IGNORED

Flying Scotsman

phantom

• Admin

For those of a certain age or a certain interest will be delighted to know that the Flying Scotsman has it's first major journey this morning since it's £4.2m makeover

Already delayed due to people trying to get photos trackside, so it's had to stop a few times

You can track it here http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U59844/2016/02/25/advanced

Magnificent steam engine. The Flying Scotsman and The Mallard were my favourites.

My paternal grandfather started on the railways as a track layer in the 30s and worked his way up to management over his career. His genes might be why I find steam engines so fascinating.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Yup! I saw it about 20 years ago, although that looks more recent. Does it still steam?

Appears that it is in the National Railway Museum in York http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem?objid=1978-7025

Not sure what use they get out of it now?

Certainly has an interesting history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_3700_Class_3440_City_of_Truro

On 23 December 2016 at 17:11, Fiale said:

Amazing that we tore thousands of these machine up to make way for the new diesels - museums were still a thing back then, that suggest they did not realise what an attraction / importance to the future these great machines they worked on had/would have.

The steam preservation movement ironically owe a huge debt of gratitude to woodham brothers in Barry who kept lots of steam trains and processed as much other scrap they had. Over 300 engines were saved from them as a result. 

• Admin
12 hours ago, Tomarse said:

The steam preservation movement ironically owe a huge debt of gratitude to woodham brothers in Barry who kept lots of steam trains and processed as much other scrap they had. Over 300 engines were saved from them as a result. 

The name escapes me now, but saw a programme on this a few weeks back, agree if it wasn't for them it would be a lot worse

Notice a James May programme is about the Flying Scotsman too - set the Sky+ to record it, think he builds one of his infamous giant models

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

The name escapes me now, but saw a programme on this a few weeks back, agree if it wasn't for them it would be a lot worse

Notice a James May programme is about the Flying Scotsman too - set the Sky+ to record it, think he builds one of his infamous giant models

There was a documentary that I`ve seen a couple of times on the various UKTV channels about some enthusiasts who wanted to start a heritage railway somewhere in the Midlands and that was where they got their rolling stock. There were interviews on that with the son(?) of the original Mr Woodham about how it all came together.

I think Pete Waterman was in it too - he`s a huge steam fan and puts a lot of money into restoration projects.

On 23/12/2016 at 12:23, Robbored said:

Magnificent steam engine. The Flying Scotsman and The Mallard were my favourites.

My paternal grandfather started on the railways as a track layer in the 30s and worked his way up to management over his career. His genes might be why I find steam engines so fascinating.

In 1958 (or threreabouts) I travelled by train from Leeds to Kings Cross.  I was delighted to see that the loco was an A4, the Dominion of Canada.  Sadly the engine, which looked very tatty, must have been steaming badly as we never exceeded 60 mph at any time.  A huge disappointment.

Being brought up in the sarf, my favourite engines were the Schools Class 4-4-0s and the wonderful Bullied Pacifics.  Oliver Bullied was, at one time, assistant to Sir Nigel Gresley so he had the finest tutor.

Happy days!

Archived