IGNORED

The Official Brighton & Hove Albion v Champions Match Day Thread

Good morning once again from sunny Manila for another exciting match day. You know I often hear forum fans posting a question about where to eat or drink in the near vicinity of an away day fixture. While I cannot profess to know Brighton that well I'd like to share some streets that are to be avoided or visited depending on your predilection circa 1839 which may or may not ring true today..

Coincidentally, 'Nottingham' Street, a well known haunt of tramps and beggars and Egremont Street, of the lowest prostitutes and thieves, are or were colourful mainstays where, amongst most of the rest of the town and owing to imperfect and insufficient drainage, the inhabitants were compelled to have recourse to numerous cess pools as receptacles for water and refuse of all kinds. Tone should have a field day with this introduction. 

These were the rather negative aspects of Brighton, or Brighthelmston* as was once known, as it became the first seaside and dormitory town of London bringing not just wealth but also the poor. The wealthy came for the 'healing' waters and George III loved it so much that he of course commissioned the Royal Pavillion; without doubt the most celebrated piece of architecture in the town and after the railway opened in 1841 it became the fastest growing settlement in the country.

*Another coincidence to us, of Brighton, is an earlier name, recorded in the Domesday Book, that sounds rather like an extension of Bristol; Bristelmestune was, amongst others, a number of names bestowed on the town.

Brighton had a professional football club in 1897 with the formation of Brighton United even though it only competed in the Southern League so that word professional may be incorrect, I would venture. The club folded in 1900 and a new club started the same year called Brighton & Hove Rangers, an amateur club that, interestingly, played in Withdean where, about a century later, the modern club would temporarily play after selling the Goldstone Ground to retail development. This team also folded having lasted, again, a meagre 2 years. In 1901 Brighton & Hove United came along, however, local rivals Hove FC complained and the team changed its name to Brighton & Hove Albion; I cannot for the life of me see how that made any difference but those are, apparently, the facts. There is no notation as to whether the two clubs amalgamated or when Hove folded.

The two teams did share Hove F.C's Goldstone Ground, however, which is what Brighton did again in 1997 when they moved to Gillingham, back to Withdean and then finally to Falmer. Gas fans will wish to remind us that in 1973 they thrashed Brighton 8-2 when a certain Brian Clough was in charge at the Goldstone. Warboys and Banister probably?

Brighton have a few near misses and a few trophys worth an honorary mention; they were twice runners up in the FA Cup and twice winners of the Charity Shield; not sure how either came about without winning a top division title or an FA Cup. Not bad though considering they have spent 5 fewer seasons that City in the top flight, only 4, 22 in the second tier, 55 in the third and 7 in the old 4th division. So while our average historical league position spoken about last week is about bottom of the Championship that of Brighton will be about upper third of the old Division 3.

Their trajectory is definitely and, they would say, finally upwardly mobile; they have very respectable average attendances of around 27,000 and will be hoping they remain the only Football League to remain undefeated so far this season after tonights encounter. Someone, sometime, has to end their run and I fully expect City, as always, will give a very good account of themselves. Whether we get the rub of the green on the night and can stop those few defensive mistakes remains the question. If the back line play like they did against Forest we will have a chance at pulling off a decent win. I would be happy with a 2-2 draw to keep our own upturn going. No reason to be anything but optimistic.

An enormous thank you from all of us to all of you guys going to the match tonight.. absolutely fabulous effort as always... sing your hearts out and help the City get a win.

Kodjia and Cox to score tonight. 25 and 78th minutes.

UTC

Oh and enjoy 'the Queen of Watering Places' .

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 15

Good morning once again from sunny Manila for another exciting match day. You know I often hear forum fans posting a question about where to eat or drink in the near vicinity of an away day fixture. While I cannot profess to know Brighton that well I'd like to share some streets that are to be avoided or visited depending on your predilection circa 1839 which may or may not ring true today..

Coincidentally, 'Nottingham' Street, a well known haunt of tramps and beggars and Egremont Street, of the lowest prostitutes and thieves, are or were colourful mainstays where, amongst most of the rest of the town and owing to imperfect and insufficient drainage, the inhabitants were compelled to have recourse to numerous cess pools as receptacles for water and refuse of all kinds. Tone should have a field day with this introduction. 

These were the rather negative aspects of Brighton, or Brighthelmston* as was once known, as it became the first seaside and dormitory town of London bringing not just wealth but also the poor. The wealthy came for the 'healing' waters and George III loved it so much that he of course commissioned the Royal Pavillion; without doubt the most celebrated piece of architecture in the town and after the railway opened in 1841 it became the fastest growing settlement in the country.

