IGNORED

The Official Rotherham United v Bristol City match Day Thread

I was going to paste up another fat bloke for this match but of course he has slithered across from South to West Yorkshire. The current manager who, I believe, is Mr. Neil Redfearn of course came rather recently from the opposite direction. Its a funny old game is football management. He is a local lad having been born in Dewsbury one of the few towns in the Yorkshire Lancashire cloth belt still manufacturing fabrics. Good on em I say. Redfearn played for a plethora of football clubs with his league career coming to an end in the mid naughties. His longest spell was with Barnsley and most of his teams, save for Watford, Palace and Charlton were 'northern' teams. Enough of that nonsense.

Rotherham United, from memory, were elected to the Football league in 1925 when, in fact, two Rotherham teams were joined as one. I will always remember the day we beat them 3-1 to gain promotion to the Championship and they were already going in the opposite direction.. Many hundreds of their fans stayed behind afterwards and roundly applauded our boys. I thought it was a really nice gesture and one that was not lost on thousands of City fans on the day; showing our appreciation to them in turn.

Rotherham, the town, sits on the River Don, as do Sheffield and Doncaster, and is close to the confluence with the river Rother from which the town derives its name. 

The people of Rotherham should be rightfully proud of the achievements of their forefathers:- From the Battle of Trafalgar to the bridges of London, and from St Paul's Cathedral to the Great Eastern steam ship, the influence of Rotherham's great industries has been felt far beyond the boundaries of Yorkshire. The great furnaces and mills made the cannon that armed Nelson's HMS Victory at Trafalgar, the castings that bridged rivers as far apart as London and Jamaica, the steel straps that were installed to stop the dome of St Paul's from falling apart, the valves used in the Mulberry harbours that made D-Day possible and the plates that clad Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Great Eastern. Rotherham-made pipes helped bring fresh water supplies to Hong Kong. The town's factories made everything from brakes for World War II bombers to fireplaces for great houses like Wentworth Woodhouse. Its a bit of a who's who alright.

Rotherham has a population of 117,000 (2001 Census) with the borough as a whole a rather surprising 248,000, in total. Yet it today comes under the Sheffield 'urban contigious area' with the centres of both being a mere 5.6 miles apart. Back in the early days there had been Ironage and Roman settlements but it was not really established until the Middle ages by the Saxons. The name is an easy one to decipher; ham, meaning homestead of course that sits on the Rother.

Here are a few odd, interesting and completely useless factoids about Rotherham:-

1. Joseph Foljambe made the first commercially successful iron plough in the town.

2. Milling grain flour was a traditional industry in Rotherham and was home for a long time to Rank Hovis MacDougal. (where have they gone then?). The Millers became a fairly obvious nickname for the football club possibly chosen ahead of Iron because S****horpe and at least one other club, who's name escapes me, use.

3. Rotherham has for decades been a Labour party stronghold, like much of industrial Yorkshire, but more so here perhaps partly due to the sheer number of jobs that were lost to coal mining a major mineral wealth under the town along, also, with iron. Labour control 74% of the council with 20% by UKIP.. nobody else gets a look in. That despite the fact that ex Rotherham MP Denis mcShane was jailed for expenses abuse.

Lets hope that we get a decent referee of the Howard Webb standard then, he was born in Rotherham so it might be a good omen and we can be laughing like the Chuckle Brothers come 5pm and hopefully they, no doubt Millers fans, won't be.

I went for a bizarre 0-3 .. seems quite a few others are banking on that scoreline also. We might just let rip, lets hope so.

UTC

Well done to all those going.. a fabulous effort... cheer the City on to victory.

Kodjia, Smith, Agard.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 9
5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I was going to paste up another fat bloke for this match but of course he has slithered across from South to West Yorkshire. The current manager who, I believe, is Mr. Neil Redfearn of course came rather recently from the opposite direction. Its a funny old game is football management. He is a local lad having been born in Dewsbury one of the few towns in the Yorkshire Lancashire cloth belt still manufacturing fabrics. Good on em I say. Redfearn played for a plethora of football clubs with his league career coming to an end in the mid naughties. His longest spell was with Barnsley and most of his teams, save for Watford, Palace and Charlton were 'northern' teams. Enough of that nonsense.

Rotherham United, from memory, were elected to the Football league in 1925 when, in fact, two Rotherham teams were joined as one. I will always remember the day we beat them 3-1 to gain promotion to the Championship and they were already going in the opposite direction.. Many hundreds of their fans stayed behind afterwards and roundly applauded our boys. I thought it was a really nice gesture and one that was not lost on thousands of City fans on the day; showing our appreciation to them in turn.

Rotherham, the town, sits on the River Don, as do Sheffield and Doncaster, and is close to the confluence with the river Rother from which the town derives its name. 

The people of Rotherham should be rightfully proud of the achievements of their forefathers:- From the Battle of Trafalgar to the bridges of London, and from St Paul's Cathedral to the Great Eastern steam ship, the influence of Rotherham's great industries has been felt far beyond the boundaries of Yorkshire. The great furnaces and mills made the cannon that armed Nelson's HMS Victory at Trafalgar, the castings that bridged rivers as far apart as London and Jamaica, the steel straps that were installed to stop the dome of St Paul's from falling apart, the valves used in the Mulberry harbours that made D-Day possible and the plates that clad Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Great Eastern. Rotherham-made pipes helped bring fresh water supplies to Hong Kong. The town's factories made everything from brakes for World War II bombers to fireplaces for great houses like Wentworth Woodhouse. Its a bit of a who's who alright.

Rotherham has a population of 117,000 (2001 Census) with the borough as a whole a rather surprising 248,000, in total. Yet it today comes under the Sheffield 'urban contigious area' with the centres of both being a mere 5.6 miles apart. Back in the early days there had been Ironage and Roman settlements but it was not really established until the Middle ages by the Saxons. The name is an easy one to decipher; ham, meaning homestead of course that sits on the Rother.

Here are a few odd, interesting and completely useless factoids about Rotherham:-

1. Joseph Foljambe made the first commercially successful iron plough in the town.

2. Milling grain flour was a traditional industry in Rotherham and was home for a long time to Rank Hovis MacDougal. (where have they gone then?). The Millers became a fairly obvious nickname for the football club possibly chosen ahead of Iron because S****horpe and at least one other club, who's name escapes me, use.

3. Rotherham has for decades been a Labour party stronghold, like much of industrial Yorkshire, but more so here perhaps partly due to the sheer number of jobs that were lost to coal mining a major mineral wealth under the town along, also, with iron. Labour control 74% of the council with 20% by UKIP.. nobody else gets a look in. That despite the fact that ex Rotherham MP Denis mcShane was jailed for expenses abuse.

Lets hope that we get a decent referee of the Howard Webb standard then, he was born in Rotherham so it might be a good omen and we can be laughing like the Chuckle Brothers come 5pm and hopefully they, no doubt Millers fans, won't be.

I went for a bizarre 0-3 .. seems quite a few others are banking on that scoreline also. We might just let rip, lets hope so.

UTC

Well done to all those going.. a fabulous effort... cheer the City on to victory.

Kodjia, Smith, Agard.

very thorough H

very thorough

• Like 1
5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

UTC

Kodjia, Smith, Agard.

Condensed Version

Rotherham

A shithole near Sheffield best forgotten for its most recent scandal.

Mr Putin, please take aim with my blessing.

2-0 City

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Condensed Version

Rotherham

A shithole near Sheffield best forgotten for its most recent scandal.

Mr Putin, please take aim with my blessing.

2-0 City

Good thing your condensed versions aren't at all predictable Tone:)

4 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

1-1. Couldnt beat Bolton so gives me no confidence for us to convincingly beat these

Bolton, poor side though they were, have been tough to beat at home - only lost once at the Reebok this season. Rotherham, on the other hand, have been shipping goals for fun. Ipswich put 5 past them the other week. 

We'll win. Easy :)

26 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

The players will need to be prepared for a battle today,Rotherham will be at us out of the blocks,big physical side,plus heavy rain all afternoon..shoot on sight!!..clever use of sub's could be critical today in the conditions..

Well we are ****** aren't we then

• Like 2

Lovely job Hava, I really need to revise my knowledge of English rivers - I never knew there was a River Don.  The criminal mastermind of all rivers.  For my sins, I've never heard of the Rother either. I feel like this new-found knowledge of English rivers is going to serve me very well indeed.

City to win 2 - 1 today.

Hopefully we can scout for any more strikers that we can nick off of them - just like Shaun Goater and Kieran Agard....

25 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Lovely job Hava, I really need to revise my knowledge of English rivers - I never knew there was a River Don.  The criminal mastermind of all rivers.  For my sins, I've never heard of the Rother either. I feel like this new-found knowledge of English rivers is going to serve me very well indeed.

City to win 2 - 1 today.

Hopefully we can scout for any more strikers that we can nick off of them - just like Shaun Goater and Kieran Agard....

And we sold them Bobby "Shadow" Williams :(

Football's a funny old game. I think it's going to be a game of two halves. In the first Rotherham will set out their stall and aim to grind out a 1-0 win. Early doors they'll get a goal which will put City on the back foot. City are a better team, but the pitch will be a great leveller, so still 1-0 down at half time, with the City supporters sick as parrots. 

Second half, City will come out fighting, and give 110%. The boy Pack will surprise a few with 2 goals, both from 30 yards. City on top, but as it's a relegation dogfight, the last few minutes will be squeaky bum time. Not an entertaining match, but at the end of the day it's a relegation dog fight and a real six pointer. Final score City win 2-1 and supporters over the moon. 

(Sorry if I've missed any cliches)

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

We once had a player called Bobby "Shadow" Williams?  Why was he known as the Shadow?

His fans would say it was because he slipped through opposing defences. His detractors because he disappeared from the game for long periods.

I thought he was serious class, but that's not a universal opinion. Think Martin Peters...

14 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

We once had a player called Bobby "Shadow" Williams?  Why was he known as the Shadow?

When he was at school he always tried to join in with the older boys playing football. He was like a shadow that wouldn't go away, hence the nickname. 

• Like 1