IGNORED

Warnock on talksport

castle red

27 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree.  Appointing Pemberton would make the decision to sack Cotterill very questionable to say the least.  I foolishly allowed myself to believe that the timing of his departure meant a replacement was lined up; otherwise, I couldn't see the point of it.  Of course I failed to account for the decision making ability of our board.  Silly me.

I did too…unless they do have someone lined up but they haven't bothered to tell anyone.

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I agree that he has fond memories of playing against City as a top flight club 36 years ago, but as with everyone else outside of Bristol we are unfashionable and they don't see the point of investing in a club from a rugby city.

It has been so long since we were in the top flight that players of today weren't even born and see us as a League One outfit / Championship relegation fodder because we have been away from the big time for far too long, and managers see us as a bit of a poisoned chalice and a serial screw up.

Agreed, but if people think we are a rugby city, when 17 to 18 000 or so were watching conference and L1 football in this city last season, and more than 20k this, then they are pretty dim.

Still have no idea who you are, any clues: left foot, right foot? Midfield? Defence? Up top?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well playing 3-5-2 hardly worked for us and was shouted down by everybody so are you suggesting that 4-4-2 is outdated and won't work?

Not my point at all.  I'm saying that, a few years ago, a manager would play 4-4-2 and be up against a team playing 4-4-2.  Especially in the lower leagues.  Therefore ultimately there'd be two teams of symmetrical formations with, in the crudest sense, ten one-on-one battles all over the pitch(LB vs their RW, LCB vs their RS, RCB vs LS, RB vs LW, LW vs RB, LCM vs RCM, RCM vs LCM, RW vs LB, LS vs RCB and RS vs LCB),.  That meant a good grasp of tactics was less important than being a good motivator because ultimately each week your tactics and their tactics would be broadly the same.  Nowadays different teams play different formations and a manager needs to be tactically astute to know how to counter different challenges each week.  It's not necessarily about which formation your team plays but whether you can counter how the opposition plays.  

6 hours ago, cynic said:

The reason for a new manager is to keep us in this division.

If they are not confident of that, then they should not be considered.

Plus, we have a temporary manager, why have another one ?

Because the current one cannot get the players in the 'right mental state' against Leeds. I respect Pembo as a number two.. hope he does not burn his bridges and forsakes that by pushing or accepting the number 1 job... its how two good other number two's left the club.. not a third time please.

4 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

The fact that none of us or the bookies can think of a creditable candidate other than Pembo and Colin is really depressing isnt it?

So, if they didnt have an alternative lined up the board believed that Pembo was a better bet to keep us up than SC? Wow.

Said it before, and Red M says it well on this thread, I dont want Colin anywhere near my club, no reason involved just cant stand him.

If you were able to see into the future, which of the following options would you take? 

1. Pemberton appointed until the end of the season,  City get relegated 

2. Warnock appointed until the end of the season, City don't get relegated 

I just don't get this whole "don't want Warnock anywhere near this club" attitude when we're fighting for Championship survival. 

21 minutes ago, mookey said:

He also said in this mornings Talksport programme

"Some managers set up their team to attack and try and win a game and some managers set up their teams to defend and not to lose a game.  I am in the latter camp"

Is this really what we want?

If it keeps us in the Championship this season....Definately!

26 minutes ago, mookey said:

"Some managers set up their team to attack and try and win a game and some managers set up their teams to defend and not to lose a game.  I am in the latter camp"

no i want us to go down...
lets have warnock destroyed to be sure he never ever manages here

4 hours ago, mookey said:

No

5 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

If you were able to see into the future, which of the following options would you take? 

I just don't get this whole "don't want Warnock anywhere near this club" attitude when we're fighting for Championship survival. 

If you dont get it then you dont, hes an absolute nause and i'm not too sure hes all that anymore anyway, ten years ago maybe... hes 95 you know...

4 hours ago, mookey said:

Are you ex-news of the world by any chance Mookey?

He said no such thing about his own style/attitude. Warnock and Brazil were in fact discussing Brendan Rodgers reign at Liverpool. Warnock actually said -  "Some managers set up their team to attack and try and win a game and some managers set up their teams to defend and not to lose a game.  I PUT HIM in the latter camp"

Definitely speaking of Rodgers, not himself - so not a stick to beat him with, however much you seem to want to.

I'm sure that the interview is available on-line if you don't believe me.

46 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

If you dont get it then you dont, hes an absolute nause and i'm not too sure hes all that anymore anyway, ten years ago maybe... hes 95 you know...

Don't get me wrong, I agree he's a bit of a nause, but survival is so important that I don't care. 

So, which option would you take? 

7 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

The problem is it's a flawed premise.  It's based on an assumption that Warnock will get relegated with Pemberton and won't get relegated with Warnock but it selectively ignores some crucial and obvious points.

1. There is no guarantee we will get relegated with Pemberton.

2. There is no guarantee we will stay up with Warnock.

3. If we appointed Pemberton and got relegated, we would have no way of knowing if we would have stayed up with Warnock.

4 If we appointed Warnock and got relegated, we would have no way of knowing if we would have stayed up with Pemberton.

5. If we appointed Warnock and stayed up, we would have no way of knowing if we would have been relegated with Pemberton.

6, If we appointed Pembertpn and stayed up, we would have no way of knowing if we would have been relegated with Warnock.

7. There is no way to objectively judge in advance which manager we would stay up with and which manager we would go down wtih. Or whethewr we 'd actually stay up if we appointed either.  Or get relegated if we appointed either.  We simply don't know.

So what you're presenting as an obvious binary choice between two extremes is not an obvious binary choice at all.

Warnock has a great track record but has done nothing of any merit since 2011.  Appointing him would be trusting that his last season at QPR then his time at Leeds and his second spell at Crystal Palace were all blips and he's still capable of producing the magic that has eluded him in those roles.  Pemberton does not have the track record at senior level but knows the players and their personalties and has a strong record at youth level.

Both managers are risks.  Either could keep the club or could take the club down.  

For those reasons, it's incredibly annoying when someone pretends there's a simple choice when they know as well as the rest of us that any appointemtn is a gamble and there is no guarantee of who can keep us up or who can take us down.  Pretending to be certain manager x will keep us up or manager y will take us down is utter idiocy. 

Archived