IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day Thread

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Are you ill? Ayling is the start of anything creative we've done. He's proper class. 

What a strange comment, I am very well (thanks for asking) and was just posting my thoughts after a dreadful first half

Thought I would comment on 2 of the forum favourites, makes a change from Pack and Freeman

Slight improvement 2nd half but not enough to deserve a win, a draw would have been a fair result

Not read through all the pages so some of this may have already been said but..... 

Tactics tonight seemed confusing to me (assuming they were the tactics). When we tried to break down our right the ball was generally put over the top for little to try and get to but with Bryan it was always like he wanted it to feet until we had to chase the game. I can only assume it was tactics as it didn't really change at ht so coaches must have been happy with it. It clearly didn't work for Bryan tho and for majority of the game nullified any threat from him. He just looked lost tonight. 

What really disappointed me was when Preston went one up, I looked around at all the players and the only one trying to gee anyone up was the keeper! Everyone else just walked back to their positions with their heads down. Ffs players need to start taking responsibility and show a bit more fight and passion than that. City right now need players who are willing to either give out a rollocking when needed or encourage others when things are tough. Not one outfield player was doing that. 

Freeman was nonexistent tonight, Bryan couldn't/wouldn't get involved until we were chasing the game, defensively we seemed to panic when the ball came up to their strikers, lots of 'hoofs' and sliced clearances, Wilbs just looks spent despite a lot of running about.

I don't buy this from cotts that he can't rest players due to squad size. A few weeks ago we had 4 strikers to choose from, then he could have changed and rested. We do have options in MF, maybe theyaren't good enough but we'll never know unless they get proper game time and it's not as if our regular midfield are pulling up trees. Maybe, just maybe, the best 4 midfielders at the club don't make the best midfield. 

There's no loyalty in football; if a manager wants rid of a player they'll try and do it so why should managers deserve more loyalty than players? Something has to change, be it luck, players or manager but unless at least 1 of those changes, we are screwed imo!

• Like 1

It's very difficult to see anything other than relegation after tonight's game. We didn't deserve to lose (despite the appalling first half display) but we didn't deserve to win either and we leaked two more goals. A depressing pattern this season. We just have to hope that Bolton, MK and Charlton continue to struggle so that we are within touching distance of safety.

At least we've got an easy game on Saturday...

34 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

Not read through all the pages so some of this may have already been said but..... 

Tactics tonight seemed confusing to me (assuming they were the tactics). When we tried to break down our right the ball was generally put over the top for little to try and get to but with Bryan it was always like he wanted it to feet until we had to chase the game. I can only assume it was tactics as it didn't really change at ht so coaches must have been happy with it. It clearly didn't work for Bryan tho and for majority of the game nullified any threat from him. He just looked lost tonight. 

What really disappointed me was when Preston went one up, I looked around at all the players and the only one trying to gee anyone up was the keeper! Everyone else just walked back to their positions with their heads down. Ffs players need to start taking responsibility and show a bit more fight and passion than that. City right now need players who are willing to either give out a rollocking when needed or encourage others when things are tough. Not one outfield player was doing that. 

Freeman was nonexistent tonight, Bryan couldn't/wouldn't get involved until we were chasing the game, defensively we seemed to panic when the ball came up to their strikers, lots of 'hoofs' and sliced clearances, Wilbs just looks spent despite a lot of running about.

I don't buy this from cotts that he can't rest players due to squad size. A few weeks ago we had 4 strikers to choose from, then he could have changed and rested. We do have options in MF, maybe theyaren't good enough but we'll never know unless they get proper game time and it's not as if our regular midfield are pulling up trees. Maybe, just maybe, the best 4 midfielders at the club don't make the best midfield. 

There's no loyalty in football; if a manager wants rid of a player they'll try and do it so why should managers deserve more loyalty than players? Something has to change, be it luck, players or manager but unless at least 1 of those changes, we are screwed imo!

Been happening every time we concede since September and I've pointed this out several times but been shouted down

This side lacks character or characters and a leader or preferably leaders

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Cotts interview: away from the blaming the ref and their keeper having a blinder he said a couple of interesting things.

Argued that he wasn't able to rest players - not got the players to do that. And the same players will all have to play again over the next few weeks. The players gave everything they had - left it on the pitch at West Brom.

Not having signings has been a concern since May, we're trying to do a season's worth of recruiting in this window "it's nigh on impossible".

He didn't give me any sense that anything will change. I'm not sure it's his fault….but there's nothing to suggest things will improve. 

What a shambles. Fiasco.

If that's the case he should have forfeited the FA Cup game and given some U21s a run out and made it public. I'd have forgiven him. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't care if we're in the middle of the transfer window; I would be on the phone to Neil Warnock tonight. He is one of the few people I can think of who has the strength of character to attract the players we require, and give the whole club the kick up the backside we so desperately need.

