IGNORED

The Official Milton Keynes v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Listened to Karl Robinson on the local radio on the way back. Sounded as down as Cotts used to. Gave us no credit. (There's a surprise!)

Basically said it was an awful game between two poor teams, and they were even worse than us.

Funny that, I thought we totally outplayed them, controlled the game, and with a bit more composure could have had at least one, if not two more goals.

He seemed to have, like Cotts, missed out on the training about being gracious in defeat,  when he gained his badges.

Edited by Frenchay Red
3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What's Robinson going to use as a excuse this time,it can't be our budget 

Speaking on BBC 3 Counties Radio after the match, he tried to claim that we were a very poor side, particularly in the first half  but for some inexplicable reason today, MKD were worse.

20 minutes ago, fixit said:

Speaking on BBC 3 Counties Radio after the match, he tried to claim that we were a very poor side, particularly in the first half  but for some inexplicable reason today, MKD were worse.

Not sure why he felt the need to comment on us. 

I thought we controlled the whole 1st half albeit without creating enough. 

They had a slight go 2nd half with JET's effort nearly hitting the top tier being their first effort in almost an hour at our goal. 

Not sure how we can be poor if we limited them to zero efforts for best part of an hour. 

Thoroughly deserved victory in a sh1te stadium, lifeless and boring. No wonder their fans that did bother to show up couldnt be arsed to make any noise. 

Deflecting his comments onto 'bristol werent any good' is surely one of those lessons these guys get when doing their badges to deflect the criticism of their own shortcomings away from themselves. 

Classless. 

• Like 1

So glad we are developing AG rather than building an off the shelf stadium in the middle of nowhere

Give me the pubs around Ashton / Bemmy that add to the match day experience and help generate an overall atmosphere rather than having to drink a pint from a plastic cup stood outside Frankie & Bennys

As for JET - a few nice through balls and a couple of decent touches here and there but overall he seems to be carrying a little more timber since he left us. Was said to see him go but don't think I'd want him back based on the little he offered today, unless of course he couldn't find it within himself to try too hard against given how much he enjoyed his spell with us 

Mickey got plenty of good natured abuse and fair play to him for clapping the City fans at the end, the *****

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Could have had 8 defeats on the trot, according to this piece of nonsense.

The only nonsense I can see, is people who refuse to admit we are playing better football since LJ, JP and WA took charge.

Better results, more solid performances, less goals conceded, better points ratio, players actually saying they feel more comfortable playing under a new system, and a team growing in confidence...but hey...don't let facts get in the way of holding a grudge....even when everyone seems happy with what's happening.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spudski said:

The only nonsense I can see, is people who refuse to admit we are playing better football since LJ, JP and WA took charge.

Better results, more solid performances, less goals conceded, better points ratio, players actually saying they feel more comfortable playing under a new system, and a team growing in confidence...but hey...don't let facts get in the way of holding a grudge....even when everyone seems happy with what's happening.

A question to you and anybody else who is going to games regularly; are we playing easier on the eye football or more effective football since changing the formation?

On paper the wing back system of Cotts was usually great to watch while traditional 4-4-2 can be turgid.

Results are essential obviously but I hope we can find a way of continuing to play entertaining football.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

A question to you and anybody else who is going to games regularly; are we playing easier on the eye football or more effective football since changing the formation?

On paper the wing back system of Cotts was usually great to watch while traditional 4-4-2 can be turgid.

Results are essential obviously but I hope we can find a way of continuing to play entertaining football.

I think the eye can be deceiving in many ways fella...any formation looks great when your winning with ease and scoring for fun like we did in league 1...but it's hopeless when conceding so many and relegation fodder.

Fair play to SC for what he did last season...you can't take that away from the bloke. However...it's madness to keep doing the same thing over and over, and losing so easily without changing and making so many excuses for why it's not working.

Then after leaving...the people SC worked with so closely, changed everything...and instantly got results with pretty much the same players.

Say's so much to me...a few will disagree, but the facts don't lie.

As for Entertainment...I think it depends on the person...what's entertaining for some, is boring for others.

I love technical football...lots hate it, and prefer bang, crash, wallop style football...so it's kind of a catch 22.

• Like 1

Noted Spud.

I think most post people can agree on what is essentially entertaining and turgid football mind; be that 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

There is a lot more to SC's last weeks than meets the eye and we will never understand it all but you are right and the team and the results are bigger and more important than any individual, owner, manager or player. 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, spudski said:

This is the post that you were replying to and facts are fine and obviously backed up by results and I am relieved and very happy, but replying 'too true' to a post with that first line requires just that 'vivid imagination' and pure speculation, it's as scientific picking lottery numbers and my post to you is as least as valid, because it to requires 'vivid imagination'.

