IGNORED

Wearing poppies

BCFC Jimmer

I'm interested to know if anyone chooses not to wear them? It seems there is an increasing number of those who don't

As someone who is very anti-war I can start to understand why people wouldn't wear them for that reason.

Though surely the sacrifices so many made outweighs anything else?

4 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

I'm interested to know if anyone chooses not to wear them? It seems there is an increasing number of those who don't

As someone who is very anti-war I can start to understand why people wouldn't wear them for that reason.

Though surely the sacrifices so many made outweighs anything else?

The argument stated by some morons in the press last week, that they don't wear a poppy because they are 'anti war' is beyond stupid, the poppy is not and never has been a symbol of promoting or glamourising war, it is a symbol that shows respect to those who have died in wars, some wars that have helped ensure the freedoms that allows these morons to carry on being morons and more importantly as an ex armed forces 20 year veteran pointed out at the time, that during his 20 years and the meeting of many thousand other members of the armed forces, he is yet to meet one who is pro war.

People are free to do and wear what they want, but being anti war doesn't hold water as an excuse, because wearing a poppy doesn't suggest that you are pro war, it suggests respect for the people who have sacrificed their lives including deserters murdered by the state in the 1st world war and bomb disposal officers who even in this day and age take the risks to make sure that even morons don't get blown up, there are a host of reasons why people should wear a poppy and wear it with pride.

if Corbyn can wear one just to appear cuddly then there is no excuse.

I don't wear one simply because of the pressure that is put upon people to wear it these days by a minority of idiots. It's almost become a badge of honour which you can use to attack people that choose not to wear it.

I can have respect without having to wear something that proves my respect to the general public.

Both sides are as boring as each other!

4 minutes ago, BristolCity1992 said:

I don't wear one simply because of the pressure that is put upon people to wear it these days by a minority of idiots. It's almost become a badge of honour which you can use to attack people that choose not to wear it.

I can have respect without having to wear something that proves my respect to the general public.

Both sides are as boring as each other!

Wow what a strange definition of pressure, of course you can choose whether you wear one or not but please that's not pressure. Pressure is what the bomb disposal men call the 'long walk', trying to ensure that a suspicious package or car is exactly that only suspicious, so that you and others can walk safely by.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The argument stated by some morons in the press last week, that they don't wear a poppy because they are 'anti war' is beyond stupid, the poppy is not and never has been a symbol of promoting or glamourising war, it is a symbol that shows respect to those who have died in wars, some wars that have helped ensure the freedoms that allows these morons to carry on being morons and more importantly as an ex armed forces 20 year veteran pointed out at the time, that during his 20 years and the meeting of many thousand other members of the armed forces, he is yet to meet one who is pro war.

People are free to do and wear what they want, but being anti war doesn't hold water as an excuse, because wearing a poppy doesn't suggest that you are pro war, it suggests respect for the people who have sacrificed their lives including deserters murdered by the state in the 1st world war and bomb disposal officers who even in this day and age take the risks to make sure that even morons don't get blown up, there are a host of reasons why people should wear a poppy and wear it with pride.

if Corbyn can wear one just to appear cuddly then there is no excuse.

But - to be clear - one could choose not to wear one?

And you won't be making any judgement?

16 minutes ago, Moloch said:

But - to be clear - one could choose not to wear one?

And you won't be making any judgement?

To be clear that is what I said, I won't make a judgement, I don't and would never point out people not wearing a poppy i've got better things to do with my time, but if that person decides to put his reasoning out there, then they have laid it open to scrutiny, surely that's fair?.

and IMO being anti war does not wash with me.

and to be honest I would have more respect for Corbyn for instance if he followed his deeply held past principles and not changed them to appear more 'electable', because he is surely bowing down to the pressure of the tory press or has just realised that an overwhelming majority of voters actually support our armed services. Whatever the reason it obviously doesn't sit to well with him, looking at his body language.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Wow what a strange definition of pressure, of course you can choose whether you wear one or not but please that's not pressure. Pressure is what the bomb disposal men call the 'long walk', trying to ensure that a suspicious package or car is exactly that only suspicious, so that you and others can walk safely by.

