IGNORED

The Official Cardiff City v Champions Match Day Thread

Wales is Britain's oldest colony. It is the land that has upheld the traditions of the Celts more than any other yet is more homogenous with England than all the rest. Until the late 19th century Welsh was still the native tongue of some 60% of the population compared to 15% of the Scots speaking Gaelic. Even in coastal areas around Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, that had almost daily contact with Bristol as a major trading partner, there was a language or communication issue. Wales remained remarkably intact as a land not least in population which barely changed for 400 years until the early 1800's when there appeared to be a population explosion as the Industrial Revolution took hold. Cardiff, only becoming the capital of Wales in 1955, before which there was no official designation, rose from barely 2000 inhabitants in 1800 to 170,000 by the turn of the 19th century. A remarkable transformation by any standard. 

Cardiff was a Roman Fort and later conquered by William the Conqueror (William I) Normandy who first established Cardiff as a settlement for the masses in the 12th century. Then came Owen Glendower who, fed up with fighting for the English against the Scots decided to rebel and started burning all the 'English' owned castles around Wales including the sacking of Cardiff; Cardiff, the now capital of Wales was destroyed by a Welshman. By 1404 his rebellion was defeated by Henry IV at Harlech Castle but he was never caught and his body never found; so goes the myth that the occasional burning of English owned properties in Wales was carried out by the ghost of Glendower. He was the last and only, self proclaimed, Welsh Prince of Wales.

Wales, a bit of an oddball land of myth, legend, poetry, choirs and, until the mid 1800's, extreme poverty and it would have remained so had it not followed the industrialisation brought largely by England. 

So why did 4 Welsh football clubs end up playing in the English league system? Well, apart from Wrexham, that is where they began life; in the English Southern League. Wrexham are the 3rd oldest professional football club in Britain and were members of the Birmingham & District League before joining the Football League. Another reason of course is because the Football League started before the Welsh League which, when it did, was amateur so it was a logical choice, for them, to remain playing better opposition. Less well known is the fact that a number of English clubs, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, amongst others, have participated in the Welsh Cup. These three have all won it, Shrewsbury 6 times in fact, as have our very own City, once, in 1934. English clubs were barred from participating, however, in 1995.

In summary, the Welsh clubs had no choice but to participate in the English league system, have prospered enormously because of it and, until 1995, allowed our clubs to take part in a rather low grade Welsh Cup which we were then subsequently barred from. A sense of double standard there? Do the Football League hold the power to bar the Welsh clubs from the English system and would we wish them to do so? It is a hot debate and one many here will have strong views about.

One of the major beneficiaries of playing in England of course is Cardiff City the owner of which saw the appeal of such a competition and whom not only benefits from being in the English system but does so exponentially by 'franchising' the club to Malaysia and beyond. Like many things in the history of England we have been the inventor, the developer and, most importantly, the facilitator and guarantor of great opportunities of wealth accumulation for peoples well beyond these lands. As deferential a race, mixed up by viking, anglo saxon heathens, welsh rarebits and gaelic war lords as ever one might imagine. So let us give the foreign owner, particularly, of this non-English club a damn good hiding tonight please and in front of the world cameras no less. It is what the majority of viewers will want and expect and not just in England.

All of that said, one cannot feel antipathy toward the Cardiff fan; they are only supporting their team. In the spirit of an old fashioned Severnside derby, however, lets just give them a right good hiding. I needed to say that for a second time, sorry. :)

Cardiff 0 Bristol City 1 is not quite the hiding I want but in all other aspects of fair play, entertainment value and possession we have it in our locker to turn these ball bearing celts over.

Kodjia on around 60 minutes.

UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 11

Finally, match day has arrived, the weekend has gone and Hava is back with an epic kick off to the match day thread.

Top work to that man again.

City to draw 1 - 1, which will be a good result, providing we look ahead to Fulham and beat them on Saturday.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Even though I tip a draw, please give Cardiff a bloody good thumping and prove me wrong!

