IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v West Bromwich Albion Match Day Thread.

3 minutes ago, Red Wardy Returns said:

I don't know what Wilbraham offers, I really do not. Is it just me? It isn't all his own fault, the Bloke is 36 for christ's sake.

The service to him was appalling all night, the one time Burns whipped in a cross, he got on the end of it.

But SC didn't substitute him again, what's going on?.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung
  • Like 4

Was a bit of a toothless performance, but by no means bad; we certainly lacked a cutting edge, but played good football (or tried to) and sometimes were guilty of trying to do that a little too much, in all honesty.

Final ball often poor, but Freeman didn't look 100% fit, and you could see we lacked the energy of Smith (which in a weird way has me pleased he was rested for the weekend).  But all together, that was a decent strength Premier League team, and we kept going against them well with a weakened side.

One negative is that I'm sad to say, but I really feel Wilbraham is coming to the end of his usefulness.  He was frequently left behind by the play, and clearly did not have the energy to go and force errors, or often even make up the ground on defenders to close them down.  In a system with the mobility of Burns and Reid and even Wagstaff (who looked understandably rusty), then you can't have a player who simply is left behind by the play as soon as the ball isn't within a yard of them, and even then doesn't win it.  Kodjia may not have had much to feed off at the end there, but he was immediately closing own and harrying the WBA backline, where as Wilbs didn't do that all game and his touch isn't consistent enough for him to be as static as he is.

But am pleased that we seem tactically flexible (looked quite adventurous at 442, if they were sitting back) and think the new players will help us with that.

Not nice to lose, but we did well with a young team of several who've hardly started this year or recently.

Edited by samo II
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Reid very good, I thought at least! Some naff deliveries but going forward with the ball he is brilliant, tried to get the ball moving quickly and has good vision.

I can't fathom how anyone could have watched that game and thought Reid was 'very good'. 

Take out that one good pass to Burns (and credit where it's due - it was lovely) and he was simply awful, by far and away the worst player on the pitch! And for gods sake someone stop him taking corners! 

Agree on Little - his game has really gone downhill. One trick pony and I think he's even forgotten that one particular trick...

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Not so upset about the result but the performance doesn't sound so good (was not watching). I was hoping that we would have given it a good plucky go so that confidence from Saturday would build.

And that is exactly what we did. First twenty we were by far the better side. Could and maybe should have gone a goal up. 

We were not great, no good pretending we are. However, against the team top of this league, and a very average premier side we have drawn 1-1 overall, with far from our first team tonight.

12 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Freeman was very poor, can't make a decent pass and lost the ball on many occasions.

Reid very good, I thought at least! Some naff deliveries but going forward with the ball he is brilliant, tried to get the ball moving quickly and has good vision.

Pack, amazing in the air, won lots, couldn't fault him.

Random person I will criticise is Little, guy is like a cat in headlights, and won almost nothing in the air, failed to recieve a simple pass on several occasions.

Freeman was indeed very poor.he is actually really starting to get on my fxxxxxx nerves.

14 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

WBA/Pulis taught us a lesson tonight about denying space, getting close to the player you are marking, harrying in midfield.

I don't think Bobby Reid is strong enough for this level and Williams is not a full back.

But hey we weren't disgraced.

Bobby Reid has had his first two full games in months within 72 hours, he has played the league leaders and a Premiership side. He looked tired tonight understandably but I wouldn't write him off. If Burns had put the chance he created away, we might be having a different discussion.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The important thing, hopefully kept Freeman available for Saturday after his injury, gave Wagstaff a run out and please get Bradley Wiggins on his bike to sign, I like Williams but he ain't a full back and kept Kodjia fresh, the subs were correct IMO, good management for the important game of the week.

If Freeman starts instead of gladwin on Saturday I will be shocked. I think u meant korey....

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So terrible that an established premier league side created the same number of clear chances as we did?

A team thirty-something places above us, when we had several first team players out, a 19 year old debutant in goal, a first start of the season in Wagstaff, and our only defensive midfielder out of the game. 

Yes they didn't need to get out of first gear, but to suggest they slaughtered us is simply not true.

At the end of the day they were the better side, as they should have been. No complaints on the effort front here, they're simply a better team! Think it might have been a different proposition with Korey, Bryan and Kodjia starting. 

Slaughtered no ?

Sloppy passing - yes

unable to produce any form of pressure - yes

as I said, they did a job on us and made us look rubbish - even the commentators were bored of watching it. 

Don't think we really got going. Two good games in a row have been hard to achieve recently. AG sounded very quiet in the second half on TV which wasn't surprising given our lack of chances.

I thought Reid showed why SC wouldn't pick him - too easily knocked off the ball. Wilbs wasn't in the game. Neither of our FBs were good enough and Waggy showed his lack of sharpness.

Pack, Burns and Flint played well and young Max did nothing wrong.

Hope we were saving ourselves for Leeds.

Other than their goal i don't think they had a shot on target. Considering we dropped players, were playing different formation and were playing off the back of a hard fought victory against our league leaders I thought we did pretty well. 

It also showed that had Cotts maybe utilised what he had a little more we would probably have a few more points now. Burns and Reid are easily up to being in this squad as is Little and Wagstaff who plays literally anywhere and gives his all. Yes there are better players out there but at least what we have do not look out of place. 

We've got a long way to go but these last two games have eased my nerves a bit.

A good effort but must remember poor league position dictates changes.

Bobby Reid too lightweight at this level, Burns shows glimpses but so so raw and could do with a loan move out...not knocking him at all but just feel some experience st league 1 would be beneficial for him 

good to see wagstaff get a run out but clearly no long term future here.

The only draw back of this new formation is that we create little, but certainly seems more stable at the back....and as my old colleague told me (studied football statistics for his dissertation)....it's not goals scored that keeps you in divisions, it's goals conceded (or lack of) that makes all the difference

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Surprised people are disappointed we weren't as good as a top flight side whose squad costs more than our side and the rebuild put together.

We didn't disgrace ourselves and we now move on to the business of getting ourselves safe in the league.

I'm really disappointed that we just didn't give it a better go tonight. Agreed they have a more expensive and better squad on paper but I really think we've missed a trick tonight by just going through the motions. We had a really good chance to be in the 5th round had we won this and how often can we say that? I realise I'm in the minority though and completely agree that the league is infinitely more important and even out of the boys I go with I was the only one with this view on the way home. Just think we've missed a trick tonight. Flat horrible atmosphere as well. Just a carp night all round after Saturday.  Onwards!