What a silly comparison. It's this exact argument that puts me off the whole thing. Well done.

By the way I am more than aware of the risks and pressure that people in the army are in when they are serving and when they're at home.

7 minutes ago, BristolCity1992 said:

What a silly comparison. It's this exact argument that puts me off the whole thing. Well done.

By the way I am more than aware of the risks and pressure that people in the army are in.

I don't know what you imagine you read, it's not a comparison, the only people put under pressure to wear poppies are public figures and that is mainly down to the press, individually if you decide not to wear one nobody cares but if they ask why tell them to mind their own business, I don't see where the pressure of which you speak comes from, it's not pressure it's choice.

17 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I don't know what you imagine you read, it's not a comparison, the only people put under pressure to wear poppies are public figures and that is mainly down to the press, individually if you decide not to wear one nobody cares but if they ask why tell them to mind their own business, I don't see where the pressure of which you speak comes from, it's not pressure it's choice.

Did you see what happened to Sienna Miller or Charlene White?

Sadly not everyone is as relaxed as you Es, and get quite touchy about people not wearing poppies.

Jon Snow on "Poppy Fascism"

(Points for the first to make a Game of Thrones joke)

If someone dared to appear on TV without a poppy about four weeks ago they were getting pelters on social media.  It's ridiculous. Just wear one the seven days before Rememberance Day I say.

People seem to wear them with pride but nowadays the pride is with themselves for being better than everyone not wearing one 

13 minutes ago, Moloch said:

Did you see what happened to Sienna Miller or Charlene White?

Sadly not everyone is as relaxed as you Es, and get quite touchy about people not wearing poppies.

No I didn't but I suspect this is sadly the world that we live in, a photograph is taken and within seconds it's out there for the world to see and get angry about, they are both public figures and sadly proves my point about public figures and even sadder Britain has become obsessed by the cult of celebrity, why? god only knows, my point is nobody in general gives a shit whether Joe or Josephine Soap wears a poppy or not, but celebrities are considered fair game, again sadly the strange world that we live in.

There was an article in the DM last week and it's headline actually said " Prince Andrews ex Koo Stark tosses her hair provocatively whilst out walking ", I shit you not it wasn't just a photo with a caption it was a headline with the non story, but apparently people want/need this shit.

46 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If someone dared to appear on TV without a poppy about four weeks ago they were getting pelters on social media.  It's ridiculous. Just wear one the seven days before Rememberance Day I say.

People seem to wear them with pride but nowadays the pride is with themselves for being better than everyone not wearing one 

Agree, but it's only the public figures being judged, nobody cares about you or I, it's our wonderful media as usual.

i'll let you into a secret, Mrs Bung and I thought we were moving earlier this year and got rid of loads of accumulated shit, including our christmas tree and then the sale fell through, no christmas tree this year, to be honest I don't believe in christmas anyway but feeling the pressure to buy a new one in case my family, friends or neighbours judge me.

I've never understood the "I'll not wear a poppy as it glamourises conflict" argument. That was clearly not the intention of the poppy when first introduced as a symbol and if you believe that nefarious forces have co-opted it for an extreme ideology or a significant something else, I would argue you should continue to wear one so as to show solidarity with the original purpose, which is of course to remember- I whatever way is appropriate to you- those who have died in conflict. And if you don't wear one? Absolutely fine by me- I buy one, stick it on a jacket and then wear it until it inevitably gets a bit crumpled and falls off (though this years is lasting like a trooper!). I don't run straight out to get another one and don't really give a **** if anyone judges me

PS bad news on Christmas being cancelled Es, at least you won't have to put up with dry turkey and Cliff Richard hymns this year, which is surely a good thing

1 hour ago, Collis1 said:

Without wanting to descend into another Corbyn debate - this is one of the most ignorant posts I have read on here for a long time.  Unless you are fishing?

