Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TomF

Bristol Arena (Merged)

12 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Thoroughly disagree with this.

Rail links to Cardiff from Bristol are great, trains regularly and on time every hour.

Plenty of multi story car parking in Cardiff, always with spaces on concert nights.

Naturally 10k people going to some sort of gig or comedy gig all arriving/leaving around the same time naturally going to cause congestion, that is the same anywhere in the UK. But to say Cardiff doesn't have the infrastructure simply isn't true. Compared to Bristol they are light-years ahead of us. 1 minor crash in Hotwells or the Cumberland basin is enough to bring this City to a standstill.

Me too. For an event at the Cardiff arena the last time I went a month or so ago there was a train back to TM at 10.40pm and the last one was 11.20pm. I didn't make the earlier one as the concert didn't finish until 10.45pm, but easily got the last train. It was crowded but everyone got on. I think there should have been more carriages or probably idea to have another train after. For big events at the Mill Stadium or principality I think it is called now there are extra trains put on and a barriered queueing system. As you say plenty of car parks and also a choice of places to eat and drink nearby. 

I think if I was a stranger to our city I would expect to find our Arena within easy walking distance of the train/bus station and the town centre. Not Filton!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

Me too. For an event at the Cardiff arena the last time I went a month or so ago there was a train back to TM at 10.40pm and the last one was 11.20pm. I didn't make the earlier one as the concert didn't finish until 10.45pm, but easily got the last train. It was crowded but everyone got on. I think there should have been more carriages or probably idea to have another train after. For big events at the Mill Stadium or principality I think it is called now there are extra trains put on and a barriered queueing system. As you say plenty of car parks and also a choice of places to eat and drink nearby. 

I think if I was a stranger to our city I would expect to find our Arena within easy walking distance of the train/bus station and the town centre. Not Filton!!!

Agree very much so with this.

Especially the last line!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

it was the correct decision to be fair, it should of never been at temple meads, the transport links aren't there (use the train and thats it), there is no parking and the cost of an inner city development doesn't justifiy it,

It should of always been in filton from day one (this time around), and we are suffering for Red Trousers like on insight planning and greed

Disagree with this on so many levels. Other than the fact Filton has a building big enough to house an arena, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have it there.

You suggest TM does not have the transport links.....uh? Mainline station, M32, major A roads, central bus terminals, sufficient parking provision within 10/15 minutes walk .......Jesus, you can even get a ferry to TQ!

The transport links for Filton is essentially the car! People from all over Bristol and beyond will descend en masse into and through North Bristol in what is already a gridlocked area and that's even before they build a whole new town on the airfield site. People taking the bus would in the most part have to get two buses towards an area that does not have many if any bus lane provision. And before you mention the rail link, lets be clear on this (in my best MA accent), people have been trying to get this line up and running for commuter use for years and I don't see this changing any time soon, even with the impending airfield development. 

All other 'core cities' have an arena... Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool, Cardiff which are situated in the centre or central area and as such have direct, local access to bus networks and car parks. Most of them don't have the added bonus of a mainline rail link next door. Type the name of the city and "arena" into google maps to see for yourself.........type "Bristol arena" and you get some frigging hairdressers in Gordano! Embarrassing :facepalm: 

As much as I dislike Red Trousers, I would have preferred for him to have pushed TM through at the cost at the time rather than leave it in the hands of the totally incompetent and out-of-his-depth Marv who clearly is going to end up consigning this project to the overloaded dustbin of failed large projects in Bristol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Disagree with this on so many levels. Other than the fact Filton has a building big enough to house an arena, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have it there.

You suggest TM does not have the transport links.....uh? Mainline station, M32, major A roads, central bus terminals, sufficient parking provision within 10/15 minutes walk .......Jesus, you can even get a ferry to TQ!

The transport links for Filton is essentially the car! People from all over Bristol and beyond will descend en masse into and through North Bristol in what is already a gridlocked area and that's even before they build a whole new town on the airfield site. People taking the bus would in the most part have to get two buses towards an area that does not have many if any bus lane provision. And before you mention the rail link, lets be clear on this (in my best MA accent), people have been trying to get this line up and running for commuter use for years and I don't see this changing any time soon, even with the impending airfield development. 