"Just imagine where we would have been if LJ had come in in October/November"

But this is a case of better late than never, I hope and I believe

Bounce Bounce Bounce

One thing is for sure and LJ eluded to it that we have a great group of players and a very tight knit dressing room, something that despite results remained, something that LJ could tap into immediately and probably something many teams in our position could not count on, the sacking of SC was right and just and it's timing may prove to be perfect and with that regard it looks as though the board have got the timing and appointment correct twice now.

My grudge is the vitriol aimed at a guy who gave us a memorable season and a half after 5/6 years of mainly misery and 4 abject managers and then he did what MOST eventual sacked managers do when things start going wrong, believed that he was right and the old magic would return and kept on with the same old system and picking 'certain' players', in that regard he is no different to Mourinho, LVG, Pulis, Fat Sam, Wenger, Rogers even SOD, it's what they do, there are very few anywhere in the world who are different to this when things go wrong and to us mere fans it seems like simple suicide but still they carry on with their ideas, even Barnsley fans alluded to it with LJ during his 8 match losing streak 'stubborn' and picking 'certain players' and baffling tactics were mentioned, it's a recurring theme with struggling managers the world over.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, spudski said:

I think the eye can be deceiving in many ways fella...any formation looks great when your winning with ease and scoring for fun like we did in league 1...but it's hopeless when conceding so many and relegation fodder.

Fair play to SC for what he did last season...you can't take that away from the bloke. However...it's madness to keep doing the same thing over and over, and losing so easily without changing and making so many excuses for why it's not working.

Then after leaving...the people SC worked with so closely, changed everything...and instantly got results with pretty much the same players.

Say's so much to me...a few will disagree, but the facts don't lie.

As for Entertainment...I think it depends on the person...what's entertaining for some, is boring for others.

I love technical football...lots hate it, and prefer bang, crash, wallop style football...so it's kind of a catch 22.

And so do I, but even technical football needs structure and everybody understanding their roles and carrying out those roles for 90 minutes.

I watched a 4-3 French ligue 1match last night, a technical team v a more direct team, the technical team had 60% of the game and created countless cracking goalscoring opportunities and played some sweet stuff but the over elaboration and lack of structure almost undid them all night, they were caught on the break after 2 minutes but never learned their lesson and had luck on their side with a 90+3 match winning free kick.

For me this was where SOD went wrong, he wanted to play a certain possession based system that relied on everybody knowing and sticking to their role, but sadly the players weren't mentally on the same page and never were going to be, we could see it but he still persisted, reading the Walsall forum he took over with them top of the league (obviously doing something right) and immediately set about changing their style of play and now they struggling by comparison, the natives are not happy, to me this puts the machinations of a manager/head coach in a nutshell, for me the best coaches make the best out of what they have got and try to improve it with astute signings little by little and if the players are obviously not capable of playing to the system you favour, tough luck it will eventually cost your job if you persist but still it happens all over the football world.

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

This is the post that you were replying to and facts are fine and obviously backed up by results and I am relieved and very happy, but replying 'too true' to a post with that first line requires just that 'vivid imagination' and pure speculation, it's as scientific picking lottery numbers and my post to you is as least as valid, because it to requires 'vivid imagination'.

"Just imagine where we would have been if LJ had come in in October/November"

But this is a case of better late than never, I hope and I believe

Bounce Bounce Bounce

One thing is for sure and LJ eluded to it that we have a great group of players and a very tight knit dressing room, something that despite results remained, something that LJ could tap into immediately and probably something many teams in our position could not count on, the sacking of SC was right and just and it's timing may prove to be perfect and with that regard it looks as though the board have got the timing and appointment correct twice now.

My grudge is the vitriol aimed at a guy who gave us a memorable season and a half after 5/6 years of mainly misery and 4 abject managers and then he did what MOST eventual sacked managers do when things start going wrong, believed that he was right and the old magic would return and kept on with the same old system and picking 'certain' players', in that regard he is no different to Mourinho, LVG, Pulis, Fat Sam, Wenger, Rogers even SOD, it's what they do, there are very few anywhere in the world who are different to this when things go wrong and to us mere fans it seems like simple suicide but still they carry on with their ideas, even Barnsley fans alluded to it with LJ during his 8 match losing streak 'stubborn' and picking 'certain players' and baffling tactics were mentioned, it's a recurring theme with struggling managers the world over.

