IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day Thread

In the early 1900's Preston had a strong manufacturing base and at one time built more Trams, including those used on the London Underground, than any other factory in Britain. In the years that followed The Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Works Limited, which later became Dic, Kerr Ltd, was responsible for building the rear fuselage for Concorde. I suppose it is safe to say that these svelte bodies could be seen on the back of flat bed lorries heading down the M6 bound for Filton. A commonality that Preston and Bristol share in the field of advanced world beating manufacturing.

Priest's Tun, meaning Farm or Estate, began as a village in the 12th century. Preston, sat on the River Ribble and later on a major trunk road heading north south and so was always going to be an ideal place, initially as a settlement and later, as a major contributor to Britain's industrial revolution. Trams, Trains, Aircraft, Tom Finney, Deepdale (the oldest continually used football ground in the world apparently), The first KFC in Britain as Abraham Romanovitch reminded us back in September last year and, another connection with Bristol, Nick Park. The Wallace and Gromit founder was born in Preston and studied Art and Design in the town. Concorde and Wallace & Gromit; two pretty decent connections between the two teams locking horns again this evening.

Earlier, in 1715, when the Scots took over Preston many of the towns folk welcomed them with open arms being of their Catholic persuasion as was James III whom the Scots wanted back on the throne. The sight of an English Arm army bombarding an English town must have been incongruous at best. The Scots and their Preston sympathisers were eventually surrounded and surrendered and 12 local folk were executed.

Major employers such as Leyland Motors and Courtaulds came and went and Preston suffered major decline in the 70's like most of the industrialised north but it does, according to 'Information Britain', boast the largest bus station in Europe. The 1960's brutalist design can take 80 double decker buses and is regarded by some as of major architectural significance. Others think it possibly the ugliest building in Lancashire and question its location half a mile from the city’s train station. Big Tone might have a better view on this subject.

The fact is, for a town of little more than 120,000, there is a lot of very interesting history when it comes to Preston, far too much to do any level of justice here. Suffice to say it has a lot to offer any day tripper and I would highly recommend a day out in the town and the beautiful surrounding countryside.

As for today's match? Perhaps the unveiling of one or more players before the match might just enable us to swallow a disappointing result. Personally I think neither will happen. Let us be clear here; Preston may very well be 10 or so points ahead of us, which in itself is hard to swallow or believe, but if we cannot win today I do genuinely fear for our season's ending. That is perhaps the first time I have said that although I stand to be corrected. Will Preston have their new signing on display?

It is a sell out at the Gate I hear so lets roar the lads on to a precious and long, long awaited victory. 2-0 I believe. I have to be optimistic about today otherwise, frankly, what is the point? Well done to all those going, hope the rain keeps off and enjoy the game and the pre- match announcement !!.. if only, we can but hope. UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 3

I came back for 5 matches at the back end of last season including Bradford, obviously, and Preston; a thoroughly enjoyable 1-1 draw with a couple of sleevers in the Labour Club outside the ground courtesy of a special invite.. salt of the earth and all that. Great bunch of people but we simply must put them to the sword today.

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Advice for City fans going this evening. 

Wear yer big coat; gone proper nippy out it has. 

(Appreciate this advice will be lost on the yoof who like to display the fact they have a three hundred quid jumper).

Anyone turning up and finding the weather unexpectedly "parky" could always plaster themselves in Northern Soul or Willem II stickers - excellent at heat retention I hear. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

BC 0 - Preston 1 (Robinson)

Unfortunately that's the most likely outcome. However, with Boro at home on Saturday, this is a game we must pick up three points in. Hopefully, will see us out of the relegation zone and secondly give us some confidence going into Saturday's game 

I shall miss both the game and the OTIB meltdown because today is my official 70th birthday and I shall be having a posh nosh and a bevvy :drunk2: in darkest Cornwall - St Ives to be precise. Horace will be following via the BBC sports alerts but is not allowed to tweet back in my absence since the unfortunate Slug & Lettuce incident :( 

However, COME ON YOU REDS :city: 

Hopefully, my absence will win us three points but remember, guys, the game goes on until the opposition scores, so let's be two up at the start of added time. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Bristol City's Jonathan Kodjia has been directly involved in a higher share of his team's goals than any other Championship player this season (50%). Interesting fact from the bbc preview

Shame is we score so few; the lad has ten, but including cup goals I think we've only got about 26 in total, haven't we?

Seriously need more firepower.

7 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

I shall miss both the game and the OTIB meltdown because today is my official 70th birthday and I shall be having a posh nosh and a bevvy :drunk2: in darkest Cornwall - St Ives to be precise. Horace will be following via the BBC sports alerts but is not allowed to tweet back in my absence since the unfortunate Slug & Lettuce incident :( 

However, COME ON YOU REDS :city: 

Hopefully, my absence will win us three points but remember, guys, the game goes on until the opposition scores, so let's be two up at the start of added time. 

Happy Birthday, when was the unofficial 70th birthday?

3 points for Oskar, and a birthday win for you... the omens are looking good today!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!