Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TomF

Bristol Arena (Merged)

48 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I attempted Bristol on city skylines (enjoyed playing the game for a while) it was fun incorporating the Severn/Avon into the city and rerouting the motorways and rail network. I used a grid like system with lots of green spaces, parks / social / cafe hubs with urban walking paths to help getting around all linked by light rail. The game is great fun if you like to while away days of your lie without realising where the time has gone

Someone did an amazing replica of Barcelona

ScreenShot_20161018165729.png

ScreenShot_20161018165707.png

ScreenShot_20161018165642.png

ScreenShot_20161018165614.png

ScreenShot_20161018165551.png

ScreenShot_20161018165533.png

ScreenShot_20161018165516.png

ScreenShot_20161018165459.png

ScreenShot_20161018165441.png

ScreenShot_20161018165419.png

I love that game. 

• Like 1

More delays set to be announced, on top of the additional 3 years mentioned a few weeks back there is ANOTHER three year delay on top of that too now !

3 hours ago, phantom said:

More delays set to be announced, on top of the additional 3 years mentioned a few weeks back there is ANOTHER three year delay on top of that too now !

Frankly I'm pretty shocked at this news. I expect the mayor is putting his mind to sorting out our matchday parking before tackling the arena!

They didn't appointment a project manager to ensure costs didn't spiral, colour me surprised.

I think the biggest problem with the council isn't the councillors, it's the low energy unqualified goons that they have running the show.  

Having been feted by several Headhunters to come and work on the project as "a last hurrah" I am feeling a tad pissed off with all concerned.

Edited by BigTone

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Having been feted by several Headhunters to come and work on the project as "a last hurrah" I am feeling a tad pissed off with all concerned.

You'd have to live to a ripe old age to see this project through.........

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Can we fit one in on the Wickes site?

Not on this size/scale and I think the locals would go nuts at suggestion given parking/traffic mayhem around that way. 

51 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Not on this size/scale and I think the locals would go nuts at suggestion given parking/traffic mayhem around that way. 

Oh I don`t know. Just let all the local hipsters know that it`s going to be opened with a concert by Mumford & Sons and they`ll all be right behind it.

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

If it was possible it would be great. I remember there being rumours of an arena at Av so maybe we could see a scaled down version at AG? The area is use to having big crowds so would be more suitable than TM imo. When I went to the rugby the other week with 12k rhere I think? It seemed like a ghost town and traffic was light.

Add on the metro bus and possible rail station then it would be perfect, size permitting. 

Bristol doesn't get the wads of cash thrust at it that Cardiff does.......... which might not be a bad thing, would you trust BCC to use it wisely if they did!!

• Like 1

Bristol.

Motto: Virtute et Industria

Roughly translated as: I'll believe it when I see it.

Bristol.

Otherwise known as the graveyard of dreams.

What an absolute farce this city is when it comes to building. So the choice is changing the design with less seats. Or scrapping it all together. I'm going to bet on the second choice. What a shambles 

28 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

What an absolute farce this city is when it comes to building. So the choice is changing the design with less seats. Or scrapping it all together. I'm going to bet on the second choice. What a shambles 

Spent a fortune on a nice bridge to nowhere next to Temple Meads though :yawn:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Anyone know a man with a bit of money? Looking to build a sporting and social empire in Bristol?

:pray::pray:

Not only that but in South Bristol area that in the past was overlooked for facilities and jobs by our council... after all when your onto a sure thing, why buy them chocolate and flowers ?

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

Not only that but in South Bristol area that in the past was overlooked for facilities and jobs by our council... after all when your onto a sure thing, why buy them chocolate and flowers ?

With great transport links via a MetroBus no one wants to operate.

Ah, traffic nightmare - as caused by...? Anyone we can think of? Perhaps a cunning plan by former city servants. With red trousers, possibly?

Conspiracy! Conspiracy!

Over to you Mr Lansdown. The council are incapable of building one for the good of the city so perhaps you could build one as part of your empire and all the money the council would have made you can plough back into our football club.

