IGNORED

The Official Milton Keynes v Bristol City Match Day Thread

An epic, colossal, glorious matchday introduction from you, Hava.  Very Well Done, Sir.

And like on previous occasions, you've got the same score as myself - a 1-1.

But reading in the EP this morning, it seems 1-1 draws are declining in the Championship.

So perhaps this one will finish a dull 0-0. 

If there is a goal, I would say that Jonny Kodjia has to score again soon, and this seems like as good a day as any.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSS.

COME ON LJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Another thought, Jet to score for MK Dons??

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

An epic, colossal, glorious matchday introduction from you, Hava.  Very Well Done, Sir.

And like on previous occasions, you've got the same score as myself - a 1-1.

But reading in the EP this morning, it seems 1-1 draws are declining in the Championship.

So perhaps this one will finish a dull 0-0. 

If there is a goal, I would say that Jonny Kodjia has to score again soon, and this seems like as good a day as any.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSS.

COME ON LJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Another thought, Jet to score for MK Dons??

Cheers me dears.

• Like 1

Had a similar feel to last years away match there despite being on the opposite side of the table this time. Two teams that do not want to lose. A loss for either team could be quite damaging and I can see both teams setting up defensively. I think our safest lineup and maybe most likely to net would be the same as last week but with Tomlin behind Kodjia in a 4-5-1. I know Kodjia has been struggling but he gave their defenders problems at our place and is still our best chance of making something happen. Anyway, think this has 0-0 written all over it but it'll be 3-2 to someone now I've said 0-0. 

35 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The clouds have lifted, the typhoon winds have moved offshore and the sun has returned with a vengeance. Moreover I am back from the Boondocks. 

Good morning and good afternoon everyone.

Once upon a time when I was busy doing my Geography coursework I recall a field trip visit to Cwmbran. The nearest new town to Somerset was chosen because it offered lessons in urban planning that perhaps will once more be very relevant as Britain seeks ways of overcoming the continued shortage of homes across the land. Cwmbran was conceived in 1949 and was one of the earliest 'garden cities' that eventually would number 32.

Ebenezer Howard’s invention of the Garden City in 1898, based on a vision of combining the ‘advantages of the most energetic and active town life, with all the beauty and delight of the country’ in a high-quality sustainable community, was to revolutionise the way people thought about building towns and cities.

What typically comes to mind on hearing the words ‘New Town’? Modernist housing estates? Bleak architecture? Roundabouts? There is no doubt that the New Towns are often the butt of jokes (Big Tone?... lets be avin yuh!) about the failures of modern urbanism (often made by people who have never visited a New Town, let alone lived or worked in one), but their story is an intriguing one: of anarchists, artists, visionaries, and the promise of a new beginning for millions of people.

A Garden City is a holistically planned new settlement which enhances the natural environment and offers high-quality affordable housing and locally accessible work in beautiful, healthy and sociable communities. of course, in reality it might be a load of old poppycock but in my distant memory I do seem to have come away from Cwmbran thinking it had its merits. 

Milton Keynes was inaugurated in 1967 and has since grown to more than 250,000 people; arguably way beyond what a true Garden City was supposed to be. Interestingly Howard had envisaged his garden city concept creating sustainable communities of not more than 30-35,000 people and the very first town, in the world, was Letchworth in Hertfordshire just north of Stevenage which has a population today of around 33,000! 

New towns that have become league teams apart from Milton Keynes?.. Peterborough, a town founded in 1967, Stevenage 1946, Crawley 1947, Northampton 1968 and, in Scotland, Livingston inaugurated in 1962 and Cumbernauld in 1955 *.

The New Towns programme was quite possibly the most ambitious of any devised anywhere in the world. Its legacy, like any major works, will have its good and its bad but it served Britain well and the lessons learnt from the errors will hopefully translate into improved versions as the discussion on a swathe of 21st century garden cities increases.

Pete Winkelman brought a new league club to Milton Keynes which I have discussed in previous MK Match day threads and many have opined on the subject. Most, but not all, of the other new towns I have mentioned with league clubs grew organically as population and interest grew in what had hitherto been small villages or dispersed communities within much smaller settlements. 

* Milton Keynes is not the only 'franchise' club if you will. Livingston became the new home for Meadowbank Thistle of Edinburgh; I am sure that rankles to this day with Thistle fans. Fortunately the powers that be decided not to use the name Livingston Thistle. Equally Clyde from Glasgow moved to Cumbernauld although in their case they kept the name. In both of these Scottish examples the owners thought the fan base would be greater in their new locations a decision which seems to ignore the fans that were there, in the original long standing locations, in the first place. 

At least with Wimbledon the support was so strong and the will so galvanised that they not only started again, from scratch, but they have once more become a league team. The same cannot be said for Meadowbank Thistle. Can it?