All other 'core cities' have an arena... Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool, Cardiff which are situated in the centre or central area and as such have direct, local access to bus networks and car parks. Most of them don't have the added bonus of a mainline rail link next door. Type the name of the city and "arena" into google maps to see for yourself.........type "Bristol arena" and you get some frigging hairdressers in Gordano! Embarrassing :facepalm: 

As much as I dislike Red Trousers, I would have preferred for him to have pushed TM through at the cost at the time rather than leave it in the hands of the totally incompetent and out-of-his-depth Marv who clearly is going to end up consigning this project to the overloaded dustbin of failed large projects in Bristol.

Mainline station yes but what are the availability of late trains, what are the station into bristol and the surrounding areas? next to none compared to Birmingham and cardiff, the bus station is a 20 minute walk, never on time if it turns up at all, the road links are woefully inadequate (have you driven in the city at rush hour?) and where is the parking?,

Compare that to all the other citys you talk about, they have tram links parking a more reliable bus service,

If Bristol had the infustructure then yes the centre would be the correct choice, but the decades of neglect and frankly crap transport polices polices of this council (long before red trousers and Marv) have to be questioned,

£123 million was quoted to build the Arena, the costs have trebled since then, 

Do you want to build it at any cost?

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Mainline station yes but what are the availability of late trains, what are the station into bristol and the surrounding areas? next to none compared to Birmingham and cardiff, the bus station is a 20 minute walk, never on time if it turns up at all, the road links are woefully inadequate (have you driven in the city at rush hour?) and where is the parking?,

Compare that to all the other citys you talk about, they have tram links parking a more reliable bus service,

If Bristol had the infustructure then yes the centre would be the correct choice, but the decades of neglect and frankly crap transport polices polices of this council (long before red trousers and Marv) have to be questioned,

Do you want to build it at any cost?

This is all very true.

No fan of the council though I am, of any of them, Government funding has surely been lacking compared to certain other areas for transport infrastructure...

That plays its part. Though that feeds into MPs and local government not pitching very well as part of it, so it's all linked IMO.

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

And you think Filton is a better choice because...........?

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Fake news!

£90 million originally quoted, now stated as £123 million

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

And you think Filton is a better choice because...........?

Fake news!

£90 million originally quoted, now stated as £123 million

the transport links going in now and in the future (rail), and the space to develop 

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Thoroughly disagree with this.

Rail links to Cardiff from Bristol are great, trains regularly and on time every hour.

Plenty of multi story car parking in Cardiff, always with spaces on concert nights.

Naturally 10k people going to some sort of gig or comedy gig all arriving/leaving around the same time naturally going to cause congestion, that is the same anywhere in the UK. But to say Cardiff doesn't have the infrastructure simply isn't true. Compared to Bristol they are light-years ahead of us. 1 minor crash in Hotwells or the Cumberland basin is enough to bring this City to a standstill.

Thoroughly disagree with this haha :)

Rail links are bad because the last trains are 10.30 and 11.30. Usually this means everyone has to hit the 11.30 train which is too congested and also takes 1hr40m.... from Cardiff just to temple meads - what it takes from Bristol to London! 

Car parking you're spot on, and it is very cheap too. But Cardiff is equally as bad as Bristol for traffic - from experience I have lived for years in both. One accident on the Newport road and it's jam packed - much like us and the Cumberland. 