I said the same thing on Radio Bristol after the game. Warnock would be a great interim appointment who could attract the right players to see us to Championship safety, enabling the Board to sell our status, and a bigger transfer and wages budget to a capable long term replacement.

• Like 4

Our set pieces and delivery from wide areas are very poor, especially when Freeman came off. Reid and Bryan's corners were simply awful and Preston took advantage of theirs - corners and free kicks win games as we saw last season! 

I didn't rate him massively but we missed Bennett's final ball from wide today. For all his running and directness, Little just doesn't have the vision or quality to cross the ball accurately and threateningly as often.

2 hours ago, Tauntonian said:

hahaha is that right? FK OFF WILL HE. Thats why everytime a decent player is involved, they go to other clubs due to them offering higher wages....................................................... for example BENNETT

I don't think it even got as far as wages with Bennett. He played under Lambert at Norwich and apparently loves his managerial style:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14196944.Elliott_Bennett__Once_Paul_Lambert_came_calling_Blackburn_Rovers_were_only_club_for_me/

We matched Blackburn's offer but he wanted to play for Lambert. It can be that simple...

6 hours ago, pigeon said:

Anyone else listening to the radio? Sounds pretty clear that Louis Carey isn't on the same page as Cotts at all.

Just completely agreed with a fan that called up saying that the system is entirely wrong and then just slated Cotts policy with youth saying that although he isn't a manager he doesn't agree with '10 minutes hear and there' and that after seeing the youth in our club that they are definitely good enough for a shot.

Carey for manager! (joking, calm down)

You and Carey may be right but my highlighted remark of yours is sobering; if that is all we have, 'a shot' , at this stage of the proceedings it does not bode well; we have 2 weeks to get players in.

6 hours ago, samo II said:

It is the most brutal of ironies that a player deemed surplus sunk us tonight; Cunningham was one of the few who played well for us in the Championship before our last relegation, and another player we never (and still haven't) replaced.

Tremendously upsetting; I don't think we can expect anything against Boro (though as one of the few we've beaten, I guess anything can happen...), and it is actually quite difficult to identify where our next win will come from TBH.

Not a good night, and a further reminder that our results second half of the season are not indicating our young players are doing as SC hoped and spoke about in settling in; the Burnley result showed that, and having lost twice to Reading also, now we've gone from drawing away to Preston to losing at home to them.

Very, very worrying.

Cunningham and JET were not Cotts purchases. I think it is as simple as that; The sale of both was bizarre to say the least.

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I said the same thing on Radio Bristol after the game. Warnock would be a great interim appointment who could attract the right players to see us to Championship safety, enabling the Board to sell our status, and a bigger transfer and wages budget to a capable long term replacement.

With 2 weeks left of the window? I assume there are loans after that but frankly I am for sticking if only because twisting is more risky. Were a change to have been made it should have been done in early December at the latest. Now we have no choice but to give Cotts as much support as we possibly can, fans, board et al and fight to try and stay in this division. I hope he succeeds because I dislike changing managers in the frequency we have been doing in recent years.

Just in case though, SL had better be prepared for League 1 football.

First and foremost Im not posting on here after the match to gloat ( not/never been my style ) would have posted regardless of the result as had been looking forward to the visit to Ashton Gate and to catch up with friends on the way down

Thought the first half was as bad as Ive seen us this season - yes we set up to frustrate ( and to a degree its worked this season ) but the 3 5 2 left Johnson and Gallagher way too deep and we surrended possession way to easily , creating nothing at all as an attacking force although other than a few fizzed balls across the box and some uncertainly between our keeper and our centre half didn't think you looked dangerous either , 0-0 was ok for us at half time but had a moan to my old man that it was pretty turgid and could be a long drive home , but after seeing Oskar the result was important but not the most important part of the night , second half we clearly changed our shape and came more into the game and slightly against the run of play went 1-0 up with the OG , unusual for us to concede quickly to what looked like a sloppy goal from our perspective but did expect us to go 2-1 up when Johnson was one on one after a howler by Ayling I think it was in midfield , would have taken 1-1 in honesty and Greg took his goal superbly and from where we were sat clearly wanted to get a message across to SC , thought City had run out of steam in honesty but the last 5 plus injury you threw the kitchen sink at us hitting the post , two superb saves and some last ditched defending gave us IMO an undeserved three points , 2-2 would have been fair but did make the journey home which was miserable due to the weather all the better 

Thought Smith was your best player , Kodja frustrating but dangerous and being brutally honest two poor sides but we perhaps have a little more ' street wise ' tactics to see games out ...timewasting/defensive strength / squad size etc but your caused us problems down both flanks - Cunningham I think had his worst game in a Preston shirt and Woods the other full back had a horrid night , said it before the game and will say it again cannot see that side ( squad size when I read the programme was shocked as to the lack of players ) going down Ive seen far worse and on that performance there is not 13 points between the two sides 

All the very best for the rest of the season , thought your stewards , staff and fans where a pleasure as always and I really hope we see each other again next season in the Championship

Mortis 

• Like 2