IGNORED

Flying Scotsman

phantom

• Admin

Flying Scotsman trespassers spark track ban threatre this with Facebook

Train spottersImage copyrightH KELSEY
Image captionA driver said he faced groups of trespassers "every 200 yards" along part of the route

The Flying Scotsman could be banned from main line tracks after people trespassed to catch a glimpse of it.

There was chaos between Derby and Birmingham last Sunday as fans vied to spot the legendary loco on its UK tour.

The situation was blamed for a string of delays to normal services, with reports of people refusing to move when challenged by drivers.

Network Rail said a ban would be a "move of last resort" but could not be ruled out if lives were being risked.

It would not let "a few thoughtless lawbreakers" cause dangers and delays, it said.

Nearly 60 services were delayed for a total of 1,000 minutes as Flying Scotsman complete its tour of the Midlands last weekend, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

The force has issued an image of two photographers it wants to trace, saying it was "extremely disappointing that a small minority of rail enthusiasts put their lives in grave danger".

Trainspotters on line police appealImage copyrightBRITISH TRANSPORT POLICE
Image captionAn image of two people just metres away from the line as a train was due to pass was released by police

One passenger service driver, who asked to remain anonymous, said he saw trainspotting trespassers every 200 yards.

Describing it as "probably the most stressful experience I have ever had", he said it was "only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed" trying to get a photo.

Nick Brodrick, editor of Steam Railway magazine, said the problem was "deeply troubling".

"When you have drivers having to stop, get out and tell trespassers to move and even then be ignored, the situation is simply unacceptable," he said.

He said it would be hard to argue with a ban if someone was injured or killed.

A Flying Scotsman spokesman said a ban "would not be a surprise" but every effort, such as CCTV and extra police on the train, was being taken to avoid the situation.

The tour ends in Scotland on Friday.

2 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Ban all kettles from the ML ....all they do is get in the way and cause kettle cranks to go into brain meltdown....:yawn:

Just leave it to Tornado 

• Admin
11 hours ago, TomF said:

Just leave it to Tornado 

Spooky that you should mention 60163 @TomF it is part of a trip from Bristol to Par this Sunday

20190619_095027.jpg

20190619_095042.jpg

Not sure if anyone is interested, but there is some great information here https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a8fc96500acab2d6cc690eedd/files/277e11e3-5648-4629-95cf-63394fde8a93/2019_Tour_Guide.pdf

@phantom wanna see my videos?

DM me your email address if you do. Couple of close ups trackside when FS last came through Frome.

And the current Mrs S treated me to a trip from TM to Minehead for me 50th. And one of the many benefits of her being 12 years younger than me?

She fluttered her eyelashes and before we knew it we was on the footplate!

14276F2E-E0A0-40C2-84C5-B9CCACBFD806.png

12 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@phantom wanna see my videos?

DM me your email address if you do. Couple of close ups trackside when FS last came through Frome.

And the current Mrs S treated me to a trip from TM to Minehead for me 50th. And one of the many benefits of her being 12 years younger than me?

She fluttered her eyelashes and before we knew it we was on the footplate!

14276F2E-E0A0-40C2-84C5-B9CCACBFD806.png

Never understand why of recent years they fitted FS with German-type smoke deflectors...........never had them when running "properly" in British Railways days .

Archived