IGNORED

Bristol Arena (Merged)

TomF

So Bristol got a mayor to get things done, yet things like the arena are still blocked by the Usual suspects Labour. 

Meanwhile "getting things done" actually means the mayors vanity projects that no one asked for like RPZs happen, along with projects the mayor promised to stop like metro bus.

Outstanding.

• Like 2

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

So Bristol got a mayor to get things done, yet things like the arena are still blocked by the Usual suspects Labour. 

Meanwhile "getting things done" actually means the mayors vanity projects that no one asked for like RPZs happen, along with projects the mayor promised to stop like metro bus.

Outstanding.

I think this could well be retribution by labour and co. 

At least George know can begin to experience what we all did with AV

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tends to be the way that when applications are deferred requiring further information that as long as that information is provided, the application will be approved at the following committee.

Political statement made; they'll approve it next time IMO.

Don't doubt it won't, maybe after May meaning it won't be under Georges watch. I see the estimate bill for it is now £130m 

25 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That's a massive assumptions to make. Green/Lib Dems make up the council post May then it's game over.

Absolutely nothing to do with the council in Bristol now, they can delay but the elected mayor holds power and after May that definitely won't be a Green and there are hardly any Lib Dems left now.

17 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

To be honest I'm bloody glad it's been delayed. Building an arena on one of the most congested roads in the city without proper thought going into how everyone will get in/out and without proper parking facilities is nothing short of laughable. 

Spot on Dolls.

What I find odd is that incomplete plans were entered in the first place. 

This isn't political point-scoring. It's an inadequate application lacking in any real details. 

Yes, it's next to Temple Meads. But no use if there's no trains home.

Live in Cheltenham? Miss the end of the show to leave Bristol TM at 22:11, get home at 00:42 after spending 87 minutes waiting for your next connection at Gloucester.

Live in Chippenham? Rush off to catch the 22:48. Miss that? Next train at 05:29.

Last train to Sea Mills/Severn Beach etc? 22:16

If there's no agreements in place to offer extended services (and we know that FGW/GWR fall apart easily under pressure) and you simply do not have a public transport destination.

• Like 2

The only effing things that gets built in this City is cycle lanes and guided bus routes.

Put me in charge of this City and AV would have been built with an arena on site, a tram system and a decent bloody local train service.

Is there a possibility a new mayor could come in and look at the plans and decide to change those plans? Causing further delags

4 hours ago, Just Red said:

The only effing things that gets built in this City is cycle lanes and guided bus routes.

Put me in charge of this City and AV would have been built with an arena on site, a tram system and a decent bloody local train service.

Is there a possibility a new mayor could come in and look at the plans and decide to change those plans? Causing further delags

I'd certainly like the opportunity to find out if they would.

• Like 1

"We have also grown the project and are now looking at the regeneration of Temple Meads East and with that comes cost pressures and choices"

No Marv, the built Arena was meant to be the catalyst for additional development and investment in Temple Quarter, it should not be delayed whilst you hum and haw over a pie in the sky master plan.
If you're waiting for investment to redevelop other parts of TM before starting the Arena then it definitely is dead in the water.

• Like 1

Yes just noticed this.  To be fair to George Ferguson, he was dedicated to getting the Arena up and running and I have no doubt he would have seen it through within the timescale if he had been re-elected. This just shows Marvin to be another typical Bristol party politician who will do whatever he can to fail to deliver a fantastic facility, that would drag the city in the 21st century.  Another delay is basically taking us all for a ride, and taking the piss out of us by not delivering something that every major city (except us, naturally) takes for granted.

The amount of money that will be generated for the local economy is phenomenal, as all the media statements from the Council have always alluded to.  Has that suddenly changed? We are losing money every day we don't have an arena.  Shame on you Marvin.

But at least we might have some power boat racing in the docks, that really is giving the people what they want!!  Wasn't that scrapped because of the number of fatalities?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tomarse said:

it's likely to be 2-3 times over the original budget.. maybe wise to review the project. Can't see it getting binned given the work so far. Maybe a cheaper version? 

It'll just drag on and on and surely the likelihood of it NOT happening grows ever more probable. 

15 hours ago, Tomarse said:

it's likely to be 2-3 times over the original budget.. maybe wise to review the project. Can't see it getting binned given the work so far. Maybe a cheaper version? 

Or turned over to housing? Expensive bridge built that goes no where at the moment. I thought something was up when little or no work was being done. Cardiff is taking all the Arena trade from Bristol at the moment, my daughter is going there 4or 5 times before Christmas to see bands that we just can't cater for, and not huge bands either.

• Admin
1 hour ago, RedM said:

Or turned over to housing? Expensive bridge built that goes no where at the moment. I thought something was up when little or no work was being done. Cardiff is taking all the Arena trade from Bristol at the moment, my daughter is going there 4or 5 times before Christmas to see bands that we just can't cater for, and not huge bands either.

Not sure it would be financially viable for housing. The land is pretty dirty so cleaning up for residential probably not worth it and also the noise from the railway. The enterprise zone will still pop up around it 

34 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Not sure it would be financially viable for housing. The land is pretty dirty so cleaning up for residential probably not worth it and also the noise from the railway. The enterprise zone will still pop up around it 

Man of the people has promised 2000 homes a year though. I could absolutely see a mixed used scheme replacing the arena, it's want I hinted at with my plug pulling comment.

Red Trousers may have been/is a ****, but he's far more likely to make something happen than a guy who's track record is "NHS administrator".