IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Hull City Match Day Thread

At Hull's ferry port, a man opened the back of a lorry and found two dozen Syrians hiding amongst the boxes.
Cowering, one said in poor English, "We just want better life. We don't like the poverty, the hardship."
"Too right, mate," said the Englishman. "Hull's a right 5hithole! Move over, I'm coming with you on the boat to Amsterdam."

The insults heaped on Hull are so ingrained they seem part of its architecture. "From Hell, Hull and Halifax, good Lord deliver us," pleaded a 17th-century verse that helped colour Britain's view of the city for the next four centuries.

When Hull enters the national consciousness, it is usually as a totem of social deprivation. Few places can match it in the misery stakes. At any one time 51 people are chasing each job vacancy in a port city whose buildings were devastated by the Luftwaffe and whose trawling industry was destroyed by the cod wars of the 70s.

Today almost two-fifths of the population have no qualifications. Only 20% of the city's inhabitants patronise the arts. The melancholy poetry of its secular patron saint, Philip Larkin, seems to ooze from the banks of the Humber.

But the view that Hull is on its uppers is, its defenders believe, lazy and unfair. And now Hull has had enough. In a move that is likely to see trawlerloads of sarcasm sent up to Humberside is bidding to become the UK's 2017 city of culture so say the Guardian... wow... did they win that race? 

It is a far cry from the 1300's when the King bought the town, then of 3,500 souls and renamed it Kingston (Kings Town) Upon Hull to utilise and develop the port for a base to fight the Scots.

And now for something completely different..

565030e9e7331_SteveBruce.jpg.7e23af2736b

It is just a real shame that Steve Bruce does not instil the same dietary 'discipline' into his players that he does in himself.

Bring on Hull Tigers, I think that sounds ggggrreeaaaatttttttt.

In all seriousness though we must salute the true Hull fan for fighting for their rights to keep Hull City and not submit to some totally out of touch foreign charlie trying to rip up 100 years of history because his Asian fans will 'buy' into the name much more. Lets run these toss pots out of English football i say. 

There will be no history lesson on Hull City; there is only one result we must bury and we will and can do it today. That is ALL that matters for today so lets get behind the lads and roar them on to a deserved victory.

2-1

full house

Kodjia and Flint, about time he got his goal head and boots going.

UTC

• Like 8
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

At Hull's ferry port, a man opened the back of a lorry and found two dozen Syrians hiding amongst the boxes.
Cowering, one said in poor English, "We just want better life. We don't like the poverty, the hardship."
"Too right, mate," said the Englishman. "Hull's a right 5hithole! Move over, I'm coming with you on the boat to Amsterdam."

The insults heaped on Hull are so ingrained they seem part of its architecture. "From Hell, Hull and Halifax, good Lord deliver us," pleaded a 17th-century verse that helped colour Britain's view of the city for the next four centuries.

When Hull enters the national consciousness, it is usually as a totem of social deprivation. Few places can match it in the misery stakes. At any one time 51 people are chasing each job vacancy in a port city whose buildings were devastated by the Luftwaffe and whose trawling industry was destroyed by the cod wars of the 70s.

Today almost two-fifths of the population have no qualifications. Only 20% of the city's inhabitants patronise the arts. The melancholy poetry of its secular patron saint, Philip Larkin, seems to ooze from the banks of the Humber.

But the view that Hull is on its uppers is, its defenders believe, lazy and unfair. And now Hull has had enough. In a move that is likely to see trawlerloads of sarcasm sent up to Humberside is bidding to become the UK's 2017 city of culture so say the Guardian... wow... did they win that race? 

It is a far cry from the 1300's when the King bought the town, then of 3,500 souls and renamed it Kingston (Kings Town) Upon Hull to utilise and develop the port for a base to fight the Scots.

It is just a real shame that Steve Bruce does not instil the same dietary 'discipline' into his players that he does in himself.

In all seriousness though we must salute the true Hull fan for fighting for their rights to keep Hull City and not submit to some totally out of touch foreign charlie trying to rip up 100 years of history because his Asian fans will 'buy' into the name much more. Lets run these toss pots out of English football i say. 

There will be no history lesson on Hull City; there is only one result we must bury and we will and can do it today. That is ALL that matters for today so lets get behind the lads and roar them on to a deserved victory.

2-1

full house

UTC

Condensed Version

Hull:

Shithole in East Yorkshire that stinks of fish and also of Grimsby when the wind blows in the wrong direction.

Best known for brilliant musician Mick Ronson and that ugly SYNT Dean Windass

• Like 1

Great work @havanatopia! Just to add to the interesting facts, the river Hull, from where the city gets is name, splits the urban area in two, much like our fair Avon. Those in East Hull are generally looked down at as the poorer relations (and typically support Hull KR), whilst those in the West have a superiority complex and generally support Hull FC.

Hull also opted to keep its own phone network back in the day, hence you will find white phone boxes not the usual red.

I have actually driven back home from Hull this morning. There seems to be a quiet confidence in the air (or maybe that's just the gale force winds). Really hoping we get some sort of result today, or my Monday morning at work is gonna be hell (in hull). 

I'd take a point all day and night, so 1-1.

If I were a betting man, we are going to get beat (NOT spanked) either 1-2 or 0-2.

If you ask me as a City supporter, then 3-1 to City.

As for the rest of you - stop sitting on the fence.

:disapointed2se:

Uncle TFR

P.S. Match weather: wear a coat - we are not in Newcastle.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

2-1

full house

UTC

Top start again , terrific thread starter .

It makes you almost feel sorry for the Hullabaloos.

Still we have a bit of unfinished business with them don't we ? Let's send them home to their cod lots as happy as we were after THAT match at Wembley..

We also now know who nabbed all Bristol Rob's food vouchers !

Edited by Major Isewater
10 minutes ago, rockinrobin said:

Teams are in

1. #BristolCity v Hull: Fielding, Bennett, Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Agard, Kodjia.

Subs

Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets 9 mins9 minutes ago

#BristolCity subs: O'Leary, Bryan, Moore, Little, Reid, Cox, Wilbraham

What no Wilbs ? what's that bloke got to do to get a game ?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Just a little bit overexcited for this game , in front of my computer  at 12.30 , forgot that you lot are an hour behind :facepalm:

I won't say anything to Mrs Isewater ,i'll just tell her that there was a lot of injury time .

Are you streaming the game your Majorship ?