• Like 5

I think we offered to build a music venue as part of the Ashton Vale development for nothing but 'Red Trousers' scuppered the whole project, the Council though they could make a better job of it

I thought George Ferguson was bad but Marvellous Marvin Rees has taken talking bullsh*t whilst doing absolutely nothing to a whole new level.The bloke is completely out of his depth.*

The City is crying out for an arena, next door to Temple Meads would be ideal but we will still be having the same conversation next decade

*Does anybody else know where you RESIGN from your job you have it in your contract that you are entitled to 6 months payment in lieu of notice as happened to the latest Bristol CEO.

Unbelievable 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it could host the basketball too, or have a second area which could it might well fit into the Bristol Sport business model too...

21 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

It's what sl wanted to build at Ashton vale built into the new stadium 

shame some dog walkers did not want it 

The question was and still is what dog walkers??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think we offered to build a music venue as part of the Ashton Vale development for nothing but 'Red Trousers' scuppered the whole project, the Council though they could make a better job of it

I think he had his own idea for an arena by TM so whilst he was in power and that was his baby we weren't going to get anything, and nor was anyone else. Yes our stadium could hold outdoor concerts in the summer, but the window is only for about 3 weeks I believe. We desperately need something for this city. In recent months I have gone to Cardiff and London more than Bristol, and off to Birmingham next month to see a gig, shocking. 

A multipurpose arena is a must and I would love it to be on the Wickes/Dreams site. Sports and concerts, hotel and parking. Transport links with the metro bus. What can possibly go wrong!

And yes I agree about Marvin. I didn't vote for him this time (for the first time in my life I couldn't be arsed to vote for any of them)but I did when he was up against George. I thought he was one of the good guys, how wrong I was. At least George for all his faults had passion, this bloke is just a limp lettuce. Makes my blood boil when I visit other cities and towns who manage everything better than us.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I thought George Ferguson was bad but Marvellous Marvin Rees has taken talking bullsh*t whilst doing absolutely nothing to a whole new level.The bloke is completely out of his depth.*

The City is crying out for an arena, next door to Temple Meads would be ideal but we will still be having the same conversation next decade

*Does anybody else know where you RESIGN from your job you have it in your contract that you are entitled to 6 months payment in lieu of notice as happened to the latest Bristol CEO.

Unbelievable 

it was the correct decision to be fair, it should of never been at temple meads, the transport links aren't there (use the train and thats it), there is no parking and the cost of an inner city development doesn't justifiy it,

It should of always been in filton from day one (this time around), and we are suffering for Red Trousers like on insight planning and greed

Edited by Monkeh

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it was the correct decision to be fair, it should of never been at temple meads, the transport links aren't there, there is no parking and the cost of an inner city development doesn't justifiy it,

It should of always been in filton from day one (this time around), and we are suffering for Red Trousers like on insight planning and greed

Arenas tend to be fairly central in general though, don't they? I mean not bang in the centre but reasonably accessible from central areas nonetheless.

Filton is a bit of an oddity in this context. Look up arenas in most other UK cities.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Arenas tend to be fairly central in general though, don't they? I mean not bang in the centre but reasonably accessible from central areas nonetheless.

Filton is an oddity in this context. Look up arenas in most other UK cities.

They do, The Motorpoint Arena is in a disastrous area traffic wise in Cardiff and the train links from Cardiff to Bristol and other surrounding areas are shockingly bad too; people put up with it though. I think whatever you do if you're building something to host 10k people all arriving and leaving around the same time you are always going to create massive congestion for an hour or so before and an hour or so after. It's just a necessary evil; one you aren't going to eradicate or mitigate that much in a city which has as it's main exit a glorified A road (M32).

I think the original plans are far to grand for our needs. Do we need a Sydney opera house? A more functional building would be considerably cheaper. Does the look of the outside make that much difference?

I couldn't believe it when I saw the front of the Post, how much more inept can this ******* council get.
Spend Millions on a sight, planning , feasibility studies , only to mothball it. Then bring it back out more plans, and this time with parking ! 25 spaces wasn't it !!! For a 10-15k stadium , you couldn't make it up. Now they want to move it to Filton??  Next to TM is at least next to a mainline station , add parking = perfect . I don't understand how council's come and go and yet nothing changes , they're just the same bunch of small minded do nothing, self serving incompetents that they've always been. 

