IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Cardiff City Match Day Thread

Good morning one and all.

You know there was a time in history when the capital city of the Principality of Wales had only one passion, Rugby Football. Up and down the valleys the cranking and grinding of the pit head wheel was drowned on match day by the rugby faithful roaring on their local team to victory. In the working mens clubs of Ebbw Vale, Carmarthen, Llantrisant and dozens more there was little or no talk of the round ball of team sport. Over a pint of Brains Rugby was the religion. Communities were bound and tied by coal and rugby. It was ever thus and JPR Williams and Gareth Edwards were the heroes. 

Across the old Severn Bridge meanwhile Bristol City were basking in the glory of reaching the First Division. A city capable of sustaining not only a love of football but rugby too. Full houses at Ashton Gate in the Second Division and the top flight were sustained and the norm. The history of support at Ashton Gate tells us that tale.

Around about that time there was a small following of football fans in South Wales supporting Newport and Cardiff. Attendances of less than 5,000 were the norm in decrepit stadiums with few facilities. Few heroes on the national stage, least of all international, could enhance or propel these small clubs to anything other than occasional flurries in league status or a giant killing anomaly. West, along the M4, a brief but spectacular rise of Swansea City with the ageing legends of Liverpool ensured Cardiff, particularly, were in their very dark shadow.

Something unsettling must have been happening in the sub conscious of those die hard yet small throngs of Cardiff City fans back in those days. And almost to their calling came a 'white knight' from far away Malaysia. From tiny crowds at Ninian Park to a final return to the top flight the 'new' Cardiff lived the dream. For a brief moment in history a glistening new (shed of a ) stadium was packed to welcome the big boys to South Wales. Even the glory of that euphoria, as if by some sign, could Cardiff not enjoy looking down on their country cousins for Swansea had already returned to the top flight. Prophecy of a rival, the distaste of an image of franchisor tinkering with colour and words of 'brand' and ambition beyond even realistic dreams appeared to seal the almost inevitability of relegation. 

The blue returned, the crowds gone and the die hard working class of ex pit worker families have their club, almost, back. Wishful thinking and at what cost?

We must do these true fans of Cardiff City Football Club a favour today; we must beat them and beat them well and, in a small way, help them stay down in the second tier, push the owner closer to the exit door and enable them to consider a ground share with Newport County where they can once again enjoy a full house, this time with a much more realistic 5,000 crowd packed with real die hard fans. So lets win this for them. It is the very least we can do.

2-0. 
Flint and Kodjia.
Who else frankly.
Gorrrrnnnnn.
UTC.

Now then, off to find a place here in KL that might have a Tan sponsored bar covering the match... Will it be blue or will it be red or will they all be confused by it all and wonder what all the fuss of tradition is all about? Probably.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Fiale said:

Good morning - sat here with my coffee and 20 chicken nuggets listening to a chilled Chicago radio station, nice start to the day. Let's hope it continues and we get a win...

20 Chicken nuggets? Very impressive.

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:
We must do these true fans of Cardiff City Football Club a favour today; we must beat them and beat them well and, in a small way, help them stay down in the second tier, push the owner closer to the exit door and enable them to consider a ground share with Newport County where they can once again enjoy a full house, this time with a much more realistic 5,000 crowd packed with real die hard fans. So lets win this for them. It is the very least we can do.

2-0. 
Flint and Kodjia.
Who else frankly.
Gorrrrnnnnn.
UTC.

Great read again, Hava.  Oh, we'll do them a favour today, we'll crush them (at least I bloody hope so)!

City to win 3-1.  Kodjia with all 3.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 1

I know Havanatopia is very much tounge in cheek but I would see Cardiff as the bigger and more successful of the South Wales clubs (though Swansea are challenging that in the last 6-7 years). As for low gates, Cardiff have always been capable of getting a big attendance for the glamorous fixtures. I believe we have a bigger support than Cardiff but there is not a huge amount in it.