Thing is fella...that is your opinion... But when anyone stood up for SoD you were all over em like a rash...yet when the tables are turned, it's different?

You can't have it both ways. You liked him as a manager, and because others don't, and he proved to be a failure this season, you can't seem to handle people talking about him in negative tones.

What you seem to only look at, is the short term results of SC's tenure. Yes, he got us promotion and it was a great season...but at what cost?

The damage he was doing throughout the rest of the Club goes unnoticed by the majority. It was short term success...he was actually doing more damage long term.

His time in league 1 suited in many ways, the timing was very easy compared to others...contracts up and allowed to spend on players.

Previous managers had various 'shackles' to work with...and it showed. But at least some were trying to do the right thing, and put things in place for the future.

Great...the man should be applauded for getting us promotion...but what he did this season was disgusting. And because he got us promoted, he got away with it...any other manager would have been thrown out earlier...and I'm not just going on about the rubbish he was producing on the pitch. I haven't looked...but his results this season must be the worst under any City manager.

Now when anyone compares Sc's time this season, to how it's changed since he's left, throughout the club, it causes a few to react negatively.

I really can't understand how you can't see how badly he was managing the club this season....

His closest work colleagues take over ( JP and WA ) and change things immediately...across the club...so that goes to show they didn't believe in what he was doing.

Players have come out and said how much better they feel playing a different way.

SC said he couldn't get anymore out of these players and made excuse after excuse...what a load of bollox that was.

The bloke was stubborn and selfish and thought nothing more than himself...he thought he was bigger than the Club...arrogant to the last. Cut off his nose to spite his face.

If you get a chance...speak to people down their now. It's like a heavy depressing weight has been taken away. Nothing to do with results only.

Either way...I'm not going to agree with what you think about SC...EVER. So why don't we just avoid commenting on one another comments regarding such, as we just go round in circles.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Seems whichever 'Bristol' team is playing at home BBC Radio Bristol will be broadcasting those games on DAB... Away teams matches on FM. 

(reorganised due to demise of MW)

That's what I thought until I missed a home game put the radio on and we were on mw with the sags on DAB . It's sags on DAB no matter what and we get fm for away and mw for home. They even put the rugby on dab instead of us

Seems like things are going well. Another win, another clean sheet- just seen the goals- both assists were lovely especially Bryan's. Vyner young, great to see him get a game in such a big game- I was concerned when I saw teamsheet a bit concerned anyway as inexperience in such a big game, well you never know what to expect. Beat Rotherham and Bolton at home and I think it's nailed on...Huddersfield would be a good one to win too- Bolton and admin what is happening there?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Thing is fella...that is your opinion... But when anyone stood up for SoD you were all over em like a rash...yet when the tables are turned, it's different?

You can't have it both ways. You liked him as a manager, and because others don't, and he proved to be a failure this season, you can't seem to handle people talking about him in negative tones.

What you seem to only look at, is the short term results of SC's tenure. Yes, he got us promotion and it was a great season...but at what cost?

The damage he was doing throughout the rest of the Club goes unnoticed by the majority. It was short term success...he was actually doing more damage long term.

His time in league 1 suited in many ways, the timing was very easy compared to others...contracts up and allowed to spend on players.

Previous managers had various 'shackles' to work with...and it showed. But at least some were trying to do the right thing, and put things in place for the future.

Great...the man should be applauded for getting us promotion...but what he did this season was disgusting. And because he got us promoted, he got away with it...any other manager would have been thrown out earlier...and I'm not just going on about the rubbish he was producing on the pitch. I haven't looked...but his results this season must be the worst under any City manager.

Now when anyone compares Sc's time this season, to how it's changed since he's left, throughout the club, it causes a few to react negatively.

I really can't understand how you can't see how badly he was managing the club this season....

His closest work colleagues take over ( JP and WA ) and change things immediately...across the club...so that goes to show they didn't believe in what he was doing.

Players have come out and said how much better they feel playing a different way.

SC said he couldn't get anymore out of these players and made excuse after excuse...what a load of bollox that was.

The bloke was stubborn and selfish and thought nothing more than himself...he thought he was bigger than the Club...arrogant to the last. Cut off his nose to spite his face.

If you get a chance...speak to people down their now. It's like a heavy depressing weight has been taken away. Nothing to do with results only.

Either way...I'm not going to agree with what you think about SC...EVER. So why don't we just avoid commenting on one another comments regarding such, as we just go round in circles.

Thing is fella, imagination is not fact and never will be.