16 minutes ago, 29AR said:

They do, The Motorpoint Arena is in a disastrous area traffic wise in Cardiff and the train links from Cardiff to Bristol and other surrounding areas are shockingly bad too; people put up with it though. I think whatever you do if you're building something to host 10k people all arriving and leaving around the same time you are always going to create massive congestion for an hour or so before and an hour or so after. It's just a necessary evil; one you aren't going to eradicate or mitigate that much in a city which has as it's main exit a glorified A road (M32).

We do like our cars...especially here I guess. Saw this online. Also we have shitty public transport.

DODbyQwWAAATkOO.jpg

Yeah maybe with that in mind, Filton would be the best site...I bet the figures for ours...:laugh: 14% car??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think he had his own idea for an arena by TM so whilst he was in power and that was his baby we weren't going to get anything, and nor was anyone else. Yes our stadium could hold outdoor concerts in the summer, but the window is only for about 3 weeks I believe. We desperately need something for this city. In recent months I have gone to Cardiff and London more than Bristol, and off to Birmingham next month to see a gig, shocking. 

A multipurpose arena is a must and I would love it to be on the Wickes/Dreams site. Sports and concerts, hotel and parking. Transport links with the metro bus. What can possibly go wrong!

And yes I agree about Marvin. I didn't vote for him this time (for the first time in my life I couldn't be arsed to vote for any of them)but I did when he was up against George. I thought he was one of the good guys, how wrong I was. At least George for all his faults had passion, this bloke is just a limp lettuce. Makes my blood boil when I visit other cities and towns who manage everything better than us.

This is the height of selfishness. What about the dog walkers in Cardiff, London and Birmingham? They have to come to Bristol now to walk their dogs. Only the other day I came across a chap from Brum cussing blime he was coz he had to come to Bristol to walk his dog because dog walking areas had been swallowed up by arenas, stadia, shopping malls, entertainment parks and industrial units. Shocking!

• Haha 2

Now the site is up for grabs surely the Gas got to get in there?!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I couldn't believe it when I saw the front of the Post, how much more inept can this ******* council get.
Spend Millions on a sight, planning , feasibility studies , only to mothball it. Then bring it back out more plans, and this time with parking ! 25 spaces wasn't it !!! For a 10-15k stadium , you couldn't make it up. Now they want to move it to Filton??  Next to TM is at least next to a mainline station , add parking = perfect . I don't understand how council's come and go and yet nothing changes , they're just the same bunch of small minded do nothing, self serving incompetents that they've always been. 

And they must have spent millions on that access bridge never mind all the time wasted. Imcompetence. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We do like our cars...especially here I guess. Saw this online.

DODbyQwWAAATkOO.jpg

Yeah maybe with that in mind, Filton would be the best site...I bet the figures for ours...:laugh: 14% car??

What about the people flying  in?

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

And they must have spent millions on that access bridge never mind all the time wasted. Imcompetence. 

12 million i think

• Sad 1

As we sing to our Welsh friends;

"They should have built a wall and not a bridge"

Bristol City Council and George Ferguson built a bridge costing £2m onto a derelict site which now may never house the arena :grr:

Talk about a road to nowhere! Madness.

5 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Bristol City Council and George Ferguson built a bridge costing £2m onto a derelict site which now may never house the arena :grr:

Will open that area up to be the parking area for the new uni building being built on the old Royal Mail property

9 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I think it was Talking Heads, but I get your point :whistle:

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Thoroughly disagree with this.

Rail links to Cardiff from Bristol are great, trains regularly and on time every hour.

Plenty of multi story car parking in Cardiff, always with spaces on concert nights.

Naturally 10k people going to some sort of gig or comedy gig all arriving/leaving around the same time naturally going to cause congestion, that is the same anywhere in the UK. But to say Cardiff doesn't have the infrastructure simply isn't true. Compared to Bristol they are light-years ahead of us. 1 minor crash in Hotwells or the Cumberland basin is enough to bring this City to a standstill.

• Like 4