IGNORED

Bolton's woes

Loderingo

Good article and comments about the mess Bolton are in:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/13945820.Neil_Lennon_at_a_loss_to_explain_lack_of_transfer_funds/?

Some of the fans are already resigned to relegation to League 1

Should be a good opportunity for us to pick up another 3 valuable points

Back when they were in the top division, Phil Gartside was always one of the noisiest voices calling for "Premier 2" and an end to relegation to the football league. This was because he knew the way Bolton was run made them completely unsustainable without Premier League income.

When they still had Sam Allardyce their model of paying huge wages for ageing stars (see also Pulis, Tony) was one that kept them punching above their weight. Without him, they were paying huge wages for mediocre players and now they've lost their main source of income. They're probably in quite a lot of trouble.

See this blog for all the gory detail: http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/why-bolton-have-so-much-debt.html (nb. This is from 2010 when they were still in the Premiership. Goodness knows what things are like now)

26 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Back when they were in the top division, Phil Gartside was always one of the noisiest voices calling for "Premier 2" and an end to relegation to the football league. This was because he knew the way Bolton was run made them completely unsustainable without Premier League income.

When they still had Sam Allardyce their model of paying huge wages for ageing stars (see also Pulis, Tony) was one that kept them punching above their weight. Without him, they were paying huge wages for mediocre players and now they've lost their main source of income. They're probably in quite a lot of trouble.

See this blog for all the gory detail: http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/why-bolton-have-so-much-debt.html (nb. This is from 2010 when they were still in the Premiership. Goodness knows what things are like now)

Beat me to it, Dan

Gartside knew the writing was on the wall a long time ago. Feel sorry for the fans, but not the man signing the cheques. To be honest, I'm surprised they are still in business

You have to feel sorry for their fans. I saw City lose at Bolton back in the day, but the experience was worse than the defeat. As someone suggested, if you sing "this is a shithole, I want to go home" up there, the home fans will probably join in.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

So, according to Kid, the debt has doubled and no doubt counting. I think i am right in saying Sam walked and later said he wanted Gartside to spend because they were on the verge of breaking into the top four. That was not so long ago remember and Sam was probably not entirely wrong with his prediction; imagine that now... The chance for the smaller club has all but gone, probably for good. Bring on the bubble i say; lets level this playing field.

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They are the next Portsmouth.

Who is going to buy them when they are £180 million in debt, get an average crowd of 13,000 and heading for League One?

Thing is they are significantly smaller than Portsmouth.  They won't be getting 17k in League 2

26 minutes ago, BigTone said:

There is a god

That is so true.

When I was at Uni in Liverpool back in the 70s one of my drinking mates said we were playing Bolton that Saturday. We could go and see his family, get a decent lunch out of his Mum, have a few drinks and watch the game. So I stood in the home end and cheered as Bolton slotted in 6 or 7 goals. My mate could not understand me until I pointed out that I supported City and not Rovers.

Yes that was a good day.

9 minutes ago, mikep said:

That is so true.

When I was at Uni in Liverpool back in the 70s one of my drinking mates said we were playing Bolton that Saturday. We could go and see his family, get a decent lunch out of his Mum, have a few drinks and watch the game. So I stood in the home end and cheered as Bolton slotted in 6 or 7 goals. My mate could not understand me until I pointed out that I supported City and not Rovers.

Yes that was a good day.

A good day indeed

36 minutes ago, mikep said:

That is so true.

Yes that was a good day.

Bolton 5-1 Gas

January 1975

If Bolton go down I could see the club folding and I'm not sure there'd be the same desire (or ability) to save them if that happened

The fans don't deserve it, but I don't suppose many of them were complaining too hard when they were mixing with the big boys. All I really care about in the short term is getting 3 points on Saturday and putting 7 points between us and them 

16 hours ago, Aizoon said:

On 11/3/2015, 11:21:07, Shtanley said:
48 minutes ago, Kingswood mask said:

Went to Bolton circa 75 ish,....didn't see the game, was too busy avoiding incoming bits of broken up terracing !

I was there, 75-76 promotion season, top of the table clash 5 days before Christmas.

Gloomy cold day, we lost 1-0, and I remember a young Sam Allardyce was playing for Bolton.

No segregation and the City fans were hemmed in, surrounded by police, against a high wall at the back of a huge open terrace with Bolton fans chucking stuff at them throughout.

I was incognito with my brother in the top corner of the same terrace so had a good view of the 'action' to my left throughout.

At the end we left the ground crammed in with celebrating Bolton fans singing, 'We are top of the league.'

Which I think we might have been had we not lost.

Miserable day but at the end of the season we went up, and Bolton missed out by one point.

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was there, 75-76 promotion season, top of the table clash 5 days before Christmas.

Gloomy cold day, we lost 1-0, and I remember a young Sam Allardyce was playing for Bolton.

No segregation and the City fans were hemmed in, surrounded by police, against a high wall at the back of a huge open terrace with Bolton fans chucking stuff at them throughout.

I was incognito with my brother in the top corner of the same terrace so had a good view of the 'action' to my left throughout.

At the end we left the ground crammed in with celebrating Bolton fans singing, 'We are top of the league.'

Which I think we might have been had we not lost.

Miserable day but at the end of the season we went up, and Bolton missed out by one point.

Yes, that was the one, one hell of a battle throughout the game, it was us and the police against the bolton fans,

loads of ours were stretchered out or carried out, worse scenes i have ever witnessed at a footy match, it was pretty hairy outside after the game as well :shocking:....................lets stuff em this weekend

2 hours ago, mikep said:

Only 5. It really did seem like more but that is probably the old memory playing tricks.

Cheers

Another high scoring anecdote about Bolton.

In October 1937, my father was staying at his brothers house in Gigg Lane, Bury, opposite the turnstiles to Bury FC.

On 30th he and his brother went to Burnden Park for a game against Chelsea. He had put the game as a draw on his pools entry.

Dad told me that the game was very even and ended in a 5-5 draw. He said he never put a game that was going to, on his pools coupon again.

As a former employee I suppose I should be careful what I say, but it was obvious in June that Bolton would go down this year. The academy has been demoted and stopped employing players under the age of 16 and the under 17 squads and younger were scrapped. One of the clubs training gyms was closed and items sold, with only the first team gym open meaning the academy players have no gym of their own anymore. 18 of us were made unemployed in August and were given 2 days notice.

Things are going to get worse before they get better.

11 hours ago, cottsciderarmy said:

As a former employee I suppose I should be careful what I say, but it was obvious in June that Bolton would go down this year. The academy has been demoted and stopped employing players under the age of 16 and the under 17 squads and younger were scrapped. One of the clubs training gyms was closed and items sold, with only the first team gym open meaning the academy players have no gym of their own anymore. 18 of us were made unemployed in August and were given 2 days notice.

Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Things are going to be bankrupt before it gets better. They must be insolvent with debts of that size. 

On 05/11/2015 15:32:24, Loderingo said:

Good article and comments about the mess Bolton are in:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/13945820.Neil_Lennon_at_a_loss_to_explain_lack_of_transfer_funds/?

Some of the fans are already resigned to relegation to League 1

Should be a good opportunity for us to pick up another 3 valuable points

Interesting to see in the Bolton news that end of terrace property guide price of £45,000...!

Archived