*Another coincidence to us, of Brighton, is an earlier name, recorded in the Domesday Book, that sounds rather like an extension of Bristol; Bristelmestune was, amongst others, a number of names bestowed on the town.

Brighton had a professional football club in 1897 with the formation of Brighton United even though it only competed in the Southern League so that word professional may be incorrect, I would venture. The club folded in 1900 and a new club started the same year called Brighton & Hove Rangers, an amateur club that, interestingly, played in Withdean where, about a century later, the modern club would temporarily play after selling the Goldstone Ground to retail development. This team also folded having lasted, again, a meagre 2 years. In 1901 Brighton & Hove United came along, however, local rivals Hove FC complained and the team changed its name to Brighton & Hove Albion; I cannot for the life of me see how that made any difference but those are, apparently, the facts. There is no notation as to whether the two clubs amalgamated or when Hove folded.

The two teams did share Hove F.C's Goldstone Ground, however, which is what Brighton did again in 1997 when they moved to Gillingham, back to Withdean and then finally to Falmer. Gas fans will wish to remind us that in 1973 they thrashed Brighton 8-2 when a certain Brian Clough was in charge at the Goldstone. Warboys and Banister probably?

Brighton have a few near misses and a few trophys worth an honorary mention; they were twice runners up in the FA Cup and twice winners of the Charity Shield; not sure how either came about without winning a top division title or an FA Cup. Not bad though considering they have spent 5 fewer seasons that City in the top flight, only 4, 22 in the second tier, 55 in the third and 7 in the old 4th division. So while our average historical league position spoken about last week is about bottom of the Championship that of Brighton will be about upper third of the old Division 3.

Their trajectory is definitely and, they would say, finally upwardly mobile; they have very respectable average attendances of around 27,000 and will be hoping they remain the only Football League to remain undefeated so far this season after tonights encounter. Someone, sometime, has to end their run and I fully expect City, as always, will give a very good account of themselves. Whether we get the rub of the green on the night and can stop those few defensive mistakes remains the question. If the back line play like they did against Forest we will have a chance at pulling off a decent win. I would be happy with a 2-2 draw to keep our own upturn going. No reason to be anything but optimistic.

An enormous thank you from all of us to all of you guys going to the match tonight.. absolutely fabulous effort as always... sing your hearts out and help the City get a win.

Kodjia and Cox to score tonight. 25 and 78th minutes.

UTC

Oh and enjoy 'the Queen of Watering Places' .

'Oh and enjoy 'the Queen of Watering Places' , that really is no way to talk about a stalwart of OTIB , i think you owe Big Tone an apology.

Top matchday introduction again H , for those who say OTIB is not what it used to be , i give you exhibits Havanatopia and Red Yoshi , these guys are taking a lot of their time to add something to the forum . Well done and thank you to you both .

The mods have had their thread of glory where they were , quite rightly , praised so i won't go there .

• Like 2

Condensed Version

Brighton:

Pleasant shit hole on south coast where most of its inhabitants support the other side.

Are you suggesting that the inhabitants referred to in the second part of the sentence prefer that to which you refer to at the start of the sentence :shocking:

Feel confident for a win as I did about the Forest game. Brighton are not a good team, but a team on form. Four Four Two had them as relegation favorites along with MK Dons and Preston, so they are due a loss. Concerned about their wing play though, with correct exploitation like B-Ham did to us we will be in danger. Need to learn from mistakes. 

Brighton 1 - 2 Bristol City 

Zamora for Brighton and Kodjia and Wilbraham for us.

Lovely sunny day here in Brighton for all those that are on their way.  Hoping for one of those usual weird City results that goes against what's expected (Colchester away last season, yep I'm looking at you)

obviously the the other way round this time!

Edited by RumRed

Condensed Version

Brighton:

Pleasant shit hole on south coast where most of its inhabitants support the other side.

2 piers.......1 laden with amusement machines and 1 laden with bird shit

They either take their delivery's by the back door or like to munch on their rugs

Tone, you are an absolute legend. I :rofl2br: at the 2nd one! :thumbsup:

Edited by ciderup

We win a game, and we seem almost absurdly over confident about a result here. They are top by four points, unbeaten all season. They must have something about them. 

A draw would be a fantastic result. Hopefully the players lose their nerves and share our confidence today!

Think the Forest game showed that there has been no loss confidence, despite results.

You are right in that Brighton will be a tough nut to crack and any sort of result will be a plus. My main hope s that we carry on from Friday's first half, because if we do then we will be in with a chance but think a lot will depend on how well we defend tonight. Thinking a narrow defeat is the most likely outcome.