• So say the Beeb...
  • http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35659859
  • No Championship side has seen fewer players score a league goal for them this season than Bristol City (10).
  • The way I read this from the BBC web site is that they are saying City have had 10 players score for us this season and that this figure is the fewest number of players of any team in the league.

Excuse my possible ignorance but can somebody help me out here because that is how it reads to me and, assuming I am not a numbskull and have read it correctly, then i fail to believe 10 different players would be the lowest number in the division.

Edited by havanatopia
5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:
  • So say the Beeb...
  • No Championship side has seen fewer players score a league goal for them this season than Bristol City (10).
  • The way I read this from the BBC web site is that they are saying City have had 10 players score for us this season and that this figure is the fewest number of players of any team in the league.

Excuse my possible ignorance but can somebody help me out here because that is how it reads to me and, assuming I am not a numbskull and have read it correctly, then i fail to believe 10 different players would be the lowest number in the division.

I think its an entirely believable figure.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm from Bristol, used to live in Swansea and I'm married into a Cardiff family. Fair to say this game matters to me more than most. Can't wait.

Heart says win, head says draw.

I hope you get the same result as I did against Forest. 

Needless to say texting me at 1-0 wasn't the wisest move my brother in law has ever made!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:
  • So say the Beeb...

That's the way I read it too. 

When you consider how small our squad is and Cotts tendency to use the same starting eleven then it does become reasonable. 

Edited by Fordy62
18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That's the way I read it too. 

When you consider how small our squad is and Cotts tendency to use the same starting eleven then it does become reasonable. 

Yeah but the 'lowest' number? more like the highest number. I would put money on it that there are a dozen clubs or more in the Championship who have fewer than 10 players scoring for them.

6 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Yeah but the 'lowest' number? more like the highest number. I would put money on it that there are a dozen clubs or more in the Championship who have fewer than 10 players scoring for them.

Think of it another way...

Its not uncommon for a team to score 3 in a match (unless its us). 

Its probably common that there will be 2 or 3 different scorers in that game alone. And that's one game. 

Multiply it by the 30 odd games we've had this season and it becomes believable. 

We have the smallest squad and have scored very few goals. 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

20 Chicken nuggets? Very impressive.

Great read again, Hava.  Oh, we'll do them a favour today, we'll crush them (at least I bloody hope so)!

City to win 3-1.  Kodjia with all 3.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tending the flock, 2 am pickup duties from Bath. Thought a cheeky McD's drive through was in order on the way back.... 

I spent 7 years living in the Capital of Dragonland. Whilst most of my friends there were fans of the oval ball, I did have a couple who were STH at Cardiff. 

Credit to them that they packed that foolishness in when Tan took over, but our matches with them have always meant good banter between us. 

Doing the predictor a few weeks back, I had this down as a draw. I'll stick with that and go 1-1.

How nice to spend a few minutes looking at the table this morning and be looking up to Leeds, Huddersfield and even up to Reading in 12th! COYR

I was in a 60,000 crowd at Ninian Park for the Cup-Winners Cup SF against Hamburg SV, the highest-ranking club game at which I've been present. Hamburg equalised via Uwe Seeler in the last minute of extra time and went to the final on away goals :( On the way Cardiff City beat Sporting Lisbon and Torpedo Moscow (in Tashkent, would you believe? :o )

I lived in Cardiff for four years and loved it - a nice shithole, perhaps?

Edited by Aizoon
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Think of it another way...

Its not uncommon for a team to score 3 in a match (unless its us). 

Its probably common that there will be 2 or 3 different scorers in that game alone. And that's one game. 

Multiply it by the 30 odd games we've had this season and it becomes believable. 

We have the smallest squad and have scored very few goals. 

My brain is not getting the logic; must be the Asian air.

the article is saying every other team have more than 10 players on their score sheet; that is what i am finding a little hard to believe given last season we had all 11 regulars for us hitting the back of the net and that was more than any other team; this season its 1 player les and we are at the other end of the spectrum.

Oh well. I think i might need to go for a walk and search for brain cell inducing fresh air !