IGNORED

Bristol Arena (Merged)

TomF

On 08/10/2016 at 13:50, Esmond Million's Bung said:

A man even farther out of his depth than Ferguson ever was.

I asked you to stand for Mayor and you declined.

I blame you, EMB, for being a ****ing coward and not standing.

We could have had this sorted years ago with you at the helm.

History WILL judge you.

:nono:

Uncle TFR

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 09:38, Bat Fastard said:

No parking and in a congested part of the City. Crap train services to towns within 75 miles (e.g. Taunton!) - they should have done a deal with SL and been part of a huge complex at Ashton Vale!

*This scheme is half baked!

* baked ?

what an odd way to spell  ...  * fcuked !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For better or worse one possible and quite likely reason that it's by Temple Meads is so that people coming here from outside the city have some ease of access.- think about it, train in, get off at Temple Meads, arena nearby. Also to rejuvenate that area.

Which is brilliant if the train service exists... but the planning documents say they don't for many likely visitors.

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Which is brilliant if the train service exists... but the planning documents say they don't for many likely visitors.

I am, was thinking further afield- let's say Birmingham, London (unlikely I know) Cardiff, Swansea- that's the only compelling case for it there I can think of- though Ashton Vale would have had hit and miss accessibility. Trains in this region are not great though so I generally agree.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am, was thinking further afield- let's say Birmingham, London (unlikely I know) Cardiff, Swansea- that's the only compelling case for it there I can think of- though Ashton Vale would have had hit and miss accessibility. Trains in this region are not great though so I generally agree.

You might be forgiven for thinking that they should sort out the trains if they want the project to succeed.  I have had to drive to Bristol to pick up my son and friends because the last train was 10.30pm - just about the time the concert was finishing, with no time to get to the station. If they have large numbers of events, then the trains would be heavily utilised and it would be profitable for the rail companies.  It needs a semi-efficient executive to get on the case!  Colin Sexstone!!

11 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

You might be forgiven for thinking that they should sort out the trains if they want the project to succeed.  I have had to drive to Bristol to pick up my son and friends because the last train was 10.30pm - just about the time the concert was finishing, with no time to get to the station. If they have large numbers of events, then the trains would be heavily utilised and it would be profitable for the rail companies.  It needs a semi-efficient executive to get on the case!  Colin Sexstone!!

Yeah, agreed- our rail and bus network is First, nuff said. I remember when I was over in London way, or Sutton or something and it did an announcement that a train was delayed...when it was a First Parent Company (Capital Connect I think) I just laughed. Gotta be the worst train company in the nation.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, agreed- our rail and bus network is First, nuff said. I remember when I was over in London way, or Sutton or something and it did an announcement that a train was delayed...when it was a First Parent Company (Capital Connect I think) I just laughed. Gotta be the worst train company in the nation.

I thought that the public transport in London was pretty good most of the time.  The strikes and industrial "action" was a pain because it seemed to occur quite often.  Since the passing of the late, great Bob Crow, the £150k pa council tenant, hopefully things will have improved.  I know that huge amounts of cash were invested in the network and that improvements were obvious - London Bridge Station, for example, and Bank.

The London type of network would be impossible in Bristol because the fundamentals in London were laid out when it was much smaller.  To undertake a venture like this in Bristol would be hugely expensive and the disruption would last a lifetime.  The problem that I see with Bristol is that none of the transport system appears to be both linked up and functional.  Even getting a station at Ashton Gate cause a big whoha because of a few £million, that would continue to benefit the travelling public for the next hundred years or more.  The crowds for the rugby and football would seem to indicate that there would be up to 50 major sporting events + concerts and the like and other events.  Good transport could take many thousands of cars off the roads and ensure a better experience for those attending.  Once back to Bristol TM - the trains should then easily take passengers to all points within (say) 70 miles of Bristol - and the services should be frequent and reliable to save stress of the fear of being stranded.  I doubt if this would be that hard to sort out - if there was a will!  There should be an overarching individual responsible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I thought that the public transport in London was pretty good most of the time.  The strikes and industrial "action" was a pain because it seemed to occur quite often.  Since the passing of the late, great Bob Crow, the £150k pa council tenant, hopefully things will have improved.  I know that huge amounts of cash were invested in the network and that improvements were obvious - London Bridge Station, for example, and Bank.

