IGNORED

Guiseley v Braintree - you decide!

cityexile

Basically, ball has been kicked out for an injury. In restarting, kicking it back to the goalie it has gone in. One side says, meh, we will take the goal. Other says you should now give us a walk in. 

Your views? Play to the whistle? Bad sportsmanship? 

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Basically, ball has been kicked out for an injury. In restarting, kicking it back to the goalie it has gone in. One side says, meh, we will take the goal. Other says you should now give us a walk in. 

Your views? Play to the whistle? Bad sportsmanship? 

100% has to be a walk in. They are indicating they are playing it back to the keeper, so for me...play re-starts once the keeper has it 

He hit that pretty hard there was no way the keeper was saving that.

LJ did this almost same spot of the pitch when playing for Yeovil and GJ let the opposition walk one in straight after. Think LJ ended up wth a hat trick that day! 

I was at the game. It was all very silly indeed.

At the time I thought I could see why Guiseley didn't let them walk a goal in as the keeper made no effort at all to stop the ball going in and of course it was a perfectly fair goal so the ref had to allow it. However I've since seen the video of it and it's quite obvious that Norburn (ex Bristol Rovers, incidentally) deliberately chipped the ball over the keeper. There is no way he was simply trying to return the ball.

It's disappointing that Guiseley, who are an otherwise fine, friendly and honorable club, should have acted in this way, though in the manager's defence he won't have seen the replay either and they're in a relegation battle and need all the points they can get.

Oh and regarding playing to the whistle, Guiseley had the ball when the player first went down and continued playing. It was only after Braintree had won the ball back that they put it out, hence Guiseley having to return the ball to them.

3 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

At the time I thought I could see why Guiseley didn't let them walk a goal in as the keeper made no effort at all to stop the ball going in and of course it was a perfectly fair goal so the ref had to allow it. However I've since seen the video of it and it's quite obvious that Norburn (ex Bristol Rovers, incidentally) deliberately chipped the ball over the keeper. There is no way he was simply trying to return the ball.

It's disappointing that Guiseley, who are an otherwise fine, friendly and honorable club, should have acted in this way, though in the manager's defence he won't have seen the replay either and they're in a relegation battle and need all the points they can get.

Oh and regarding playing to the whistle, Guiseley had the ball when the player first went down and continued playing. It was only after Braintree had won the ball back that they put it out, hence Guiseley having to return the ball to them.

To be fair to Braintree's keeper, I suspect that he wasn't expecting that to happen.

Guiseley and especially their manager should hang their heads in shame over this, to coin the cliche football was the loser.

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

To be fair to Braintree's keeper, I suspect that he wasn't expecting that to happen.

Guiseley and especially their manager should hang their heads in shame over this, to coin the cliche football was the loser.

No, and after seeing it again I don't think the keeper can be blamed. However the Guiseley manager said he was told the keeper was "trying to be clever" and he didn't have the benefit of a video replay so I can sort of see why he did what he did at the time, even if it was wrong.

14 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

This for me sums up how good a forum OTIB is.

To think that when something like this happens, we on here can actually hear from someone who was there. Of all the games that a City fan could have been at, you picked this one and are able to give a first hand account - IMO compared to other clubs` forums, OTIB really does take some beating.

Bad sportsmanship in my view. The lad that played it back may have done it with tongue in cheek but the manager or Captain should be man enough to give the goal back. I'm guessing a Guiseley player was injured so sporting gesture to play it out rewarded by twatism !

1 minute ago, BCFC_Dan said:

No, and after seeing it again I don't think the keeper can be blamed. However the Guiseley manager said he was told the keeper was "trying to be clever" and he didn't have the benefit of a video replay so I can sort of see why he did what he did at the time, even if it was wrong.

i'm sorry Dan if the manager was swayed by that BS, then he is as stupid as the person who actually said it, why on earth would the keeper feel the need to be clever under the circumstances, whatever is there to be gained by that, in fact the only person trying to be clever is the **** who kicked it and if the manager cannot see, then he needs a trip to specsavers. 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Bad sportsmanship in my view. The lad that played it back may have done it with tongue in cheek but the manager or Captain should be man enough to give the goal back. I'm guessing a Guiseley player was injured so sporting gesture to play it out rewarded by twatism !