Well let's put it this way, was his attendance there against his principles?, absolutely 100% yes it was, was his attendance there because it is expected as the leader of a UK opposition party?, absolutely 100% yes it was, was his attendance awkward and unconvincing?, yes of course it was because of the first 2 questions.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well let's put it this way, was his attendance there against his principles?, absolutely 100% yes it was, was his attendance there because it is expected as the leader of a UK opposition party?, absolutely 100% yes it was, was his attendance awkward and unconvincing?, yes of course it was because of the first 2 questions.

Surely that could apply to numerous people in attendance though?

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I'm not sure why his attendance was "against his principals". He's a pacifist, that doesn't mean he doesn't have respect for war veterans- unless he's ever said he has no respect for them? In fact, while all the other dignitaries went off to a VIP lunch before the parade had even finished, Corbyn stood and watched the rest of the parade before going to a second remembrance day service in his own constituency. He's really damned if he does and damned if he doesn't by your logic- imagine the furore if he'd refused to attend?!?!

I'm yet to be entirely convinced by Corbyn and doubt he'll survive until the next election, but the procession of upper class society stalwarts in politics, business and the military telling us that Jezza will send us all to hell in a handcart makes me think he's doing something right

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

I'm not sure why his attendance was "against his principals". He's a pacifist, that doesn't mean he doesn't have respect for war veterans- unless he's ever said he has no respect for them? In fact, while all the other dignitaries went off to a VIP lunch before the parade had even finished, Corbyn stood and watched the rest of the parade before going to a second remembrance day service in his own constituency. He's really damned if he does and damned if he doesn't by your logic- imagine the furore if he'd refused to attend?!?!

I'm yet to be entirely convinced by Corbyn and doubt he'll survive until the next election, but the procession of upper class society stalwarts in politics, business and the military telling us that Jezza will send us all to hell in a handcart makes me think he's doing something right

Ian Hislop doesn't agree with you on that particular point.

Corbyn wants to allow people to opt out of the element of tax that funds the armed forces and his dream is a country without any armed forces, that hardly makes him chairman of it's fan club?.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Ian Hislop doesn't agree with you on that particular point.

Corbyn wants to allow people to opt out of the element of tax that funds the armed forces and his dream is a country without any armed forces, that hardly makes him chairman of it's fan club?.

Shit, I must be wrong then! 

Just because he doesn't believe a standing army to be necessary (I disagree with him on that btw) or believe that conflict is the answer to anything, doesn't mean he can't show respect to war veterans. In fact, I imagine an old commie like Corbyn has a great deal of respect for men and women who stood up to fascism in the 1930s and 40s. I don't think he has to be a 'fan' of the armed forces to recognise the sacrifice of the people who served within them. Personally, I wear a poppy in rememberance of those individuals who gave their lives, not to celebrate the institution in which they served

25 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Shit, I must be wrong then! 

Just because he doesn't believe a standing army to be necessary (I disagree with him on that btw) or believe that conflict is the answer to anything, doesn't mean he can't show respect to war veterans. In fact, I imagine an old commie like Corbyn has a great deal of respect for men and women who stood up to fascism in the 1930s and 40s. I don't think he has to be a 'fan' of the armed forces to recognise the sacrifice of the people who served within them. Personally, I wear a poppy in rememberance of those individuals who gave their lives, not to celebrate the institution in which they served

Everybody is wrong if they don't agree with you and one or two others and that includes BB.

Christ on a bike! I agree with BCR!

The politicising of this issue in recent years has been very unpleasant.

I drop my money in the tin, but don't sport the little paper flower. For a start I rarely wear anything with a buttonhole, and I have a slight resentment over "poppy pressure" in certain media organisations.

Of course, this means I am approached more than once, but I'm happy too contribute on multiple occasions. The RBL does some great work.

The girls wear poppies. Any clothing accesory is a plus for them.

Archived