IGNORED

Why Cotterill was sacked

The Exiled Robin

Having given myself a day or so to get over the initial surprise and reaction, I examine the reasons I believe were behind this weeks events.

There are clearly many conflicting views on this, so I'm sure this will prove a hot topic - but it's good to talk so let me know your views!

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/why-cotterill-was-sacked.html

Thanks all for reading

Agree with most of that. Another point about his lack of game changing substitutions. Home to QPR, 1 down and he brings Joe Bryan for Williams. An obvious change that the game was crying out for because Joe is capable of creating chances and Williams wasn't doing too much. The change was a bit earlier than his usual substitutions and when Joe crossed for Wilbraham to score and rescue us a point,  i thought to myself,  fair play cotts, you've finally made a game changing decision. Perhaps he has got it in him. Then I got home to read that Williams had taken a knock so the substitution was a forced one rather than a tactical one. Had it not been for Williams injury, he wouldn't have made the change and the game would have most likely ended 1-0 to QPR. 

6 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Having given myself a day or so to get over the initial surprise and reaction, I examine the reasons I believe were behind this weeks events.

There are clearly many conflicting views on this, so I'm sure this will prove a hot topic - but it's good to talk so let me know your views!

Thanks all for reading

Thanks....very good 'summing up..only thing I could really disagree with would be leaving the team with Elliot/Pemberton for the duration..doubts there my friend.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

Thanks....very good 'summing up..only thing I could really disagree with would be leaving the team with Elliot/Pemberton for the duration..doubts there my friend.

Probably agree with this too -- v often slip into the easy option -- and if they do reasonably well it could blind the directors of the need to recruit a really top class manager to take us to the next level -- though no one can guarantee this whoever is chosen!!

40 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Really good read. Incidentally the point about the youth players and u-21s is why I hope we don't - and don't believe we will - Neil Warnock.

I'm pretty sure that the season we beat Palace in the playoffs, Colin was brought in to replace Peter Taylor (he of England U-21 fame) after they were struggling. His success was largely attributed to his faith in the Palace youth system as he pushed through several young players into the first XI, as they charged up the table and ended in the playoffs.

This was a long time ago, of course and I'm not saying he definitely would adopt a similar approach if he were to be appointed here, but there is evidence to suggest he doesn't mind playing youngsters.

Thanks for the read. Like Cotts, probably he is stubborn and have no plan B. What you wrote about Einstein is interesting. Here in Sweden we have taked about the same thing. Lose lose and Another lose. Not changing the start eleven ot the tactics, Think it was his fall. When I saw the first interview with Cotts I felt he had karisma and he was the right man to lead us. The history tells he was the one. Last season like a Dream. Was att Coventry away, one of my best memories. Sorry that not Cotteril could develop his managing. We scored for fun last season. This season bettet teams we play against. Safety first in my opinion. How ever, fan of Cotteril, Think its time to go on with Another manager. Really hope that we can avoid relegation, at the moment dont look so good but its a long way to may and we still got the chanse. Always Believe.

Good read Exiled and a well thought out summary.

I agree that we should be using the academy more and brining young players through better have we have. Unfortunately our recent manager appointments have all been made against a background of replacing a failing manager when the priority is to stave off relegation. As such, the incoming manager is unlikely to prioritise brining in relatively untried youngsters, as their instinct will be to go for experienced, tried and trusted players.

SC's appointment turned out to be a pleasant surprise, if only because the outcome confounded much of the general opinion of him at the time he was appointed. However, like you my feeling is that his undoing was his inflexible attitude towards formation and player selection. While 3-5-2 worked so well in league 1, it quickly became clear that up against better players and better organised teams in the championship sticking to 3-52 would expose our limitations. Similarly I could never fathom why he stubbornly refused to make changes earlier in games, especially when we constantly demonstrated our ability to throw game away at the death - our current predicament is as much a result of our inability to manage the last 15 minutes of a game as it is the transfer activity last summer.

We are up against it just now and I am sure that many fans will be clamouring for a "big" or established name to get us out of trouble. However such an appointment will likely see us repeating the same old vicious circle - bring in old heads to get us out of trouble, allied to using the experienced players in the squad. We then risk our younger player still not getting a look in. Perhaps we need to take a leap of faith and go for a much younger manager with a more progressive outlook, but would such a relatively untried manager ( untried at this level) be acceptable to City fans, who over recent seasons appear to have little patience and want everything achieved tommorrow?

Nicely summed up and pretty fair. I would add that the number of late goals conceded looked to me like another problem due to the lack of subs/ squad rotation. I don't have a problem if we go with the temps, if things improve. There is no magical formula for a manager to succeed, just right man at right club at right time. We once had a manager who has an amazing CV, and he was just about the worst I can remember.

7 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Thanks all for reading

Great read, surely a seat on the board is next.

Very good article, which should be read by all City fans.  My only disagreement is the suggestion of Pemberton/Elliott for the rest of the season - don't believe that is the way forward - and why thank Cotterill for Flint, wasn't it O'Driscoll who brought him in?  But in general I think you've pretty much nailed the issue.

A very good read, keep it up sir!

I see your point about keeping Pembo & Elliott short term as they know the squad and what's missing, but feel no players would want to join us with no 'solid' manager in place so probably best to give us till next Saturday to get new manager - he can then assess squad over few days and get the business done in last few days, when most of the business is done anyway as the 'Transfer Domino' effect begins 

Good read, but bit if a discrepancy between saying give academy players a chance and that players from lower divisions will not make the move up. Plenty of players have done. It comes down to the type of player, Dele Ali certainly did and more. I really think Freemans game is not suited to this division. It was good for div 1 and may well work in a higher league too. I remember Clive whitehead, one of the best (if not the best) winger for city. I never rated him in the second tier. As soon as we went up, he came alive and played far better. 

Archived