I think we both have the infrastructure (or lack of). Cardiff just accepts it. Rugby internationals, stadium gigs, metropolitan gigs, they all wreak havoc, but everyone accepts it as a price worth paying, as I would and did when living there. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the transport links going in now and in the future (rail), and the space to develop 

Interested to know what transport links you think are going in now or in the future. As a local worker and resident close enough to this site, I can assure you there will not be adequate transport links developed for the the new town let alone a new arena on top

17 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Interested to know what transport links you think are going in now or in the future. As a local worker and resident close enough to this site, I can assure you there will not be adequate transport links developed for the the new town let alone a new arena on top

henbury loop and the new stations for one,  which all comes as part of the filton 4 track scheme 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

henbury loop and the new stations for one,  which all comes as part of the filton 4 track scheme 

So, you think that a rail service that doesn’t currently exist, even with all the benefits it would currently bring to Bristol’s chronic transport problems, is

a) going to actually happen and

b) somehow provide a better rail link than what mainline temple meads station could offer

If they even re-opened the Henbury loop (which is currently not even on the table), how many services would actually go in and out of the Filton site, especially late in the evening. You would end up with hundreds of people stranded in north bristol, miles from any alternative transport options

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The Filton arena?

Benefits to the economy and infra structure of Bristol? About nil.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Incidentally, is Filton even Bristol?

Tenuous at best IMO. South Gloucs is more likely for Filton.

From a administrative point of view, the site in question is most definitely in the City of Bristol so would have direct commercial benefits to Bristol.

What Filton is depends on your own viewpoint.....it is a suburb of the extended urban area of Bristol but formally comes under the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire. 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

From a administrative point of view, the site in question is most definitely in the City of Bristol so would have direct commercial benefits to Bristol.

What Filton is depends on your own viewpoint.....it is a suburb of the extended urban area of Bristol but formally comes under the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire. 

I still say it's tenuous so kinda agree with phantom. Not really fully considered it part of either.

Just googled it and it suggests Filton Airfield is Patchway. One search result says Bristol, one says South Gloucs...

Then again though, even Weston Super Mare (Mud) has a BS postcode and nobody could class that as Bristol! BS99? Very very tenuous I still think.

36 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

So, you think that a rail service that doesn’t currently exist, even with all the benefits it would currently bring to Bristol’s chronic transport problems, is

a) going to actually happen and

b) somehow provide a better rail link than what mainline temple meads station could offer

If they even re-opened the Henbury loop (which is currently not even on the table), how many services would actually go in and out of the Filton site, especially late in the evening. You would end up with hundreds of people stranded in north bristol, miles from any alternative transport options

I can assure you it is on the table as part of the metro west project

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I still say it's tenuous so kinda agree with phantom. Not really fully considered it part of either.

Just googled it and it suggests Filton Airfield is Patchway. One search result says Bristol, one says South Gloucs...

Then again though, even Weston Super Mare (Mud) has a BS postcode and nobody could class that as Bristol! BS99? Very very tenuous I still think.

OK, the Brabazon Hangers are part of the former 'Filton' Airfield site and historically would be quoted as being in Filton, however, the hangers are actually within the city of Bristol boundaries so are fully fledged BRISTOL, formally based in either Southmead or Brentry....take your pick.

Ironically, "Aerospace Bristol", the new museum to celebrate Bristol's aerospace heritage at  Filton airfield, is stated as being at Patchway, Bristol.   :yawn:

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I can assure you it is on the table as part of the metro west project

Unless that includes a mainline station, it ain’t gonna be a better option than TM.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

In comparison to Temple Meads the socio economic benefit would be low.

An arena at Temple Meads would greatly to Bristol culture and benefit Ashton, Bedminster,  Briz, Totterdown ...

I may be underselling that cultural melting pot of Filton here ... But I doubt it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

it was the correct decision to be fair, it should of never been at temple meads, the transport links aren't there (use the train and thats it), there is no parking and the cost of an inner city development doesn't justifiy it,

It should of always been in filton from day one (this time around), and we are suffering for Red Trousers like on insight planning and greed

Filton has no transport links other than car though?   There is no way they'll find capcity to fit trains on the GWML. Introduce the Henbury Loop and its a possiblity. 

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We do like our cars...especially here I guess. Saw this online. Also we have shitty public transport.

DODbyQwWAAATkOO.jpg

Yeah maybe with that in mind, Filton would be the best site...I bet the figures for ours...:laugh: 14% car??

The thing about trying to encourage cycling in Bristol, is that it’s hardly flat, the hills make it impractical for a lot of people to cycle to work.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The thing about trying to encourage cycling in Bristol, is that it’s hardly flat, the hills make it impractical for a lot of people to cycle to work.

