IGNORED

The Official Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Let's have a touch of realism

1. We began this season with too small a squad, only two signings, one of whom left in unexplained circumstances to a competitor

2. We failed to secure signing of Tavernier, we let Cunningham go to a rival

3. We had a manager who was so stubborn it was only matched by the stubbornness of The Board to dismiss him

4. Our team from last year was not experienced enough to make the transition to the Championship

5. We brought in a new head coach too late for the transfer window

6. The Board have been too fixated on the stadium. All the evidence is that clubs' creating new stadia allow the performance on the pitch to suffer.  We have proved no exception to this general rule

6. The Board as normal at Ashton Gate, for all the fine words, are happy with division 3 south football - the cycle of failure continues, with occasional, and rare successes.  It is all so sad that we are so badly run

So wat ya try'na se?

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Absolutely. It's the type of game we've got to get a positive outcome in if we want to secure our Championship status.

It's just amusing that judging from posts on here, they're being painted as Brazil 1970 meets Barcelona 2011. Yet they have the same number of points as us, who are doomed, apparently.

I think there's just concern over their serious firepower. And rightly so. McCormack and Dembele were a right handful at AG. 

Although we were mid Cotterill-kamikaze at that stage, they made us look like kids. I don't think I've ever seen a better performance than McCormack from an away team. 

My concern is that it'll be us that looks like Brazil. Only they'll be Germany

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I think we all get the maths

I'm not sure we do. 

Had Cotterill stayed and continued the way we were going we could already be down. 

Our proximity to the drop right now is down to the improved form of Rotherham over a few games. They ain't going to win every game for the rest of the season. 1.6ppg - what we've averaged since Cotts left - is a huge improvement on what we took under Cotterill all season.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I'm not sure we do. 

Had Cotterill stayed and continued the way we were going we could already be down. 

Our proximity to the drop right now is down to the improved form of Rotherham over a few games. They ain't going to win every game for the rest of the season. 1.6ppg - what we've averaged since Cotts left - is a huge improvement on what we took under Cotterill all season.

and still 90 minutes above the drop zone.

Difference being Rotherham are not conceding and we are again.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung

What a depressing evening. That 8 point gap we did so well to establish has been whittled down and we are right back in the relegation mix.

The last two games have seen a return of the soft side that has cost us this season, losing to seemingly very average sides.

Hopefully we will soon return to the form that ground out those results a couple of weeks ago. Also hopefully Rotherham's purple patch will soon come to an end.

Not sure what to expect from the Fulham game. Part of me thinks we should realistically aim to get something out of a game against fellow strugglers. The other part of me remembers how they tore us apart earlier this season.

Those home games against Bolton and Rotherham are now looking even more significant.

I would have been happy with a draw tonight, which we nearly achieved. Even if we had drawn, we would still have only been 3 points above the relegation zone so the last minute goal hasn't made a massive difference in the scheme of things.

I didn't think we were safe three games ago because I expected Rotherham to improve. (At that point I predicted 52 points for safety, which may be on the high side but I'd rather get there to be on the safe side!), There are still 10 games to go so there will be plenty of twists and turns until the end of the season. I have always felt that we will finish above MK Dons and if we do I believe we will stay up.

• Like 1

Players will be hurting after that and then seeing the teams just ahead of us all winning makes if even worse. Puts a fair but of pressure on the Fulham game now, but Fulham have proved that even with two of the best strikers in this division if your team isn't set up and balanced right in this division you can still struggle. Just got to hang in there and dig deep. 

Freeman was outstanding first half, playing quick passes and great movement off the ball. Second half he regressed into the Freeman we've seen too much of this season, sloppy passing and overplaying. If he plays like the first half for the rest of the season he'll be very important for us. 

I listened to the match with head phones on drifting in and out of sleep; funny how a goal wakes one up with a startle whether for us or for them and the injury time sucker punch was no difference except I was sufficiently awake that i got up and made a nice hot cup of English Breakfast; I am glad some things in life are as reliable as a proper cuppa tea. 

As for City.. as other have said right back in it, never really out of it and now we ave to rebuild that gap all over again.

Fulham is the proverbial 6 pointer must not lose really need to win type of game if ever there was one; and we owe them big. So lets go there and give them a right tonking; we sure as hec will have the support and, talking of which, another huge hats off to those who went last night. What a shame we yet again had that soft underbelly of a late concession however it happened. Can we really blame O'Donnell? We should have been in the ascendency at that point. How we have not brought a striker in defies belief quite frankly and it may yet cost us our 2nd tier status in which case the club will only have themselves to blame and poor old fans will suffer again, as usual. But that discussion is for another day. Lets bright side the rest of the week and to all those going on Saturday, please stay positive. :)

Edited by havanatopia
13 hours ago, Loon plage said:

LJ appears to have little substance. If he says the squad doesnt need a few new faces right now he is either out of his depth or being SLs yes man. I do not believe Mr Lansdown is as committed as he once was and I dont believe what he says. That defeat is shattering because unlike Brighton we were woeful and wolves were shit. Momentum is with others and id put our survival chances at 50 -50. 

If we do survive I think SC sales will be slow until the club shows proper intent.

I got shot down in flames for posting something similar after LJ was appointed.  I notice the poster who shot me down has no comments to make tonight!

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I've just looked at the league table to see where this super duper Fulham team are that are definitely going to batter us on Saturday, and was stunned to see they have the same number of points as us.

Surely some mistake?...

Yes, but look at the goal differences, IMO, that will be what may well relegate us!

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I listened to the match with head phones on drifting in and out of sleep; funny how a goal wakes one up with a startle whether for us or for them and the injury time sucker punch was no difference except I was sufficiently awake that i got up and made a nice hot cup of English Breakfast; I am glad some things in life are as reliable as a proper cuppa tea. 

As for City.. as other have said right back in it, never really out of it and now we ave to rebuild that gap all over again.

Fulham is the proverbial 6 pointer must not lose really need to win type of game if ever there was one; and we owe them big. So lets go there and give them a right tonking; we sure as hec will have the support and, talking of which, another huge hats off to those who went last night. What a shame we yet again had that soft underbelly of a late concession however it happened. Can we really blame O'Donnell? We should have been in the ascendency at that point. How we have not brought a striker in defies belief quite frankly and it may yet cost us our 2nd tier status in which case the club will only have themselves to blame and poor old fans will suffer again, as usual. But that discussion is for another day. Lets bright side the rest of the week and to all those going on Saturday, please stay positive. :)

I said previously when we were conceding last second goals from set pieces, just place all 11 players on the line and see if the opponents score then.  It will be very hard for them to do so, I think.  I am sure there is nothing in the rules that says you can't do that.