As for the highlighted sentence make it up why don't you? where did I or have I said that exactly?, really try reading what I posted for once, what I am saying in that regard he is no different to the vast majority of managers at whatever level who are going through a bad time, they have an arrogant idea that what worked once will continue to work, your post has just described most of those managers, just take a look on the Walsall fans forum or the Barnsley forum when LJ took over at BCFC, they claim exactly that when Barnsley went through their bad spell and in that regard SC is no different to virtually any other manager.

i'm ecstatic that we are beginning to draw clear of the bottom 3, something we witnessed with KM and DMC, it's what happens the season after that shows whether progress has been made or not and hopefully LJ can reverse that particular trend.

PS:- LJ like the past 5 managers have not been my first choice, but if you look at my posts since his arrival I have supported him and said as much, even to the effect that his substitution policy of bringing on Wilbraham and Agard after an hour is genius IMO, but you only really see the real manager when there is a crisis, that's when we will have a better idea of what type of manager that we have on our hands.

24 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Thing is fella, imagination is not fact and never will be.

As for the highlighted sentence make it up why don't you? where did I or have I said that exactly?, really try reading what I posted for once, what I am saying in that regard he is no different to the vast majority of managers at whatever level who are going through a bad time, they have an arrogant idea that what worked once will continue to work, your post has just described most of those managers, just take a look on the Walsall fans forum or the Barnsley forum when LJ took over at BCFC, they claim exactly that when Barnsley went through their bad spell and in that regard SC is no different to virtually any other manager.

i'm ecstatic that we are beginning to draw clear of the bottom 3, something we witnessed with KM and DMC, it's what happens the season after that shows whether progress has been made or not and hopefully LJ can reverse that particular trend.

PS:- LJ like the past 5 managers have not been my first choice, but if you look at my posts since his arrival I have supported him and said as much, even to the effect that his substitution policy of bringing on Wilbraham and Agard after an hour is genius IMO, but you only really see the real manager when there is a crisis, that's when we will have a better idea of what type of manager that we have on our hands.

This is where we disagree though fella...I don't think SC is like MOST managers...I agree every manager has lean spells...it's what he was doing behind the scenes, and the negative vibe and poor long term outlook he was giving the whole Club, that I don't like. You may disagree...so we can agree to disagree on that respect.

I agree with the other parts you have said though.

So shall we just leave this...and look forward to a sunny future...fingers crossed :-)

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is where we disagree though fella...I don't think SC is like MOST managers...I agree every manager has lean spells...it's what he was doing behind the scenes, and the negative vibe and poor long term outlook he was giving the whole Club, that I don't like. You may disagree...so we can agree to disagree on that respect.

I agree with the other parts you have said though.

So shall we just leave this...and look forward to a sunny future...fingers crossed :-)

indeed fella, after a manager who forgot about the first team in favour of behind the scenes and a manager who forgot about behind the scenes in favour of the first team, that the board have a manager who can multi task.

By the way you've just described Jose Mourinho as well.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Bbc Radio Bristol no longer broadcasts on MW ... the mendip transmitter is defunct.

You mean Mangotsfield, which was 1548KHz or 194meters medium wave for us oldies.

The normal Saturday configuration is the Bristol side that are away get 94.9 FM (or VHF) transmitting from Dundry.  The Home side will now be on DAB only in Bristol, due to the demise of the Medium Wave service.

For an evening match - who knows!  Depends how many of the local sides are playing but FM is 1st choice for football if only one of the Bristol sides are in action.

Barmy logic if you ask me, no wonder so many people can't find the right commentary.  Other stations are organised much better.

4 minutes ago, fixit said:

You mean Mangotsfield, which was 1 548KHz or 194meters medium wave for us oldies.

The normal Saturday configuration is the Bristol side that are away get 94.9 FM (or VHF) transmitting from Dundry.  The Home side will now be on DAB only in Bristol, due to the demise of the Medium Wave service.

For an evening match - who knows!  Depends how many of the local sides are playing but FM is 1st choice for football if only one of the Bristol sides are in action.

Barmy logic if you ask me, no wonder so many people can't find the right commentary.  Other stations are organised much better.

..thanks for that, knew a transmitter had shut down, presumed it was Mendip, my mistake.

As you say though the chopping and changing leaves people confused as to whats what ..

I guess a DAB/FM radio is a must now if we're not going to miss half the matches (FM gets the local bbc radio on freeview TV radio channels btw)

On 20 February 2016 at 15:53, cynic said:

Got flashscores running and its about 15 seconds in front of Player.

Depending on the latency, I've known it to be a minute in front in the past.

Flash scores is great, but I always get nervous when my phone goes off, as we are invariably under pressure at the time according to the player commentary I'm hearing.