Yeah, true.

My mate from London/South East when he came down for first time in 2013 remarked on just how hilly it was!

Even putting aside cycling though-perhaps the weak link in the chain here, other types of public transport. It's somewhat lacking however...

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, true.

My mate from London/South East when he came down for first time in 2013 remarked on just how hilly it was!

Even putting aside cycling though-perhaps the weak link in the chain here, other types of public transport. It's somewhat lacking however...

I don’t work 9-5 and I work in Swindon, it is impossible for me to get to work for some of my shifts by public transport and for those I can, it’s too time consuming and more expensive than driving - only a little bit more, so I might be tempted if it didn’t take so long.

Rarely use the bus in Bristol, but when I do, it’s just the 376 to get from Whitchurch to Temple Meads or town for a beer, it’s pretty reliable, always comes and not often late.  I might use buses more if they didn’t take so long to get places, they go round the houses too much, to get anywhere, as driving is certainly no pleasure anymore apart from 2200-0600.

Back on topic, can’t see Filton being a good place for an arena, best place has to be by Temple Meads, especially given the work already done.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I don’t work 9-5 and I work in Swindon, it is impossible for me to get to work for some of my shifts by public transport and for those I can, it’s too time consuming and more expensive than driving - only a little bit more, so I might be tempted if it didn’t take so long.

Rarely use the bus in Bristol, but when I do, it’s just the 376 to get from Whitchurch to Temple Meads or town for a beer, it’s pretty reliable, always comes and not often late.  I might use buses more if they didn’t take so long to get places, they go round the houses too much, to get anywhere, as driving is certainly no pleasure anymore apart from 2200-0600.

Back on topic, can’t see Filton being a good place for an arena, best place has to be by Temple Meads, especially given the work already done.

Buses are appalling in this city. Your situation sounds like a car is quite necessary tbh. Trains here are really rather costly too in UK.

No easy fix etc, though I reckon there's a lot of people within Bristol itself who take car journeys unnecessarily when buses, (in some cases not all) bikes, or walking could substitute. Anyway we all have different circs I guess. Still fairly sure I knew someone who drove to work near bus station despite living near waterfront. 

Agreed.Temple Meads seems a significantly better bet, as you say.

15 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Filton has no transport links other than car though?   There is no way they'll find capcity to fit trains on the GWML. Introduce the Henbury Loop and its a possiblity. 

unlike the east coast main line the MLN1 is running at about 75-80% capacity so there is scope,

It all hinges on the henbury loop, they need to change that back to a loop and not a spur ( the spur is happening but the loop I have no info on),

We are talking about 10 years into the future when the planning is finally sorted, there is alot of open space around that air field, and if the council are serious about the arena, they've got the time and the space to put the transport facilities in place,

They just can't do that at the Temple Meads site, there is no room

17 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Unless that includes a mainline station, it ain’t gonna be a better option than TM.

the surround area's around bristol have no train stations full stop

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

unlike the east coast main line the MLN1 is running at about 75-80% capacity so there is scope,

It all hinges on the henbury loop, they need to change that back to a loop and not a spur ( the spur is happening but the loop I have no info on),

We are talking about 10 years into the future when the planning is finally sorted, there is alot of open space around that air field, and if the council are serious about the arena, they've got the time and the space to put the transport facilities in place,

They just can't do that at the Temple Meads site, there is no room

Filton can have all the space in the world.......it isn't going to improve the transport links, with or without Henbury loop running.

It appears you are in a minority of 1 that thinks Filton is a good idea!

17 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Been told by people working on the Temple Meads site that Marvin Rees wants to sell the site to fund an alternative in Filton.

@Three Lions Any idea what they are actually doing on the site at the moment, there have been people working there for a few weeks now, a new temporary road has appeared this week too

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Any idea what they are actually doing on the site at the moment, there have been people working there for a few weeks now, a new temporary road has appeared this week too

Finishing off the basics . The  project team no longer exists. Contractors mainly gone. A skeleton team of six overseeing what is left. The site has nobody really in charge of it as there is no real project left. Rees is now going through consultants.