The London type of network would be impossible in Bristol because the fundamentals in London were laid out when it was much smaller.  To undertake a venture like this in Bristol would be hugely expensive and the disruption would last a lifetime.  The problem that I see with Bristol is that none of the transport system appears to be both linked up and functional.  Even getting a station at Ashton Gate cause a big whoha because of a few £million, that would continue to benefit the travelling public for the next hundred years or more.  The crowds for the rugby and football would seem to indicate that there would be up to 50 major sporting events + concerts and the like and other events.  Good transport could take many thousands of cars off the roads and ensure a better experience for those attending.  Once back to Bristol TM - the trains should then easily take passengers to all points within (say) 70 miles of Bristol - and the services should be frequent and reliable to save stress of the fear of being stranded.  I doubt if this would be that hard to sort out - if there was a will!  There should be an overarching individual responsible.

South Eastern and London is quite good in my experience, admittedly I don't or haven't commuted on it but significantly better than our own First 'Great' Western. I agree about the transport too, needs improving all round here.Agree too about the zie, why it isn't possible here for a London type network- but then I remember someone told me that a 'Super Tram' was pledged in Bristol like early 80s and it never happened..Definitely the transport system is fragmented, no doubt,

Ah of course @phantom how could I forget them? Still it sounds like there's like exceptional circs and has been for ages- when there isn't rolling disruption and strikes, say in 'normal' circs is it better? Surely.

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

South Eastern and London is quite good in my experience, admittedly I don't or haven't commuted on it but significantly better than our own First 'Great' Western. I agree about the transport too, needs improving all round here.Agree too about the zie, why it isn't possible here for a London type network- but then I remember someone told me that a 'Super Tram' was pledged in Bristol like early 80s and it never happened..Definitely the transport system is fragmented, no doubt,

Ah of course @phantom how could I forget them? Still it sounds like there's like exceptional circs and has been for ages- when there isn't rolling disruption and strikes, say in 'normal' circs is it better? Surely.

I suppose that the roads in Bristol once used to take trams, so it might be possible to find routes.  To help transport people for the Arena and the sports venues, it would need to take large numbers and the network would have to be far reaching.  With the current cash situation, this won't happen anytime soon!  I'm not sure how much traffic the Metrobus routes can take.  The cannot (as far as I am aware) overtake each other, so may be prone to holdups through breakdowns.  It seems unlikely that they could transport thousands to and from the Arena or Ashton Gate. 

9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I suppose that the roads in Bristol once used to take trams, so it might be possible to find routes.  To help transport people for the Arena and the sports venues, it would need to take large numbers and the network would have to be far reaching.  With the current cash situation, this won't happen anytime soon!  I'm not sure how much traffic the Metrobus routes can take.  The cannot (as far as I am aware) overtake each other, so may be prone to holdups through breakdowns.  It seems unlikely that they could transport thousands to and from the Arena or Ashton Gate. 

Proper local rail network, large station, large capacity would be ideal I think. Metrobus who knows but I am not expecting great things.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Proper local rail network, large station, large capacity would be ideal I think. Metrobus who knows but I am not expecting great things.

I dont pretend to understand the concept behind MetroBus, but it seems to be something that can carry 30 or so passengers every 15 or 20 minutes.  Given that some of the seats would already be occupied, it would seem ill suited for the purposes of mass transit.  Of course it may be that it could take that number every 2 or 3 minutes, in which case I should maybe apologise to George Ferguson.  Even then it would not make a vast difference to a "sell out" crowd.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Need a Bristol 2040-50 plan. A city wide plan of how the city will look, from 2040 no new building, planning or renovations on property other than in adherence to the plan. As of 2050 one section at a time of the city cleared and rebuilt as needed, if you own property you swap it for similar property in the new city or lose it. Gives people 23-33 years of ownership as currently stands (with 10 years restricted on what you can do) and after that your property is taken and your compensated in like.