I do not profess to be an expert on the on-going discussion and as football fans I am sure many would prefer to talk about the ball and not the history... thats what this thread is for; for anyone to drive the topic of conversation wherever they want it to go. I merely find it interesting how new towns came about, it relives my studies at school and it creates some strong and interesting feelings when a fan base is told their club is moving. And for all of that it makes the fixture, each time we play MK, all the more interesting.

So what say we for todays match then folks? Are we bouncing around Stadium MK in anything like the numbers of last year or is that far too much to ask? The scoreline and the support i mean.

Perhaps another draw? I would feel a lot more upbeat if we had another striker on board; have I missed a sneaky loan overnight?

1-1 I believe.

Tomlin this time from regular play.

Good and safe journey to all those going today, watch out for the roundabouts but enjoy the green open spaces of Milton Keynes. I don't think its all that bad and bring your litter home ;):).

UTC.

MODS - I would have liked to have uploaded an interesting map but you have reduced the file size to 340kb and when reducing the file size under that size it is still not recognised.. some form of on-going glitch you have there I think.

Welcome back - it was so shit last week.

:thumbsup:

Yep, either 1-1 or 2-2.

Uncle TFR

P.S. Anyone have a picture of a Belted Galloway??

9 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

We've never lost to them and that should remain come 5pm

I don't like these long running stats being quoted as they so often get broken in this league. Probably just perception but whenever I hear 'they haven't won here for 30-odd years' quoted by a commentator it seems 'they' go on to win. Something about the unpredictable nature of the Championship.

I too would predict a draw. As most of us are thinking this I am suspecting it won't happen though.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

The clouds have lifted, the typhoon winds have moved offshore and the sun has returned with a vengeance. Moreover I am back from the Boondocks. 

Good morning and good afternoon everyone.

Once upon a time when I was busy doing my Geography coursework I recall a field trip visit to Cwmbran. The nearest new town to Somerset was chosen because it offered lessons in urban planning that perhaps will once more be very relevant as Britain seeks ways of overcoming the continued shortage of homes across the land. Cwmbran was conceived in 1949 and was one of the earliest 'garden cities' that eventually would number 32.

Ebenezer Howard’s invention of the Garden City in 1898, based on a vision of combining the ‘advantages of the most energetic and active town life, with all the beauty and delight of the country’ in a high-quality sustainable community, was to revolutionise the way people thought about building towns and cities.

What typically comes to mind on hearing the words ‘New Town’? Modernist housing estates? Bleak architecture? Roundabouts? There is no doubt that the New Towns are often the butt of jokes (Big Tone?... lets be avin yuh!) about the failures of modern urbanism (often made by people who have never visited a New Town, let alone lived or worked in one), but their story is an intriguing one: of anarchists, artists, visionaries, and the promise of a new beginning for millions of people.

A Garden City is a holistically planned new settlement which enhances the natural environment and offers high-quality affordable housing and locally accessible work in beautiful, healthy and sociable communities. of course, in reality it might be a load of old poppycock but in my distant memory I do seem to have come away from Cwmbran thinking it had its merits. 

Milton Keynes was inaugurated in 1967 and has since grown to more than 250,000 people; arguably way beyond what a true Garden City was supposed to be. Interestingly Howard had envisaged his garden city concept creating sustainable communities of not more than 30-35,000 people and the very first town, in the world, was Letchworth in Hertfordshire just north of Stevenage which has a population today of around 33,000! 

New towns that have become league teams apart from Milton Keynes?.. Peterborough, a town founded in 1967, Stevenage 1946, Crawley 1947, Northampton 1968 and, in Scotland, Livingston inaugurated in 1962 and Cumbernauld in 1955 *.

The New Towns programme was quite possibly the most ambitious of any devised anywhere in the world. Its legacy, like any major works, will have its good and its bad but it served Britain well and the lessons learnt from the errors will hopefully translate into improved versions as the discussion on a swathe of 21st century garden cities increases.

Pete Winkelman brought a new league club to Milton Keynes which I have discussed in previous MK Match day threads and many have opined on the subject. Most, but not all, of the other new towns I have mentioned with league clubs grew organically as population and interest grew in what had hitherto been small villages or dispersed communities within much smaller settlements. 

* Milton Keynes is not the only 'franchise' club if you will. Livingston became the new home for Meadowbank Thistle of Edinburgh; I am sure that rankles to this day with Thistle fans. Fortunately the powers that be decided not to use the name Livingston Thistle. Equally Clyde from Glasgow moved to Cumbernauld although in their case they kept the name. In both of these Scottish examples the owners thought the fan base would be greater in their new locations a decision which seems to ignore the fans that were there, in the original long standing locations, in the first place. 

At least with Wimbledon the support was so strong and the will so galvanised that they not only started again, from scratch, but they have once more become a league team. The same cannot be said for Meadowbank Thistle. Can it?