No it was a Braintree player who was injured. Guiseley actually had the ball when he went down and played on (quite rightly as it wasn't a head injury) and it was only when Braintree won the ball back that they put it out themselves.

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

No it was a Braintree player who was injured. Guiseley actually had the ball when he went down and played on (quite rightly as it wasn't a head injury) and it was only when Braintree won the ball back that they put it out themselves.

If that was the case Dan, then Braintree shouldn't have expected the ball back.

If a player is sufficiently injured, the ref would have blown.

If a team knocks the ball out themselves and makes the refs decision for him...then they shouldn't expect the ball back.

Ref should have told them to play on as normal at the throw in.

Disgraceful. They know it's wrong but are trying to blame it on the keeper.

the lad has hoofed it over the keepers head - why !? He should be passing it back in the spirit of the game. The keeper should not have to be scrambling back to save it. It's pathetic and the guiseley players and management should be ashamed of themselves !!

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Ahhh , I see . Still wrong, and I think you can tell the Guiseley manager looks a bit sheepish. Ref could have stepped in as Braintree didn't contest the throw in when taken as it looks like the Ref had told them to return the ball or they had said they would.

7 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

When a team puts the ball out for their own injured player then I do not believe the ball should be returned to them.

The keeper does seem to take an age to react. Whether he would have stopped it had he reacted sooner I guess we won't know.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

If that was the case Dan, then Braintree shouldn't have expected the ball back.

If a player is sufficiently injured, the ref would have blown.

If a team knocks the ball out themselves and makes the refs decision for him...then they shouldn't expect the ball back.

Ref should have told them to play on as normal at the throw in.

That's exactly the case. I don't know what the ref said to the players though. Braintree were quite clearly expecting the ball to be passed back to them and I suppose the ref should have made it clear that Guiseley didn't have to.

3 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

That's exactly the case. I don't know what the ref said to the players though. Braintree were quite clearly expecting the ball to be passed back to them and I suppose the ref should have made it clear that Guiseley didn't have to.

Semantics though Dan, what happened happened and sportsmanship needed to then to take over IMO.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Semantics though Dan, what happened happened and sportsmanship needed to then to take over IMO.

But there's clearly some doubt over whether or not they needed to be sporting about it and if they'd given a goal back and ended the season one point short of safety it'd be scant consolation that they made a generous gesture.

I'm not saying they were right or wrong, just that it's not completely straightforward and I can see both sides.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

He hit that pretty hard there was no way the keeper was saving that.

LJ did this almost same spot of the pitch when playing for Yeovil and GJ let the opposition walk one in straight after. Think LJ ended up wth a hat trick that day! 

Good knowledge! It was against Plymouth: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/3597030.stm

But they were also involved in another controversial one along the same lines in 2013: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2403528/Yeovil-score-controversial-goal-Birmingham-rage--Glovers-let-score-equaliser-extra-time-going-ahead-Capital-One-Cup.html

In my view Guiseley should definitely have allowed Braintree to walk the ball in. I'd be absolutely furious if a team scored a goal like that against us and then didn't make amends and I'd feel pretty ashamed if our players acted in such an unsporting way (not that I think they would). 

I agree that it should be the ref who decides that play should be stopped for an injury, though. Too many teams take advantage of getting the ball kicked out to disrupt the game.

36 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Anyone remember 'You are the ref' in Shoot! Magazine?! Loads of great questions/conundrums along these lines!

Yes always remember the one about a pen shootout with ten men having advantage should everyone taken a pen. Since changed I believe 

Archived