IGNORED

Its not Kodjia's fault the Midfield don't score goals

Chairman Mao

Lets be blunt, Kodjia, while on a bad run, is not to blame for our lack of goals. He scored around 15 last season and this year in a struggling side is probably going to beat that, in his first season in a different country. Well done to him, no problems here.

I don't rate Wilbraham at all but he has 6 I think which is decent.

Now Smith, Pack, Freeman (our 3 Midfielders in the 5-3-2) have is it 1? Add the wing backs to that list (Bryan who has 1, Williams and Ayling might have 1 each too?) and it highlights that the lack of goals from midfield are the real problem. 

If we get Freeman, Bryan, Reid, Tomlin, Pack and Gladwin chipping in and getting two each from here on in thats 12 in itself and a massive difference.

Kodjia will be back in form soon, I just hope the guys behind him chip in this time around.

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Lets be blunt, Kodjia, while on a bad run, is not to blame for our lack of goals. He scored around 15 last season and this year in a struggling side is probably going to beat that, in his first season in a different country. Well done to him, no problems here.

I don't rate Wilbraham at all but he has 6 I think which is decent.

Now Smith, Pack, Freeman (our 3 Midfielders in the 5-3-2) have is it 1? Add the wing backs to that list (Bryan who has 1, Williams and Ayling might have 1 each too?) and it highlights that the lack of goals from midfield are the real problem. 

If we get Freeman, Bryan, Reid, Tomlin, Pack and Gladwin chipping in and getting two each from here on in thats 12 in itself and a massive difference.

Kodjia will be back in form soon, I just hope the guys behind him chip in this time around.

Completely agree and have been saying this for a while.  Freeman's goal return is an embarrassment for an attacking midfielder.  The new formation should produce more goal scoring opportunities but can we take them?  

"No problems there" with Kodjia is rather kind, he's far from perfect. The lack of goals from elsewhere in the team is more pressing as a concern though yes. Flint should have scored at Leeds, Agard should've scored on Saturday as should Wilbraham, and the rest of the team just aren't chipping in enough.

I actually blame the midfield for not getting Kodjia on the ball more. He's the only player that opens up defences and he makes counts runs that our midfield only use as a decoy, much to Kodjias evident annoyance. Just give him the damn ball!

Jonson Clarke-Harris  of Rotherham is the only striker playing for a bottom five side to match Wilbraham's goal tally, no-one else has got anywhere near Kodjia's 9 league goals. 

In contrast Freeman 1 Pack 0 Smith 0 Bryan 1 Reid 0, no other side in the division has such a goal shy midfield.

Let's hope Tomlin (& maybe Gladwin, too) can do something about this over the last third of the season.

Kodjia has done fantastically considering the circumstances. 

First season in a new league/language and 9 goals with minimal quality service. Yes he could have scored more from some chances he's had, but he also creates things himself from nothing. If he had a willing and able strike partner to help him out I think he could be potent.  

We can't continue to play him on his own up top. I have no problem with him spearheading an attack but he needs good service to feet to get the best from him. 

With Tomlin in the side, I hope we finally have someone who can spot Kodjias movement or at least spot the space in behind which he can exploit with his pace. I think I've seen about 3 through balls all season.

Give him the service, support and freedom to play his game, and he will score.

Kodjia looked a lot better with Tomlin on the pitch, if Tomlin plays in behind Kodjia I think they'll get goals. Let LT focus on longer shots and/or play JK in, let JK focus on his finishing.

As others have said though, midfield has provided almost no goals. That has to change ASAP 

As said above Kodjia is far to greedy. It's good to have a striker like that sometimes but the amount of chances we could of had if he chose to pass but he would rather take on another 2/3 players and lose it or shoot well wide. Watching him he reminds me of that really good kid in a team full of shit ones and he thinks, they can't do anything so might as well do it myself. I genuinely get this from him. Now Tomlin is here maybe he'll pass a bit more.... 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sincere apologies, but that is a ridiculous statement. Unless of course you've only popped in for half an hour since August...

37 minutes actually. And apology accepted.

I was of course exaggerating, but the fact is we haven't had the quality in the final third or the final ball to unlock defences like we could last season, when the opposition weren't as good.

Freemans statisics alone prove this.

As I said before, I think Tomlin could be the missing link, so I look forward to him getting match sharpness, and the rest of the side getting used to the new system.

Amen.

Archived