IGNORED

The u21s

TammyAB

I'm not happy when  a bunch of 21 year old men are given the impression they have a future within football when they really should concentrate on getting a job.  

They may ALL have a future within football....at what level we don't know and nor do they.  

Do you think a youngster who goes to AFC Wimbledon is under the impression that the only career in football is at the level he enters. No.

Similarly the same applies at Manchester United.

The youngsters are there to develop their skills in the game with a hope of it becoming their career at whatever level they are deemed to be good enough for.  What a great opportunity for them, and whilst I suspect some may be a bit deluded, I suspect most realise that only a few make it.

of course it's a numbers game....and what is the harm of one of current crop improving his skills but not being good enough for pro level, but having a reasonable semi pro career backed up by sone education that he may've blown by not having the chance with City.  Academies are set up to try to get as many Joe Bryan's as they can, but also to give those who don't quite make the best chance outside the world of football....or at a different level.

What a fantastic opportunity for any one who gets the chance. And what if they're a late developer. Steven Gerrard was held back by LFC, because he had growing pains.  What do you do, just jettison him because he not reached a benchmark at a certain point. Yes, sometimes, but not all the time.

You would've got rid of Burns and Reid last season, if not before.....and for £0 or Krone (certainly in the case of Reid....maybe a few quid through u24 tribunal)

Yet City allowed them to go out on loan, and Reid has certainly benefitted.

I'd love to live in this black and white world!

I'm not happy when  a bunch of 21 year old men are given the impression they have a future within football when they really should concentrate on getting a job.  

Maybe the U21:s is part of the Community Trust? If you are 21 and not good enough for the first team you should not be at Bristol City FC.   

Sorry to ruin your rant but the majority (perhaps even all?) of our U21 side aren't 21. Not sure how you're in position to judge their future career when you don't seem to even know who they are.

Reports suggest they've been playing well and they've had some good results so far. I agree that the revolving door of our academy is embarrassing and indicates it's a bit of a mess, but the U21's seem to be in a good place with Wade now in charge. They lost this game from two long-range goals - one from a 32 year old, experienced player, and the other from the very talented Lewis MacLeod, who Brentford paid a six-figure fee for.

I only watched a bit of it, the McCoulskey lad looked decent.

This years crop is worse than last years and they were "only 18" as well

You are just trolling right?

Your comments about our actual squad normally a big of enough of an indication that you don't see us enough to have reasonable views, but you've topped yourself with this one.

How many games did you see of our under 21's last season? I am going to guess 0.

You've watched 1 half on YouTube this year and think you're an expect. 

the amount of shit you spout is unbeliaviable. How are you able to judge, seems like you've never even seen a first team game, let alone u 21's.

This years squad is stronger and more experienced than last years, seeing as we kept on the better players from last year, and spent money to bring some bright younger players. 

Why bother posting on here when you know absolutely nothing about this club.

Do you understand the concept of the U21? It's to bridge the gap between u18 and the first team and for players not getting a game or coming back from injury, hence why Brentford had Sam Saunders playing and we have had Agard ect playing.

The current U21 squad consists of a good mixture of players who in a year or two will be good enough for the first team or a first team at another club. Many of our 21s are 17,18,19. What you don't understand clearly is that these players will develop over the next two years and we have a fantastic youth academy set up. 

I watch all u21 home games and I have been impressed by some of the players this year "Lloyd Kelly, Jack Batten, George Dowling and Joe Morrell" all players who with time will be very good for this club. 

The amount of disrespect you have aimed at the football club you "support" is appalling. We have a great academy and you just have to look at our current 1st XI squad to see we have Bobby, Joe and Wes currently in it. I doubt many other academies have that.

Do you understand the concept of the U21? It's to bridge the gap between u18 and the first team and for players not getting a game or coming back from injury, hence why Brentford had Sam Saunders playing and we have had Agard ect playing.

The current U21 squad consists of a good mixture of players who in a year or two will be good enough for the first team or a first team at another club. Many of our 21s are 17,18,19. What you don't understand clearly is that these players will develop over the next two years and we have a fantastic youth academy set up. 

I watch all u21 home games and I have been impressed by some of the players this year "Lloyd Kelly, Jack Batten, George Dowling and Joe Morrell" all players who with time will be very good for this club. 

The amount of disrespect you have aimed at the football club you "support" is appalling. We have a great academy and you just have to look at our current 1st XI squad to see we have Bobby, Joe and Wes currently in it. I doubt many other academies have that.

perfectly put......nice one :clapping:

stop being so stupid and narrow minded. Every club that has an ounce of ambition has an academy, they are almost a requirement. This under 21 group at the moment are one of the most talented group we've had at the academy, with most being around 17 - 19 years of age. Think about it, one of our most valuable assets as a club came through our very own academy. What I saw yesterday night was a clearly talented group playing out of their skin, maybe too hard, as shown in the last 29 minutes. The under 21's are not part of then community trust, but they do get help, both in footballing terms and academically, which will help if they do get released. However, if this group there is around 7 players who I think will play in the first team one day. 

I think you hit the nail on the head there. ONE of our most valuable assets came through the academy. It's not enough

very rarely dos that happen at championship level. 

Absolutely. 

Not many clubs spring to mind who bring youth players through.

Southampton (who have a fantastic set up), West Ham (who have a great history) and in recent years Crewe (but then sell so don't move forward).

We are a joke as a club and everyone is happy with it. Everything is just great.

I have only seen the Under 21 side once this season but was impressed with several for differing reasons.

The captain  I saw is Murphy who had a sound game and always appeared to have plenty of time to do things. Centre backs Vyner and Batten have good ball skills in addition to being quite strong for their age.

Several others like Andrews, Morrell and Bishop impressed me. Whether any make the grade as league professionals is for tthem to determine. Many talented ones fall by the wayside because the one attribute needed all others, is the mental toughness to succeed.

But accusing them and our club of being a joke is grossly unfair. If our club is that bad, go somewhere else for your football.

Archived