IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion Match Day Thread

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I personally lay some of the blame for the first goal on O'Donnel, silly place to kick the ball immediately put Vyner under pressure. I also lay quite a lot of the blame on him for the second goal, couldn't tell how hard Baldock hit it but to be beaten at the near post from there isn't normally acceptable. 

My first thought on the first goal was that RO'D put Vyner in trouble. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Offside said:

Home debut for Vyner. I couldn't make it to MK on Saturday so I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

I now regret this pre-match comment - maybe I jinxed him!

Overall we were pretty poor defensively, which I suppose wasn't a surprise seeing as two of our first choice defenders were injured. Vyner obviously struggled and we were exposed down our right-hand side throughout, even once he had been substituted. My first instinct when they got their second was that O'Donnell should have saved it but the highlights might prove me wrong. Not sure why Joe Bryan was taken off because he seemed to be causing them some problems on that side.

I think 4-0 flattered them somewhat. They pressed us well and took their chances but we gifted them their goals.

Hope Vyner's confidence isn't now completely shot.

At least results in games involving teams below us went our way.

Hopefully we can tighten up again at the back in the Forest game.

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

If there was an error it was in the much discussed 'summer'.

Simply have to stay up this year. Only aim. It does pain me however a little to see Preston in ninth...fair play to them and all that, but does make you wonder 'what if'.

Preston show what is achievable in this league. All the bollocks about not being able to compete (for Gayle and Gray, no we can't. Nor can Preston), I don't know what their budget is, but Preston's crowds are shite - they scraped over 10k tonight, only just - 5000 less than us this evening.

The bedrock of achievement in this league is a solid defence - not being dead and buried before half time. Preston have managed this, yet like us they have scored less than a goal a game. We need to get back to that solidity and continue that into next season.

We don't need anything fancy, anything massively expensive, just solid and professional. Like Preston. You don't need parachute payments to do this. Preston are doing it. We can do it. It can be done. No more excuses

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Well in all Carey fairness it was not a one off was it and I think it will not be the last time we get tonked this season. Thats just being realistic not negative. We will stay up; i have always said we would but there is a bit of a gulf between most teams and the top half a dozen apart from the odd freaky result.

Yeah we have taken a few beatings but we've been in most games. Looking at remaining fixtures I don't see another one like this. Uh oh. Watch that come back to haunt me.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

If he did take the ball off Tomlin, then yes that was foolish and needs looking into for sure, but to call him a 'terrible excuse for a pro footballer' is frankly stupid. 

There are anawful lot of bang average professionals making a very good wage. I'm yet to see how this guy is deserving of such wage. 

To be fair the penalty is probably the best strike of a ball i've ever seen from him. If he'd have scuffed it like the majority of his shots it wouldve probably gone in!

He sums up the lack of quality in the english game which simply cannot be covered with 'he runs around alot'. I believe he is out of contract in the summer and it will be a travesty if he finds a new one placed infront of him, imo. 

11 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I am not searching to apologise for the shambles that has been and IMHO still is bcfc, but who exactly could we sign that is fit, available, will improve us and is available ? Everyone wants a striker and we are in a relegation battle. 

IMO the die was cast in last years January window the lack of activity then and in the summer when our stock was high was a massive mistake, our pursuit of 'fantasy' strikers and the obvious lack of back up choices have led us to where we find ourselves.

The highlighted portion is exactly my point, so why the bullshit before, during and after the window about bringing one in?, once the the January window closed and the emergency window it was obvious that there would be no striker coming in because of what you rightly say, but the club and some delusional fans still believed that it would happen.

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Tomlin?  Who should have taken it.   Who decides, surely the Capt should?

LJ's comments on the matter indicated that he had named Tomlin as penalty taker. 

If true, Agard should be fined a week's wages for ignoring specific instructions from the head coach.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2016 at 21:54, havanatopia said:

What did Tykes fans tell us? Something like 'LJ is incapable of changing his tactics' .

I don't really believe that but he got it wrong tonight and thats a fact not a criticism.

They did indeed, and with that in mind it was worrying how events unfolded on Tuesday.

We have to hope it was a one off and LJ will adapt to this level quickly.

In some respects it's as steep a learning curve for him now as it was for the team at the beginning of the season.

It looks like we'll stay up but if LJ proves to be outsmarted regularly by more wily and experienced managerial opponents next season will be not be something to look forward to.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2016 at 21:39, ChippenhamRed said:

In a very strange way, actually a good night. The gap to the bottom three is maintained and our rivals have one less game to catch us.

A good night?? I take it you didn't sit through it then?

For me, it was an incredibly miserable and depressing night, as bad as anything witnessed this season.

A humiliating defeat, very easily accomplished, and no entertainment from City whatsoever.

Bloody cold too, so although I'm naturally relieved after the event that results elsewhere went for in our favour, other teams also losing is not going to fill seats at Ashton Gate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For me, it was an incredibly miserable and depressing night, as bad as anything witnessed this season.

A humiliating defeat, very easily accomplished, and no entertainment from City whatsoever.

Bloody cold too, so although I'm naturally relieved after the event that results elsewhere went for in our favour, other teams also losing is not going to fill seats at Ashton Gate.

Ah, the classic OTIB trick of highlighting one sentence out of context and attempting to make a fellow forumite look stupid.

I think it's pretty obvious I was talking strictly in the context of our survival prospects - as my second sentence, which you elected not to highlight in bold, made abundantly clear.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't you go linking me to Chip Red's comments about a good night on Tuesday!

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Ah, the classic OTIB trick of highlighting one sentence out of context and attempting to make a fellow forumite look stupid.

I think it's pretty obvious I was talking strictly in the context of our survival prospects - as my second sentence, which you elected not to highlight in bold, made abundantly clear.

My post wasn't aimed at making you look stupid, and maintaining the gap doesn't alter my point. 

As far as I'm concerned there is NO context whatsoever that can spin an atrocious 4-0 home thrashing into a 'good night'.

You could say we got away with an appalling knackered looking performance and result due to failures elsewhere, but a good night it most certainly wasn't.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My post wasn't aimed at making you look stupid, and maintaining the gap doesn't alter my point. 

As far as I'm concerned there is NO context whatsoever that can spin an atrocious 4-0 home thrashing into a 'good night'.

You could say we got away with an appalling knackered looking performance and result due to failures elsewhere, but a good night it most certainly wasn't.

I'll try once more.

Firstly you'll note I called it a good "night", not a good "game". Two very different things. Clearly it was a terrible game. Most people are able to appreciate that referring to the "night" refers to the collective set of results - which were broadly favourable - rather than our one specific match.

Secondly you'll note that I qualified my statement with "in a very strange way", which is a clear reference to the rarity of actually moving closer to safety despite getting thrashed at home.

If you're intent on dissecting other people's posts, there are plenty more worthy examples elsewhere.