IGNORED

The Official Burnley v Bristol City Match Day Thread

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

4-0 FT ... thought we would lose but also thought we might come out angry after Charlton.. seems like a depressing whimper. Lacking quality all across the pitch, confidence is obviously a major worry now and dispensing with Wade Elliott and a bunch of other players close season before their replacements were brought it is looking somewhat awkward on the Cotts copybook. I am sure he has reason but surely you have to hold on to what you have before finding a replacement.

January is do or die now for him and for City.. got to get it right.

Your kidding right... Cotts needs to go and now, new manager, new ideas..

Let's get someone who can attract decent players in this league

• Like 1

For all the people that keep saying out squad isn't strong enough, etc just look at how Preston seem to be doing with what is a squad like ours or even worse....  The time for excuses is now over and it's time to act.  Do we give Cotts money in Jan (can't see anything exciting happening anyway) or do need need aa change at the top?  Difficult one but there should be no sentiment involved whichever way it goes...

6 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Your kidding right... Cotts needs to go and now, new manager, new ideas..

Let's get someone who can attract decent players in this league

Exactly this. Why people are still defending him and his inept running of our football team is beyond me. He needs to go and we need a proven champ manager brought in preferably before next weekend. We are certain to go down if we don't do it. We still have a chance if we make the change. 

We now have fewer points than after 24 matches compared to last time we were at this level (21 compared to 22), and we all know how that season panned out.

In our home game against Burnley there was a case to be made we were undone by a couple of slack moments on set pieces, and we at least fought to get a consolation goal - today we were brushed aside; that does not equal progress, by any measurement.

Also worth noting that Burnley were also in a run of form as poor as our own before this game, so it's not like we've met them at the 'wrong time' - they'll probably not hit as bad a patch as this for a while, so this was likely an opportunity for us, despite the fact I had no faith we'd get anything today.

I don't know what to think right now; I don't any other manager is getting more from the players we have, as I don't think the players we have are good enough to keep us up on their own - we need players of the right quality to make us competitive, and need them now (and several of them) - without quality additions, we should accept it will be a long remainder of the season, and that relegation is highly likely.

Criticised by some on otib before ko for being a pessimist, I answered that I, and others, were in fact realists 

It gives me little satisfaction to say I was right

SC must go.  If he has any decency he will resign, but sadly I guess he will have to be sacked

Yet I despair of our Board, of whom I have been consistently critical, for their deafening silence, this season.  But now they MUST act

I really fear that, again as I have been saying for a long time, I think SL and The Board are happy with third division football

I haven't felt like this since we hurtled down from first to fourth division in successive seasons

Please someone, anyone, cheer me up but please don't mention the January window; Even if we identify the right players and make an acceptable bid, who would want to come and join this sinking ship ?

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'd give him until after Middlesborough at home, if things haven't improved I think I'd be edging into the Cotts out camp. That way it allows the new manager to have the back end of January

What good is that. If we are going to get someone in then he will need the whole month of the transfer window.

I hoped it would work out for him but it isn't. Serious lack of flexibility to his management

• Like 1

I completely get why some want Cotts gone but I don't think another manager coming in would make any difference other than shifting some players around in different formations and maybe giving other players a chance. I don't personally feel the current squad in whatever formation is good enough. It might just about be good enough to avoid relegation but that's it. Any new manager would need exactly the same as Cotts. New players. 

I just hope we can get some in before it's too late. God knows what happened that the summer transfer window went spectacularly wrong but we really need to move on and focus on what is in front now. 

Right now I think a change of manager would be even more disruptive. They've got to focus on getting some players, stay in the division, add in the summer aswell and then we will see where Cotts can take them. 

• Like 5

Unless we already have someone lined up, there would be absolutely no point in dismissing Cotterill now - though I completely understand the temptation. We simply cannot have a period without a manager with the transfer window just days away. On that basis I think we will stick with him.

My biggest concern therefore is how do we expect a manager who had an entire summer and the momentum of a title-winning season to buy players, and failed, to now sign players in a single month with the side in the relegation zone?

I think we need to give cotts money to spend. We bought the lowest number of players of any championship club this season - and that's in a division that includes Blackburn and forest who were on embargoes plus Bolton and Birmingham city who have no money. 

we're in a league with 9 (I think) teams that have been in the prem in the last 5 years, and Add to that Brighton, boro, Wednesday, Derby and Leeds who all have a net spend for this season of over £4million. This is a tough league, but the manager has not been supported to improve the team.

If he doesn't improve it in Jan then he should go. spending money paying him off then giving the new manager money would be an even bigger gamble. We'd be better letting cotts spend the money.

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

What good is that. If we are going to get someone in then he will need the whole month of the transfer window.

