IGNORED

The Official Reading v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good morning one and all. I would like to wish everyone a very healthy and happy 2016 and hope the Christmas cheer, usually on offer around this time, may be extended at least until 5pm today in Reading. The mere fact of mentioning it should tell the more casual of readers that this is no ordinary first match of the new year. That the team we all hold close to our hearts is struggling is enough to rouse emotions that often spill over into words that, in the heat of the moment, seem right but upon later reflection are out of place.

This is far from a sermon because I, like possibly all of us, have been guilty of writing sentences that later on I regret. At times I do wish that there was an edit button a little longer than the approximately 20 minutes.

The forum is a marvellous medium for espousing views of all kinds; we are very fortunate in the ability to do so yet we take it for granted every week. I am fortunate enough to travel a lot for work visiting other cultures. It never ceases to amaze me how many countries around the world offer only a small fraction of the freedoms we enjoy in our rather small island. We are all masters of our passion for sport, football and a team, perhaps the only team, from the marvellously noble city of Bristol. 

Today is no ordinary match but then I suppose no match ever is. However, it feels so. New year, lose again and we risk having to exponentially win so many in the remaining half of the season that the odds start running away from us. More than that every player could be considered to be playing for their ‘right’ to play into February when, we all hope, the squad will be bolstered by the ‘salvage squad’ who walk through the door, sign up and proudly done the crest of Bristol City Football Club. We need those signings perhaps more in the next 31 days than we have done in living memory; the thought of a relegation with a 27,000 all seater stadium is not very palatable.

New year is usually a period of reflection is it not? How important Bristol City is in that reflection or how utterly irrelevant it is in the wider scope of things is for each one of us to judge personally. We are fortunate the club will be here tomorrow thanks to an owner the majority of clubs would crave over. So life goes on. And in the context of reflection and life, on this day in 1971, it was cruelly taken from sixty six football fans at Ibrox Park Stadium, Glasgow when they were crushed to death. A minute of silence is probably something on the agenda in Scotland today if not England.

In order not to dwell too much on that sad anniversary we can remember on this day in 2005 when eleven year old Sylvia Lucas prepared to be reunited with with her parents having been rescued following the tsunami disaster after clinging to a piece of wood for 24 hours.

I am clinging to the hope City can leave the Madjeski Stadium today with their pride somewhat restored. I suppose for that to happen we simply must avoid defeat. Will anybody dare predict a draw or even a win? I leave that as an open question to avoid ending on a negative note again.

I am sure the City fans travelling down the M4 today will give their heart and soul in their vocal support. Your support, at the stadium, around the country, is absolutely vital. A truly stupendous effort. 2016 is going to be one huge roller coaster and January will tell us if City, the club, are at least making every possible effort to remain in this league. I am confident they will and, as a result, we will be playing Championship football next season.

Good luck to everybody in 2016. :)

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 17

First of all , Happy new year to you H ! 

Thank you for your dedication to the match day threads and OTIB .

You are spot on with your comments ,i have publicly stated that i think Cotts should go , for obvious reasons .

It is just my opinion but some  posters feel i 'm undermining the club in making such a statement , so in some ways i regret sharing my opinion.

i feel it's already too late to bring in a new man so hope Cotts makes my doubts look ridiculous , starting with a with in Reading that would make all those in favour of change look Berks . 

• Like 7

Great post from havanatopia.

Wish I was travelling along the M4 to watch the game but funds and family commitments wouldn't allow.

I can't help myself thinking about what a fabulous result it would be if we could win today. Then I remember how Reading outplayed us at AG earlier in the season. Tough game. Hope Cotts and the team rise to the challenge.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

First of all , Happy new year to you H ! 

Thank you for your dedication to the match day threads and OTIB .

You are spot on with your comments ,i have publicly stated that i think Cotts should go , for obvious reasons .

It is just my opinion but some  posters feel i 'm undermining the club in making such a statement , so in some ways i regret sharing my opinion.

i feel it's already too late to bring in a new man so hope Cotts makes my doubts look ridiculous , starting with a with in Reading that would make all those in favour of change look Berks . 

berks at berks. very good :clap:(im guessing reading is berkshire ?)

1 minute ago, The Red Planet said:

I believe we have sold out our initial allocation of 2800 tickets but POTD is available so we should be over 3000 !

A fantastic turnout - considering our recent form.

We sold out the 2800 a few days ago, a friend rung up this morning to book tickets late and the woman on the phone said it's been non stop all morning, hundreds buying last minute tickets!

Just now, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Getting a lift up with two Reading fans before going into the away end on my todger. 

Could be a long journey home.

Be safe in the knowledge you support a proper club. When they were at Elm Park none of the current brigade bothered to go. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Getting a lift up with two Reading fans before going into the away end on my todger. 

Could be a long journey home.

Hmm, Words rearranged in above sentence could produce amusing one liners worth 'Reading' ... (todger, end away, etc)

-over to you lot, lets hear 'em (can add up to 3 words of you own)

:)

I said it in another thread, I have a good feeling about today. Similar to how I felt before the Forest game which is probably our best performance of the season. 2-0 or 3-1. Reading has so much quality but seem to have hit a mid season block. It doesn't make any sense to fancy us but I do. COYR

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Griffin said:

We sold out the 2800 a few days ago, a friend rung up this morning to book tickets late and the woman on the phone said it's been non stop all morning, hundreds buying last minute tickets!

A lot of local football matches have been postponed, so I would imagine a lot of lads who normally play on a Saturday will now be going to Reading instead.

1 hour ago, The Red Planet said:

I believe we have sold out our initial allocation of 2800 tickets but POTD is available so we should be over 3000 !

A fantastic turnout - considering our recent form.

Truly stupendous effort.

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

Humbling how many are going given our league position. Imagine if we were at the right end of the table.

16 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Reading is not in form as we are. Think we have 50-50 to win. Always Believe. Coyr

City Last 6 - W1, D2, L3

Reading Last 6 - W1, D0, L5

I see what you mean!

Appreciate the compliments.. as always, thanks.

Edited by havanatopia
1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Reading is not in form as we are. Think we have 50-50 to win. Always Believe. Coyr

We are in form? 

I do hope we can get something from this game. Sneaking a win would be awesome!

But my head tells me it's going to be a tough day of the lads. 

Edited by Redrobbin
15 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

We are in form? 

I do hope we can get something from this game. Sneaking a win would be awesome!

But my head tells me it's going to be a tough day of the lads. 

The only thing I hope is that with two heavy defeats on the road behind us the team go out with nothing to lose, and perhaps by showing no fear we can nick something.

We need Leeds, Forest and next league opponents say Preston to do us some favours today.

Sticking my neck out for a draw. The away following enough to rouse a good 0-1 first half performance but tiredness, lack of confidence and no substitutions or change of tactics let Reading back in second half with a late equaliser. Many will say 1-1 is a good away point but if we want to stay up we need to win these.

Hope I'm wrong and we batter them obviously!!!