IGNORED

Mark Ashton

Malago

6 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Can someone enlighten me to how this chap is going to play such a vital role? I do not doubt that he will but I'm struggling to understand what he does? 

Burt finds the players I'm sure we all agree on. Then what? This Ashton butters up the player and agent to get them to sign?

Pretty much it in a nutshell I think. At the end of the process, SL pops in and signs the cheque and the job`s a good `un.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I was linking Ashton to Pearson.  My research ain't that bad! :blink:

Ohhhhh sorry:facepalm: Yes he would've been haha. I wonder whether Pearson would like having someone like Ashton. I doubt we'll get Pearson if we're after a young head coach type. I'm gonna guess we get a Southgate type person. Maybe even Southgate himself. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Are we assuming Stockhausen is ITK.  Nothing against the bloke, but I think the press would be the last people we would give any insight to in fear of us not getting the man we want.

Monk?

Stockhausen is actually ITKT (In The Knights Templar!)

Mr Ashton has previously worked with Appleton and Pearson. As I said in another thread I believe it's probably being battled out with whether we want a Head Coach or Manager. 

But that maybe last weeks news. Lets see if anymore names crop up other than these two.

David Dein had an epiphany whilst playing Charades with the young Monaco manager, Arsene Wegner ("Arsene for Arsenal, it's destiny") one evening and appointed Wegner on the basis of this. Clearly, things at AG have been a bit of a "charade" for a while now, and bringing in Ashton can only mean one thing: Mark Robins.

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

Mr Ashton has previously worked with Appleton and Pearson. As I said in another thread I believe it's probably being battled out with whether we want a Head Coach or Manager. 

But that maybe last weeks news. Lets see if anymore names crop up other than these two.

And I think this is at the heart of the apparent conflicts in the club.

Before I put the following scenario before you, I should say I am far from being ITK, have hardly ever spoken to anyone in and around the club in my 50 years of supporting so this is all supposition, but this is how I see have occurred and what might have happened.

----------------------------------------------------

1. The 5 pillars was put in place due to the lack of a cohesive long term plan (LTP), Mark Ashton was tasked with assisting/designing this and it was seen as the future of the club.

2 In the short term both DMC and SOD, struggled to produce results, which to a certain extent is understandable because LTP's don't always produce short term improvements, in fact in most businesses they cause a lot of disruption.  

3 Our position was so dire and potentially damaging to the LTP that the club ripped it up in panic and brought in Cotts to troubleshoot the first team in the short term. The success that he had was far greater than anyone could have predicted to the point that Cotts was "the man" and calling all the shots. (an example might be that the U21's were playing 3-5-2 and judging by Saturday this was imposed on Pemberton and Elliot rather than being their preference).
In some ways Cotts was too successful for the club, because they wanted to return to the LTP, elements of which were being dismantled or ignored by the Manager. In the summer they tried to reintroduce some of these elements such as control of transfers which Cotts dug his heels in over and we ended up with a mess of a transfer window because of people pulling in different directions.

4 Because of his great success the club wanted to give Cotts some time to see if he could reproduce it in this division, but they were always looking for a way of getting back to the LTP if they could. Results and eventually performances, coupled with obstinancy over using the signings that had been made eventually gave them the excuse to pull the trigger.

5 The almost immediate recall of Mark Ashton shows that they want to reinstate the LTP as quickly as possible and as you say M, the main question they will be asking candidates is, Can you work within this framework?

Like I said, this is my own personal reading of the situation nothing more.

Well Port Said, for someone not in the know, I'd say you have made a very educated guess. I don't think you are very far from the truth at all.

The trouble is I think the board want their manager like they wanted the big players this summer. A proven name to raise the profile to attract better players and spend money wisely. Only they want to be able to tell him what to do, give him a tight budget and work a League one set up to get to the a premiership. It can't be both can it. 

And by the way I am believing the 3-5-2 was being insisted on by Cotterill at a much, much younger level than the u21's. He had pretty much full control on anything and everything

What happened at Watford exactly? Seen a lot of lovely comments from their fans about him on twitter over the weekend....anyone got a one liner on it?

Have to say, from the interview he does appear to be a very confident bloke, another marmite I suspect.....

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And I think this is at the heart of the apparent conflicts in the club.