I hoped it would work out for him but it isn't. Serious lack of flexibility to his management

Yeah but I don't want to get rid of him. Although I do blame Cotts for the general transfer failings. Clearly a bit too optimistic with his targets.

12 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Criticised by some on otib before ko for being a pessimist, I answered that I, and others, were in fact realists 

It gives me little satisfaction to say I was right

SC must go.  If he has any decency he will resign, but sadly I guess he will have to be sacked

Yet I despair of our Board, of whom I have been consistently critical, for their deafening silence, this season.  But now they MUST act

I really fear that, again as I have been saying for a long time, I think SL and The Board are happy with third division football

I haven't felt like this since we hurtled down from first to fourth division in successive seasons

Please someone, anyone, cheer me up but please don't mention the January window; Even if we identify the right players and make an acceptable bid, who would want to come and join this sinking ship ?

Right about what exactly? You were a pessimist before, you still are; you wanted Cotts out, i think you said that before, and you still want him out. Criticism or fact matters little; I do not see any reason to attempt to be deferential given its your own opinion. You look more smug than anything. Odd.

Go and enjoy new year.. more things in life than football. There. Cheer up, its not the end of the earth.

• Like 4

If we get out of this it will be little short of a miracle. I've followed the club through some dreadfully depressing seasons in the past…early 80s taking the biscuit…and what they've had in common with this season is the simple fact that from the off the squad hasn't been up to the job.

I feel sorry for the fans…and for the players who did such a good job earlier in the year. 

Shambles.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah but I don't want to get rid of him. Although I do blame Cotts for the general transfer failings. Clearly a bit too optimistic with his targets.

No sentiment in football though. He doesn't change formation, he's pig headed to say the least. Look at today, 2-0 at half time we obviously need to go for because we were getting thumped anyway. We have a proven championship striker on the bench and he doesn't even get on.

As regards the summer, you are right. Who chooses the transfer targets, the manager. SL has already stated the money was there for wages.

13 minutes ago, EDoubleD said:

I think we need to give cotts money to spend. We bought the lowest number of players of any championship club this season - and that's in a division that includes Blackburn and forest who were on embargoes plus Bolton and Birmingham city who have no money. 

we're in a league with 9 (I think) teams that have been in the prem in the last 5 years, and Add to that Brighton, boro, Wednesday, Derby and Leeds who all have a net spend for this season of over £4million. This is a tough league, but the manager has not been supported to improve the team.

If he doesn't improve it in Jan then he should go. spending money paying him off then giving the new manager money would be an even bigger gamble. We'd be better letting cotts spend the money.

Why do we keep hearing this "manager has not been supported to improve the team"?!

The board sanctioned enormous bids for players last summer, bids that shocked us all at the time. Very few other clubs in the division were bidding those sort of sums. Furthermore Lansdown has gone on record since to say that wages were not the issue with Gray, it was his preference to join a rival with realistic promotion prospects. 

If that isn't support, what is?

This team is beaten before kick off. SC has effectively undermined any residue of self confidence by saying in the press that he can't ask any more of his players. So they were as good as they could be and couldn't beat bottom of the table Charlton - how could they win today? He sent out similar message before the Derby game through his team selection and - in particular - dropping Kodja. He had effectively signalled before kick off that we weren't even going to try and win.  Ditto when we went down to ten men v Blackburn. The reshuffle effectively signalled to Blackburn that we didn't think we could win the game. Ditto the lack of subs until it is too late - the message is that the potential replacements are no better than the first ii which he's admitted aren't good enough. 

I've been prepared to back SC until now but I honestly think that squad morale has been mortally wounded and it is difficult to see how that can be reversed without a change of manager. 

42 minutes ago, samo II said:

We now have fewer points than after 24 matches compared to last time we were at this level (21 compared to 22), and we all know how that season panned out.

In our home game against Burnley there was a case to be made we were undone by a couple of slack moments on set pieces, and we at least fought to get a consolation goal - today we were brushed aside; that does not equal progress, by any measurement.

Also worth noting that Burnley were also in a run of form as poor as our own before this game, so it's not like we've met them at the 'wrong time' - they'll probably not hit as bad a patch as this for a while, so this was likely an opportunity for us, despite the fact I had no faith we'd get anything today.

I don't know what to think right now; I don't any other manager is getting more from the players we have, as I don't think the players we have are good enough to keep us up on their own - we need players of the right quality to make us competitive, and need them now (and several of them) - without quality additions, we should accept it will be a long remainder of the season, and that relegation is highly likely.

Spot on. Burnley had only one once in seven before today (v Charlton) and yet they rolled us over with barely a whimper. All vey well Cotts dying how good their squad is but their form was as poor as ours. asSamo says - we're going backwards rather than making progress.