IGNORED

Mark Ashton

Malago

I personally think this is a step in the right direction.

Apparently he was the one that put steps in place for our good transfer policy in the summer of 2014.

That worked out well didn't it....worked as a consultant....then left...and our transfers went downhill after that.

Plus he's been brought in to be a direct link between the next head coach and board and owner.

It's good to hear the Club now have a strategy to put in place people who are experts in their field.

I've banged on for ages that we haven't had this in place in the past.

The fact the guy knows how to put in place player recruitment and talent identification systems, is a good thing imho.

It will be interesting to see what happens with KB...as he was the man also responsible for player recruitment and being the link between board and head coach/manager.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Apparently he was the one that put steps in place for our good transfer policy in the summer of 2014.

That worked out well didn't it....worked as a consultant....then left...and our transfers went downhill after that.

Plus he's been brought in to be a direct link between the next head coach and board and owner.

It's good to hear the Club now have a strategy to put in place people who are experts in their field.

The fact the guy knows how to put in place player recruitment and talent identification systems, is a good thing imho.

It will be interesting to see what happens with KB...as he was the man also responsible for player recruitment and being the link between board and head coach/manager.

totally agree spudski a step in the right direction and a link to the fans via the boardroom at long last !!!

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

It'll either go very well or very badly. The timing of the appointment is not coincidental, so expect things to be done Ashton's way.

10 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It'll either go very well or very badly. The timing of the appointment is not coincidental, so expect things to be done Ashton's way.

I think you are right...I maybe barking up the wrong tree...but I get the impression SC wanted total control over transfer identification and hence MA not being involved this past season. SC goes and we bring MA back in a full time capacity. You can see the reasoning.

I guess it depends on who the head coach is we bring in and whether they will work well together.

Head coach goes to MA 'we need such and such'...he finds players...KB and team of scouts watch them? Maybe....

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

Do you know what? I pretty much agree with this, the proof for me will be firmly in the phrase in his interview "you'd be surprised who is interested in the job", I truly hope that this is not just a smokescreen for an Appleton appointment. We deserve better this time IMO.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think you are right...I maybe barking up the wrong tree...but I get the impression SC wanted total control over transfer identification and hence MA not being involved this past season. SC goes and we bring MA back in a full time capacity. You can see the reasoning.

Or perhaps they told Cotts that this guy was coming back in and Cotts said he couldn't work with him?

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Ultimately agree - good sign if he had some role to play in that summer's recruitment.

However, pretty sure that he had actually left before that summer... So while he may have had some/a lot of input to the system which was then successful, something went wrong with the system subsequently.

He wasn't actually here either for the successful application of it, or the unsuccessful.

Hopefully, him being back will mean he can fix whatever went wrong, or remind people of the right way, or reinstate it if someone else changed it... But someone else certainly implemented it at the time it worked, so his absence isn't necessarily the only reason it didn't continue to work.

So......another "suit" taken on at City. Like so many other "suits" I have hardly any knowledge of what roles they actually fill. 

Listening to Ashton being interviewed on Player he seemed to be taken on to do the same job as Keith Burt. 

Can anyone explain what the different responsibilities between the two actually are.?

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So......another "suit" taken on at City. Like so many other "suits" I have hardly any knowledge of what roles they actually fill. 

Listening to Ashton being interviewed on Player he seemed to be taken on to do the same job as Keith Burt. 

Can anyone explain what the different responsibilities between the two actually are.?

Good question. I am just happy we have a suit who knows what they are doing!!!

23 hours ago, spudski said:

That worked out well didn't it....

We need to strenghten the team, but time is not on our side, and the absence of a manager doesn't help, so...Ashton's previous experience at AG could prove to be useful. :fingerscrossed:

22 hours ago, phantom said:

Perhaps those excited about the appointment should research his history! 

Got a good friend who's a Watford ST holder. He described Ashton as a complete nightmare and a universally unpopular schmoozer. He sounds like he's the equivalent of Pulis is to us and probably little more than an enforcer of bean counter economics. 

Interesting times ahead! 

So when they say Mr Ashton  , please come to the south stand on the tannoy system it will be true . 

He's also on the radio with Geoff Twentyman new talk show, tomorrow from 5 to 6 each day. City are on Mondays . Bristol and Bath Rugby Tuesdays . Other sports Wednesdays . Gas Thursdays and on Fridays a look to the weekend sport. 

2 hours ago, Rich_s said:

Got a good friend who's a Watford ST holder. He described Ashton as a complete nightmare and a universally unpopular schmoozer. He sounds like he's the equivalent of Pulis is to us and probably little more than an enforcer of bean counter economics. 

Interesting times ahead! 

Had lunch with my Watford supporting Father in law today, he said exactly the same thing.....

All this talk does make me laugh. Unless the Watford fans in question knew him personally or worked behind the scenes they would know nothing but hearsay and rumours. The same thats constantly on here.

A bloke in the rising sun said to me yesterday. " That Ashton bloke,  when he comes in he's picking what  players we sign. 

I asked how he knew that was true and he said. " well no one told us that but that's what we think. 

So he's spreading a rumour he made up himself :facepalm: 

That's where a lot of the bull  shit comes from , people like that.

Archived