• Like 2

For those interested, Tesco sell £3 promotional double-packs of pringles to get a free 1-day NowTV Sky sports pass.  Even if you just throw the pringles in the bin its still decent value.  I'm Chromecasting it tonight to my TV and the picture is usually very, very good.

If you've not used NowTV online before you can watch via tablet/phone or laptop.

• Like 2

600 max tonight, I rang to see what time open etc and he said 4pm doors open first come first first serve. Capacity is 600 and 250 already booked in. booked table as 10 of us coming from Nailsea so want to be guaranteed to get in. Booked table friday and he said only 10 tables left. Should be good long as beer flowing and city playing well. We always do well on sky under SC

• Like 1

For those interested, Tesco sell £3 promotional double-packs of pringles to get a free 1-day NowTV Sky sports pass.  Even if you just throw the pringles in the bin its still decent value.  I'm Chromecasting it tonight to my TV and the picture is usually very, very good.

If you've not used NowTV online before you can watch via tablet/phone or laptop.

Thanks for the tip. I won't need it tonight but I might in the future. Is it instantaneous? (i.e. can you access it straightaway, or do you have to wait 24 hours or something?)

The were, until 1974, three Welsh clubs. Monmouthshire, until then, was part of England. Hence, the valiant Newport County, destroyers of the Gas, were an English club. They were, in fact, members of the English and Welsh FA's.

I was a student at the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire (now Cardiff University) and it was a cause of some amusement that our playing fields were in England, just across the Afon Rymni.

Nah, I hate Pringles

The were, until 1974, three Welsh clubs. Monmouthshire, until then, was part of England. Hence, the valiant Newport County, destroyers of the Gas, were an English club. They were, in fact, members of the English and Welsh FA's.

I was a student at the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire (now Cardiff University) and it was a cause of some amusement that our playing fields were in England, just across the Afon Rymni.

Sorry to burst this particular myth, Aizoon, but Monmouthshire has never ever been part of England nor has it ever been a "coastal area" ( Havanatopia). As far as football is concerned- Havanatopia makes reference to the fact that this where the edges are blurred due to some clubs being in the English League but most in the Welsh League.

Monmouthshire was created as a county in Wales by Henry VIII as part of the Union Act in 1542. For some reason the administrative centre was Westminster whilst the other newly created counties in Wales were administered by The King's Great Session in Wales. This has led to a centuries old misconception that Monmouthshire was indeed part of England.

So next time you're having a big night out in Abergavenny with Horace- best not sing " you're English and you know you are" etc.

P.s How do Monmothians find their sheep in the long grass?

Wales is Britain's oldest colony. It is the land that has upheld the traditions of the Celts more than any other yet is more homogenous with England than all the rest. Until the late 19th century Welsh was still the native tongue of some 60% of the population compared to 15% of the Scots speaking Gaelic. Even in coastal areas around Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, that had almost daily contact with Bristol as a major trading partner, there was a language or communication issue. Wales remained remarkably intact as a land not least in population which barely changed for 400 years until the early 1800's when there appeared to be a population explosion as the Industrial Revolution took hold. Cardiff, only becoming the capital of Wales in 1955, before which there was no official designation, rose from barely 2000 inhabitants in 1800 to 170,000 by the turn of the 19th century. A remarkable transformation by any standard. 

Cardiff was a Roman Fort and later conquered by William the Conqueror (William I) Normandy who first established Cardiff as a settlement for the masses in the 12th century. Then came Owen Glendower who, fed up with fighting for the English against the Scots decided to rebel and started burning all the 'English' owned castles around Wales including the sacking of Cardiff; Cardiff, the now capital of Wales was destroyed by a Welshman. By 1404 his rebellion was defeated by Henry IV at Harlech Castle but he was never caught and his body never found; so goes the myth that the occasional burning of English owned properties in Wales was carried out by the ghost of Glendower. He was the last and only, self proclaimed, Welsh Prince of Wales.