I feel the inner Stalin in me breaking out !!   But in all seriousness, unless building new cities, it's hard to see how things will change anymore over the next 50 years as it has the last 50.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Need a Bristol 2040-50 plan. A city wide plan of how the city will look, from 2040 no new building, planning or renovations on property other than in adherence to the plan. As of 2050 one section at a time of the city cleared and rebuilt as needed, if you own property you swap it for similar property in the new city or lose it. Gives people 23-33 years of ownership as currently stands (with 10 years restricted on what you can do) and after that your property is taken and your compensated in like.

I feel the inner Stalin in me breaking out !!   But in all seriousness, unless building new cities, it's hard to see how things will change anymore over the next 50 years as it has the last 50.   

I sympathise with the clarity of your vision.  Maybe that is why Russia keeps flirting with nuclear war - they could rebuild their cities with better infrastructure!

Maybe the waterways in Bristol could be better adapted and utilised?  Maybe some overhead system? Maybe better use of the very old rail network, which they seem to be thinking about?  The problem is, how the hell would you integrate it?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I sympathise with the clarity of your vision.  Maybe that is why Russia keeps flirting with nuclear war - they could rebuild their cities with better infrastructure!

Maybe the waterways in Bristol could be better adapted and utilised?  Maybe some overhead system? Maybe better use of the very old rail network, which they seem to be thinking about?

*The problem is, how the hell would you integrate it?

* turn the City transport integration problem into an online 'game' with a 'budget of gold's' and bonus points for thriftiness...

I bet a whole bunch of kids would solve it in no time at all and have a healthy amount of unspent 'gold's' in the bank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

* turn the City transport integration problem into an online 'game' with a 'budget of gold's' and bonus points for thriftiness...

I bet a whole bunch of kids would solve it in no time at all and have a healthy amount of unspent 'gold's' in the bank.

I attempted Bristol on city skylines (enjoyed playing the game for a while) it was fun incorporating the Severn/Avon into the city and rerouting the motorways and rail network. I used a grid like system with lots of green spaces, parks / social / cafe hubs with urban walking paths to help getting around all linked by light rail. The game is great fun if you like to while away days of your lie without realising where the time has gone

Someone did an amazing replica of Barcelona

ScreenShot_20161018165729.png

ScreenShot_20161018165707.png

ScreenShot_20161018165642.png

ScreenShot_20161018165614.png

ScreenShot_20161018165551.png

ScreenShot_20161018165533.png

ScreenShot_20161018165516.png

ScreenShot_20161018165459.png

ScreenShot_20161018165441.png

ScreenShot_20161018165419.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I attempted Bristol on city skylines (enjoyed playing the game for a while) it was fun incorporating the Severn/Avon into the city and rerouting the motorways and rail network. I used a grid like system with lots of green spaces, parks / social / cafe hubs with urban walking paths to help getting around all linked by light rail. The game is great fun if you like to while away days of your lie without realising where the time has gone

Someone did an amazing replica of Barcelona

ScreenShot_20161018165729.png

ScreenShot_20161018165707.png

ScreenShot_20161018165642.png

ScreenShot_20161018165614.png

ScreenShot_20161018165551.png

ScreenShot_20161018165533.png

ScreenShot_20161018165516.png

ScreenShot_20161018165459.png

ScreenShot_20161018165441.png

ScreenShot_20161018165419.png

I love that game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

More delays set to be announced, on top of the additional 3 years mentioned a few weeks back there is ANOTHER three year delay on top of that too now !

Frankly I'm pretty shocked at this news. I expect the mayor is putting his mind to sorting out our matchday parking before tackling the arena!