I do not profess to be an expert on the on-going discussion and as football fans I am sure many would prefer to talk about the ball and not the history... thats what this thread is for; for anyone to drive the topic of conversation wherever they want it to go. I merely find it interesting how new towns came about, it relives my studies at school and it creates some strong and interesting feelings when a fan base is told their club is moving. And for all of that it makes the fixture, each time we play MK, all the more interesting.

So what say we for todays match then folks? Are we bouncing around Stadium MK in anything like the numbers of last year or is that far too much to ask? The scoreline and the support i mean.

Perhaps another draw? I would feel a lot more upbeat if we had another striker on board; have I missed a sneaky loan overnight?

1-1 I believe.

Tomlin this time from regular play.

Good and safe journey to all those going today, watch out for the roundabouts but enjoy the green open spaces of Milton Keynes. I don't think its all that bad and bring your litter home ;):).

UTC.

MODS - I would have liked to have uploaded an interesting map but you have reduced the file size to 340kb and when reducing the file size under that size it is still not recognised.. some form of on-going glitch you have there I think.

Good morning Your Highness

Condensed  Version

Milton Keynes

Everything about Milton Keynes proves that all is good in the world.  It boasts a football club steeped in tradition and 22 million trees ( 2 for each roundabout ).

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Good morning Your Highness

Condensed  Version

Milton Keynes

Everything about Milton Keynes proves that all is good in the world.  It boasts a football club steeped in tradition and 22 million trees ( 2 for each roundabout ).

Bloomin Marvellous. I love the new positive edge. Long may it continue.. whos up next? Oh Yeah Brighton.. yeahhh thats a decent place. You can keep the same vibe for next week then ;)

48 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Welcome back - it was so shit last week.

:thumbsup:

Yep, either 1-1 or 2-2.

Uncle TFR

P.S. Anyone have a picture of a Belted Galloway??

56c83d14c7693_BeltedGalloway.jpeg.043761

Cannot do one but hope a family of five will do.

Thanks for the compo. :)

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Bloomin Marvellous. I love the new positive edge. Long may it continue.. whos up next? Oh Yeah Brighton.. yeahhh thats a decent place. You can keep the same vibe for next week then ;)

Thank you Sir, I will try but still a bit tired after last weeks fact finding trip to Queensland

I'd take a draw; MK have as much to lose/gain as us, and a point a piece could end up a decent result for both sides, dependant on other results.

If Bolton hosting QPR ends in a draw or away win, Charlton lose or draw at Fulham, and Rotherham get nothing away to Burnley, then even just a share of the spoils today would be excellent.

My home game! 

Seem to have been our shadow all year, seemingly always within a point or two of us. Equally tried to play too much football early on, and coinciding with our better form have rediscovered the importance of defence themselves. We could be playing against the Baldock's next two games, and the return of their one to the back four has also seen them last three games go 0-0 Cardiff, 1-1 Middlesborough (1-0 until the 93rd minute) and a 1-0 win v Derby. 

Think our spine of Baker, Flint, Pack, Smith, Tomlin will keep us strong. Equally, with Forster-Caskey who scored the winner at Derby from a free kick, and, um, somebody called JET, will need to ensure they do not get to many pop shots away from outside the box. Also some dude called Maynard likely to start on the bench for them.

We have a claim to be one of their bogey sides, and I see a similiar game to last year. Hopefully falls our way again, and recent form of both says should be another binary score.

Lets just say if it is nil nil with seconds to go, and I see JET brushing off to players and then threading Maynard through on goal it would be hard to take...

Edited by cityexile

Big chance to make the gap over Rotherham bigger today. Theyre due a drubbing so our friend Mr Gray may just help us out. 

I expect us to win today. LJ said players dont need reminding of the importance of the game today. Lets hope thats true. 

A min of 5 pts this week should see us extend the gap i reckon. 

Optimistic comments from an ever optimistic red on his way to the ground of empty seats today!!!

26 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Big chance to make the gap over Rotherham bigger today. Theyre due a drubbing so our friend Mr Gray may just help us out. 

I expect us to win today. LJ said players dont need reminding of the importance of the game today. Lets hope thats true. 

A min of 5 pts this week should see us extend the gap i reckon. 

Optimistic comments from an ever optimistic red on his way to the ground of empty seats today!!!

rapidly turning into the grim reaper this season is Mr Andre

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Northampton, a new town? The Northampton that got its charter from Richard I in 1189??

OK I've checked and you're right. It was designated a New Town in the 1960s. How bizarre is that though.

Purely a planning designation.

Northampton was one of the Viking Burghs of England and a major town since Saxon times. Peterborough was also largeish. 

Other towns founded or expanded dramatically in the post-war period are not designated new towns: Yate, Swindon and Andover for example.

1 hour ago, Coombsy said:

And from Bristol 

Does he own property in North Bristol or just South Bristol? If the former he should, according to Gas analogy, be a Rovers fan.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Northampton, a new town? The Northampton that got its charter from Richard I in 1189??

OK I've checked and you're right. It was designated a New Town in the 1960s. How bizarre is that though.

na na na na naaaaa ;)