Wales, a bit of an oddball land of myth, legend, poetry, choirs and, until the mid 1800's, extreme poverty and it would have remained so had it not followed the industrialisation brought largely by England. 

So why did 4 Welsh football clubs end up playing in the English league system? Well, apart from Wrexham, that is where they began life; in the English Southern League. Wrexham are the 3rd oldest professional football club in Britain and were members of the Birmingham & District League before joining the Football League. Another reason of course is because the Football League started before the Welsh League which, when it did, was amateur so it was a logical choice, for them, to remain playing better opposition. Less well known is the fact that a number of English clubs, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, amongst others, have participated in the Welsh Cup. These three have all won it, Shrewsbury 6 times in fact, as have our very own City, once, in 1934. English clubs were barred from participating, however, in 1995.

In summary, the Welsh clubs had no choice but to participate in the English league system, have prospered enormously because of it and, until 1995, allowed our clubs to take part in a rather low grade Welsh Cup which we were then subsequently barred from. A sense of double standard there? Do the Football League hold the power to bar the Welsh clubs from the English system and would we wish them to do so? It is a hot debate and one many here will have strong views about.

One of the major beneficiaries of playing in England of course is Cardiff City the owner of which saw the appeal of such a competition and whom not only benefits from being in the English system but does so exponentially by 'franchising' the club to Malaysia and beyond. Like many things in the history of England we have been the inventor, the developer and, most importantly, the facilitator and guarantor of great opportunities of wealth accumulation for peoples well beyond these lands. As deferential a race, mixed up by viking, anglo saxon heathens, welsh rarebits and gaelic war lords as ever one might imagine. So let us give the foreign owner, particularly, of this non-English club a damn good hiding tonight please and in front of the world cameras no less. It is what the majority of viewers will want and expect and not just in England.

All of that said, one cannot feel antipathy toward the Cardiff fan; they are only supporting their team. In the spirit of an old fashioned Severnside derby, however, lets just give them a right good hiding. I needed to say that for a second time, sorry. :)

Cardiff 0 Bristol City 1 is not quite the hiding I want but in all other aspects of fair play, entertainment value and possession we have it in our locker to turn these ball bearing celts over.

Kodjia on around 60 minutes.

UTC.

have you left anything to write for the reverse fixture?

Technically Cardiff, like all other "Welsh" clubs are actually Part of England as Wales is only a Principality of England, another interesting fact that Havantopia left out, the original capital of the principality, was a place called Llandaff, it's a rather nice, quaint area,large houses, a huge cathedral, fantastic park, it's own castle and a wall with BCFC and a few other letters written next to it, it's only 1.5 miles from the centre of Cardiff town, in fact it's the only positive I can thank  of regarding Cardiff, oh and royally taking the piss, unposed all the way to the ground.

gobby *******.

Sorry to burst this particular myth, Aizoon, but Monmouthshire has never ever been part of England nor has it ever been a "coastal area" ( Havanatopia). As far as football is concerned- Havanatopia makes reference to the fact that this where the edges are blurred due to some clubs being in the English League but most in the Welsh League.

Monmouthshire was created as a county in Wales by Henry VIII as part of the Union Act in 1542. For some reason the administrative centre was Westminster whilst the other newly created counties in Wales were administered by The King's Great Session in Wales. This has led to a centuries old misconception that Monmouthshire was indeed part of England.

So next time you're having a big night out in Abergavenny with Horace- best not sing " you're English and you know you are" etc.

P.s How do Monmothians find their sheep in the long grass?

So why was it the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire, if Monmouthshire was part of South Wales?

Unfortunately, I will be monitoring Mr J Bond, instead of being beaten senseless by a group of taff yobs in an underpass tonight. So I will say what I need to say now:-

"Come on you lovely scrumpy lovin' babbers - stick it up those sheep ********"

Uncle TFR

That's no way to talk about the Heddlu - not in their hearing, anyway :nono: