IGNORED

Inside south stand

Coombsy

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Surprised to see Sir Geoffrey Merrick not there

Sir Geoffrey made 433 appearances over 14 seasons and captained City to promotion to the top league.

His absence is disgraceful.

Hopefully just an oversight which will be corrected without delay.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sir Geoffrey made 433 appearances over 14 seasons and captained City to promotion to the top league.

Fully agree, the classiest centre half we've ever had, could of gone to Arsenal as well but decided to stay with his home town club, I've always felt that he's never had the appreciation he deserves and that supporters would rather gush over supposedly "legends" like Jacki and Tinnion

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

And Trevor Tainton? Over 480 games? 

I suppose there are lots of loyal guys who deserve to be there 

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Tom Ritchie?

May well be wrong but I always thought you were a younger poster so interesting that you've suggested him.

The players selected were always going to cause debate, I would have liked to see the theme continued in the Dolman instead of the display in there (which I think looks a bit rubbish). 

Theres plenty of space and they could have done, say, right hand side Bristol City legends and left hand side Rugby and/other sport legends. 

Players like Ritchie, Tainton and Merrick not there, and Wade Elliot is?

I rate Elliot as a player and a bloke, he's a done a great job with City and as captain but has he only been here 2 years or so? With 50 apps?

The other three played in the top flight with our club, got us there and played for City 10 years a piece!

That's at least worthy of a honours board. They are legends in my eyes, even if I didn't watch them play.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I rate Elliot as a player and a bloke, he's a done a great job with City and as captain but has he only been here 2 years or so? With 50 apps?

The other three played in the top flight with our club, got us there and played for City 10 years a piece!

That's at least worthy of a honours board. They are legends in my eyes, even if I didn't watch them play.

I agree with you, feel all currently there are worthy being in contention for such recognition, but whether in the "top 5" is debatable.

As above, I would prefer this theme and display to be bigger and span the dolman too, that way everyone deserving would get a spot and would be educational for people in the concourses.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

May well be wrong but I always thought you were a younger poster so interesting that you've suggested him.

The players selected were always going to cause debate, I would have liked to see the theme continued in the Dolman instead of the display in there (which I think looks a bit rubbish). 

Theres plenty of space and they could have done, say, right hand side Bristol City legends and left hand side Rugby and/other sport legends. 

I'm 21 fella but you only have to look at the stats and footage that he's a City legend.

Not to mention some posters on here have seen him play and said only good things about him!

15 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Tom Ritchie?

He made 414 apps with 102 goals from 1969 to early 1980s....

I wasn't born when he was playing but from what I've heard and those stats alone, it's a shock that he's not in there.

Great player and 2nd highest record goal scorer for city.

16 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I knew about Wade on Thursday/Friday and my initial reaction was that someone was winding me up, I just didn't understand it either. No disrespect to Elliott but if you asked any one of us to name some greats I doubt if many would name him.

BUT, like me I think you were all thinking about this wrong. I think the emphasis here is on the timeline rather than the greatness of the players. Wade s up there as he is our double winning captain I was told. I did still say though that this would be quite controversial.

10 minutes ago, Big C said:

Don't forget people there is another stand currently going up which will probably need something in it's concourse

I believe that's been earmarked for the Rugby...

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/south-stand-concourse-unveiled-2836173.aspx

"Ashton Gate is the home of both Bristol City and Bristol Rugby clubs and as such the West Stand will include tributes to Bristol Rugby and their heritage in the city."

35 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Tom Ritchie?

He made 414 apps with 102 goals from 1969 to early 1980s....

I wasn't born when he was playing but from what I've heard and those stats alone, it's a shock that he's not in there.

Have to agree, I am surprised he is not there. He was my favourite player at the time. Can remember calling him the flying scotsman. 

Archived