only 2 in the 4th tier), so our weighted average would probably be in the high 30s or low 40s. The 9 top flight seasons would drag our average up by more than the 2 seasons in the 4th tier would drag it down - plus I would wager that more than half of those 45 seasons in the third tier were in the top half of the division (could be wrong of course!).

This sounds like a logical well thought out answer. No place for this sort of thing on the forum. 

Perhaps I did not explain?

10th would be an average finish of 10th in level 1 (Premiership). Not sure we have averaged 10th??

E.g. we are currently 44th in the ENTIRE league.

I'll take FForbes guess as 10.8 in level 2 i.e. 31st in whole league.

Uncle TFR

oh right, 8th?

Well it depends how they calculate it. Is it based on all points won, regardless for how long a club has been in the league, or is it an average points haul? Assuming the first I'm going for 22nd - there were quite a few years early on when we were one of only two clubs south of Birmingham.

Well it depends how they calculate it. Is it based on all points won, regardless for how long a club has been in the league, or is it an average points haul? Assuming the first I'm going for 22nd - there were quite a few years early on when we were one of only two clubs south of Birmingham.

Average statistical league finish out of all league teams.

Each season finishing position, as a total league, summed, and divided by 103.

If you are as bored as I obviously am today, you can work it out, and get a share of the prize.

Uncle TFR

Average statistical league finish out of all league teams.

Each season finishing position, as a total league, summed, and divided by 103.

If you are as bored as I obviously am today, you can work it out, and get a share of the prize.

Uncle TFR

Thanks for that. 38th then. 

Tonights lucky winners are:-

LondonBristolian and southbristol

Both of these ladies correctly guessed position 42.

In todays money, that is 22nd place in the Championship.

As of 1/2 time tonight, we are doing better than this. 

There are a choice of prizes to choose from - first come first served:-

1) OTIB agrees not to take the p*** out of Aizoon for the rest of the year

2) TFR agrees not to make a pass at Dolls for 6 months

3) Chance to start Official Match Day Thread in the event of Hava not being available.

Final score tonight 3-1.

COYR.

Uncle TFR

Archived