IGNORED

The Official Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Assuming Ayling is unfit to play Lee's options for the final player for the team are severely limited. 

Other than Wagstaff he has Pearce, Reid, Little and Williams.

Basically the last four above haven't really cut the custard and are unlikely to be with us next season, wherever we are.  Pearce is a big disappointment and presumably to Ashton and Pemberton as well. Little isn't hacking it, nor is Reid (despite small cameos), and Williams is clearly not rated with departure of SC.  That leaves Wagstaff, who may not set the Thames alight but has seldom let us down and always gives 100%.

43 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Revised Condensed Version (following Havana's blank post)

Wolverhampton:

What the Deep Blue Sea is to The Golden Sandy beach

What Noddy is to music

What Lenny Henry is to comedy

What Jasper is to a carrot

What Fish is to Chips

What Gin is to Tonic

What Joey Essex is to an IQ test

What shit is to a soiled nappy

What the frock ?

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Assuming Ayling is unfit to play Lee's options for the final player for the team are severely limited. 

Basically the last four above haven't really cut the custard and are unlikely to be with us next season, wherever we are.  Pearce is a big disappointment and presumably to Ashton and Pemberton as well. Little isn't hacking it, nor is Reid (despite small cameos), and Williams is clearly not rated with departure of SC.  That leaves Wagstaff, who may not set the Thames alight but has seldom let us down and always gives 100%.

From what I've seen of Pearce, I feel Williams is unlucky not to be ahead of him.

Equally; it is nice to see the team lining up with two actual full backs, not either wing backs or centre backs making do.

And is at least a nice attacking team; we've all been saying we need more goals, and here is to us getting one from someone other than Flint or Kodjia tonight.

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I have to disagree with some bits.

Pearce has played one game, he wasn't great but it would be hard to pick any CB over Flint and Baker right now. They have been pretty solid and it would be harsh to drop them. Same issue regarding Williams, you can't drop our CB's and you can't drop Goulbourne. How would Pearce or Williams get games otherwise? Little and Reid I agree with though.

I agree with Selred. I just listed all those players who could be asked to play in a different position or in a different pattern.  I still feel however that Pearce as an international should be capable of playing where he's asked to play, other than goalie and striker. Clearly the management think differently

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

I have to disagree with some bits.

Pearce has played one game, he wasn't great but it would be hard to pick any CB over Flint and Baker right now. They have been pretty solid and it would be harsh to drop them. Same issue regarding Williams, you can't drop our CB's and you can't drop Goulbourne. How would Pearce or Williams get games otherwise? Little and Reid I agree with though.

That is true, and to be fair to Pearce; I think he's only ever played alongside Flint, and gives the impression to be a more similar type of player to him than Baker, which maybe makes them less effective together.

If nothing else; it is nice to have depth in that area, which we certainly haven't had before this season.

My hope is that next season we have enough (though not too many, of course) players to not always be able to pick the team blindfolded

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I've just spent five minutes trying to organise that lineup into something that isn't horredously off balance

You had me worried when I read this. It reminded me of the times when Gary Johnson used to pick a team with 4 central midfield players. At least, in those days, we had a squad with 4 central midfielders.