Before I put the following scenario before you, I should say I am far from being ITK, have hardly ever spoken to anyone in and around the club in my 50 years of supporting so this is all supposition, but this is how I see have occurred and what might have happened.

----------------------------------------------------

1. The 5 pillars was put in place due to the lack of a cohesive long term plan (LTP), Mark Ashton was tasked with assisting/designing this and it was seen as the future of the club.

2 In the short term both DMC and SOD, struggled to produce results, which to a certain extent is understandable because LTP's don't always produce short term improvements, in fact in most businesses they cause a lot of disruption.  

3 Our position was so dire and potentially damaging to the LTP that the club ripped it up in panic and brought in Cotts to troubleshoot the first team in the short term. The success that he had was far greater than anyone could have predicted to the point that Cotts was "the man" and calling all the shots. (an example might be that the U21's were playing 3-5-2 and judging by Saturday this was imposed on Pemberton and Elliot rather than being their preference).
In some ways Cotts was too successful for the club, because they wanted to return to the LTP, elements of which were being dismantled or ignored by the Manager. In the summer they tried to reintroduce some of these elements such as control of transfers which Cotts dug his heels in over and we ended up with a mess of a transfer window because of people pulling in different directions.

4 Because of his great success the club wanted to give Cotts some time to see if he could reproduce it in this division, but they were always looking for a way of getting back to the LTP if they could. Results and eventually performances, coupled with obstinancy over using the signings that had been made eventually gave them the excuse to pull the trigger.

5 The almost immediate recall of Mark Ashton shows that they want to reinstate the LTP as quickly as possible and as you say M, the main question they will be asking candidates is, Can you work within this framework?

Like I said, this is my own personal reading of the situation nothing more.

All very feasible. Could be totally right/wrong or somewhere in between.

English clubs are slowly coming round to head coach thinking, yet Wenger is one who fits the old style manager better than most. Head Coach with less involvement in player recruitment is IMO, the way forward. Thus the rest of the club has continuity even when first team coach/manager changes.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

All very feasible. Could be totally right/wrong or somewhere in between.

English clubs are slowly coming round to head coach thinking, yet Wenger is one who fits the old style manager better than most. Head Coach with less involvement in player recruitment is IMO, the way forward. Thus the rest of the club has continuity even when first team coach/manager changes.

Ummmm yeah! :) :whistle:

Haven't the club talked of a new Head Coach rather than a manager ?

I still believe the problem was giving into SC over his insistence on being the manager but keeping in place the infra structure for a Head Coach; in particular a conflict between the role of manager and Director of Football.  In other words I agree with Port Said Red's analysis

I've got a big issue with having a "suit" recruiting players for our manager. What if the manager doesn't rate that player, or has a personality clash with him, or he doesn't fit in with the style he wants to play. At the end of the day, the manager will be the one who gets the sack if it goes wrong, not the smarmy**** in the suit!

12 minutes ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

I've got a big issue with having a "suit" recruiting players for our manager. What if the manager doesn't rate that player, or has a personality clash with him, or he doesn't fit in with the style he wants to play. At the end of the day, the manager will be the one who gets the sack if it goes wrong, not the smarmy**** in the suit!

He's not recruiting players he said that himself

18 minutes ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

That is why when you interview perspective managers , they have to fully understand and agree to work within  the parameters of the club. As long as they know what they're role is, there should not be a problem. I think perhaps under SC, there were to many grey areas.

37 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

That is why when you interview perspective managers , they have to fully understand and agree to work within  the parameters of the club. As long as they know what they're role is, there should not be a problem. I think perhaps under SC, there were to many grey areas.

That's fine, but most managers want to pick the players that are going to play for them, otherwise the manager is giving up a big percentage of what actually makes him a "manager". Also, if we are just looking for a head coach that has to work under these parameters, surely we are limiting our options of prospective managers.

1 minute ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

That's fine, but most managers want to pick the players that are going to play for them, otherwise the manager is giving up a big percentage of what actually makes him a "manager". Also, if we are just looking for a head coach that has to work under these parameters, surely we are limiting our options of prospective managers.

HE WILL HAVE A SAY ON TRANSFERS, HOW MANY MORE TIMES

Archived