IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Cardiff City Match Day Thread

Really annoyed today at the opportunities that failed to materialise through over playing it. So many times they beat a player or even two for it to open up and then nothing as they either spotted the wrong pass or continued to try and beat either another player or beat the same one again! 

• Like 3

I thought we'd cracked our home form after the 2 games Pembo was in charge (Boro and Brum) where we didn't concede but still looked dangerous going forward with plenty of movement. Now we look like conceding again and little movement up front. Also under Cotts he said max 2 touches before passing and now players are holding onto the ball too long.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I thought we'd cracked our home form after the 2 games Pembo was in charge (Boro and Brum) where we didn't concede but still looked dangerous going forward with plenty of movement. Now we look like conceding again and little movement up front. Also under Cotts he said max 2 touches before passing and now players are holding onto the ball too long.

Should just pretend AG is away from now on, stay in the Avon Gorge, drive up and down the M32 on Thursday for 4 hours etc etc

That was such a frustrating performance against what I thought was a very average Cardiff  team.

We seemed to dominate play for long periods but there was zero end product - lots of bad decision making in the attacking third and we over-complicated our play far too much. We never really looked like we were going to score. They rarely threatened but still managed to get two goals. That naivety that has plagued us for most of the season is still a problem.

Hope the players learn from it and that we pick something up at Wolves.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I didn't see any lack of effort, only lack of quality.

Agreed. We looked like a team that hadn't won in weeks, lacked the confidence to have a go at Cardiff. We should have been buoyant from the Forest game where it seemed we did most things right, including coming back from behind to win the game. Today we were back to hit and hope and mostly play head tennis. I never seen the ball out of play for so much of the game, stop start all game. 

I guess Cardiff did a job on us, we didn't get to play. Relatively early goal and they shut up shop, didn't bother attacking us and probably scored with their only shots on target(?). 

I'm disappointed, Cardiff were poor and we couldn't score against them. I wouldn't want any of their players and I can't see them getting promoted on that showing at all. 

As for our players, they pretty much all had a poor game. They can play much better than this. Yes we missed Korey, Freeman was poor wanting too many touches and inviting players onto him hoping to beat them with a skilful flick which wasn't happening.

Thought we were dreadful today. Absolutely  clueless. A few frustrating things for me...

Kodjia..just not doing enough. 13 goals yes...but as a forward, you need to bring a lot more to a game then he does. He doesn't bring anyone into the game at all

Freeman...I've never known a player with so much natural ability...have such little impact. Hes been the same all season. Truely woeful.

Reid...just not good enough for this level. 

Bryan..a danger that he could become a nearly man. Flattered to deceive all season and hasn't kicked on like we all thought he would. Switched to a new central role which he doesn't seem comfortable in to me. 

Lee Johnson ...I'm gonna have a Robbored  moment here, put my neck on the line and say he isn't going to be good enough. I really don't see any improvement on what we were seeing under Wade and Pemberton.  We look at times like we are over playing it and we go absolutely no where. Time will tell....but can't say I'm filled with confidence .

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Lee Johnson ...I'm gonna have a Robbored  moment here, put my neck on the line and say he isn't going to be good enough. I really don't see any improvement on what we were seeing under Wade and Pemberton.  We look at times like we are over playing it and we go absolutely no where. Time will tell....but can't say I'm filled with confidence 

Under the caretaker team we were pretty much the same as we've been under Johnson so far, i.e. Inconsistent, but better getting better results than under SC.  Yes; we beat Boro and Charlton, and pushed Brum close, but we also were pretty limp against Leeds.

I'm not sure I'm clear on how he'll be long term, but I prefer the form we're in now (reacting well from losses) than before; like after Brighton, I expect a reaction against Wolves, where I wouldn't under SC.  

You've pointed out yourself that certain players simply haven't adapted to this level as well as expected, and LJ has to work with the tools he has, some of which are lacking.  I'm happy to judge him to the same single objective I was SC or would anyone in his seat; keep us up this year, then see what they can do with a summer under their belt.

I would have been delighted with a point today, so am not too upset; trick will be how we line up and approach Wolves on Tuesday.

Edited by samo II
59 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wasn't it always a case of seeing survival through? You didn't think we could do much more before this game?

With an 8 point cushion, it's important we don't let it disappear over the next 3-4 weeks. That's what I meant by seeing survival through now, and not getting carried away by thinking that we can finish much higher up the table.

• Like 1

This game told us nothing new. The effort was there, but there was a lack of class in attacking areas. Freeman did his usual impression of the Oozlum bird, and Reid looked like a young boy playing against men. The basis of a good team is there, but players who are good at running around, but not delivering an end product, have got to go.  

15 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Hard to cheer during that dire first half it was woeful from both sides

There was a decent number of them, densely packed in, and winning the game against a local rival. Says a lot about modern football if we no longer expect any noise under those circumstances.

Edited by ChippenhamRed