Edited by Three Lions
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

Finishing off the basics . The  project team no longer exists. Contractors mainly gone. A skeleton team of six overseeing what is left. The site has nobody really in charge of it as there is no real project left. Rees is now going through consultants.

Marvin is a fraud. Does nothing of any note yet crows about his achievements like a schoolboy handing in his homework. Utter joke. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Marvin is a fraud. Does nothing of any note yet crows about his achievements like a schoolboy handing in his homework. Utter joke. 

George is a fraud. Does nothing of any note yet crows about his achievements like a schoolboy handing in his homework. Utter joke. 

1 hour ago, Laner said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41988611

Be interesting to see how quickly (or not) this development takes place in Swindon. 

I'm sure we'll be able to ski in Swindon a long time before being able to watch an arena concert in Bristol.

That area is ready for it to be built - just he ££ to sort I guess

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

@Monkeh George is no longer our Mayor. The Clown aka Marvin has been in charge for the last 18 months. 

the sentence is just as valid as they are both shit but one is trying to clean up the mess of the other, while dealing with the fallout of budget cuts from the govenment

Interesting article (similar ones appear in the Bristol Post and local Cardiff rag) about Peter Kaye refusing to play Cardiff Motorpoint on his stand-up tour as the Bristol arena will be much better (when built!!)  Jason Manford also seems to be refusing to perform in the West Country until we have an arena.  Basically any arena performers are (quite rightly from they and their promoters point of view) not able to bring their tour to this city because of the sheer incompetence of the Mayor.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/peter-kay-wont-visiting-west-801090

The hapless Mayor Marv should be so embarrassed about these sort of comments, that you would think he would pull out all the stops to the bloody thing built asap, but I doubt if he is even aware of this sort of stuff.  Maybe as a way of embarrassing and pressurising the Mayor/Council would be to insist that all promoters of arena tours actually naming a date at the Bristol Arena with a proviso of "subject to construction".:grr:

I hear that Leeds had some kind  of public pressure group to make sure that they got their arena which was later in arriving that most big cities(Bristol obviously being the exception!).

Basically Marvyn is sticking up 2 fingers to all of Bristol and saying "bugger off to Cardiff, Birmingham and Bournemouth, we don't want you spending your money in this great City".  Shame on him.

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Gone from a bloke with all his fingers in a lot of wrong pies to a bloke who can't seem to tie his own shoe laces.Hold my hands up and say I voted for this yes man just to get rid of red trousers so I'm as much to blame as anybody 

But "Achievement No. 15" was inviting kids to play chess in the Council House City Hall so how very dare you talk about our Mayor in such derogatory terms. 

On 11/24/2017 at 16:21, New Dazzler said:

Jason Manford also seems to be refusing to perform in the West Country until we have an arena

Jason has recently performed in both Weston and Bristol and will be at both places again

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:36, Three Lions said:

Like I previously said, why not at least make some use and revenue from the site in the meantime, requiring minimum extra infrastructure, make it a Park & Ride (albeit temporary) linked to the very frequent existing 8/9 bus routes that run through the heart of the city connecting Temple Meads and Clifton/Redland..  ?

Short sighted if Rees is planning to sell the site, an asset to the City, hang in there and eventually it will fulfil its potential, total waste and loss to the Bristol public if its flogged to a developer who would no doubt turn it into more (erm, 'much needed' student accommodation) linked to the old PO Sorting Office.

By the way, did you know that students pay no council tax?  & landlords of student accommodation don't pay business rates? (according to something I heard on radio Bristol a couple if weeks ago) ....

WHY?   No wonder 'Unite' seem to own most of the city already and appear awash with cash for developing even more student accommodation.!

Don't be tempted by a quick cash deal Rees, don't flog it off and lose it at the cost of its future value to the public you represent.. in the meantime until the arena can become a much needed reality gem for Bristol turn it into a revenue earning Park & Ride and at least earn some vitally required cash for the city coffers from what is at the moment an expensive shameful black hole...