IGNORED

The Official Fulham v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good morning one and all.

The eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1991 was arguably the catalyst for both the US Navy and Air Force to leave the Philippines. The outflows of volcanic ash, known as Lahar, was the second highest in the 20th century. Much of it landed on Central Luzon, covering the streets of Manila some 100km to the south, while the landscape and river flows of Pinatubo's province of Zambales has, for a generation, been transformed. Wide river basins turned into sandy deserts with occasional rainy season flows from the mountains and roadside Lahar sand blowing in off the landscape confusing the uninitiated tourist into thinking the coast must be close.

For 5 years after the eruption the average temperature for Asia Pacific was nearly 5 degrees Celsius cooler. And I remember when it rained in England and the cars got dirty.

As I think about todays game and write these notes I ponder the solitude that Brian Tinnion must have felt in that Swansea dug out. Alone, with silence all around much like now in my little boat in the very middle of Lake Pinatubo; a dark and deep kidney shaped pool of water inside the ripped out heart of the moutain.

A time of reflection is always a good idea. I hope the City players have done that. I find that clearing the mind of negativity has a greater chance during periods of silent reflection.

With the relatively quiet news of loan signing Peter Odemwinge joining City, with the proverbial 6 pointer at stake and having had time to clear the head of recent poor performances there is no better chance to win a football match. And I think we just might do it.

The last time I was able to check there were nearly 3,000 fans going to Craven Cottage. Everyone salutes you for such remarkable support. 

UTC
3-1
Kodjia, Tomlin, and on as a sub Odemwinge.... He has to score. 
  • Like 11

Odemwingie signs on loan until end of season for Bristol City.
 I have a funny feeling that he could punish us as he is very tricky and fast.

Will Mat Smith get a game tomorrow.

ip.gif Logged
The Swan

Offline cmg

• cebu
  • Horse_Golden_Miller-_3big.jpg
  •  
xx.gif
Re: Odemwingie signs on loan
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:41:36 PM »

Will Mat Smith get a game tomorrow.

Not unless Cauley's forgotten how to get to CC.

ip.gif Logged
...en Johan zag de bal.

Offline Sgt Fulham

• Legend
  • SGTstripes.png
  •  
xx.gif
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:42:00 PM »

Bloody typical.

ip.gif Logged

Online Mince n Tatties

• the Bard
  •  
xx.gif
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:43:23 PM »

Absolute nail on to score isn't he?..Hallelujah.

ip.gif Logged

Offline davew

• the Bard
  •  
xx.gif
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:00:38 PM »

Typical that we don't seem to be attract any good players, Madl perhaps being the exception, oh well fortunately I will be golfing and miss the commentary. Anyway it is a dead cert that we will win 2moro! 4-1 away at their ground and we have improved since then (:laugh:) so it will be at least 4-1, but to which team? If we can't win tomorrow then we really do deserve to be relegated!! 

ip.gif Logged

Remember April 1958 away at Fulham when we were 3-0 at half time and still won 4-3! Best atmosphere ever with their fans, plenty of feeling good. Seem to remember finishing up at 'Dirty Dicks' near Liverpool Street Station?

My late Father was watching a reserves game at the 'Gate' and everyone thought a mistake had been made with the half time score when it was put up.

Good old days.

I think todays game will have a similar scoreline, hopefully in our favour.

Edited by KernowRed
Left out full name of Station

I hope it's a good game of football. No histrionics, cheating, diving, or fighting…ref

I'll miss most of the commentary because I'll be heading west on M4 at that time to attend an engagement party in Bristol later this evening. Hopefully when I reach Swindon and the magic words of wisdom emerge out of the ether, we will be 2-0 up…COYRs

Biggest ever City win I've witnessed was City v Fulham ... 6 - 0 to the reds! (1st March 1969) 

Looking at the head to head records there's quite a few 'high scores' in our battles v Fulham (mostly against ;)) never the less some memorable games..

Hope todays is a thriller, couple of goals each would be nice with City popping up with a late winner post 90th minute to send The Reds home along the M4 gloriously happy.... (If not I guess we'd be happy to put up with another 6nil to the Robins victory, if we must :)) 

Anyway if history is a guide theres a chance of a few goals going in today!

http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Fulham/

• Like 1

Fulham away. I always think of a game at Craven Cottage, must have been the 75/6 promotion season.

The police had it in for City fans that day, apparently after trouble at a pre season game at Stamford Bridge iirc.

All through the game they were grabbing City fans and arresting or chucking them out for no reason. Not sure how many were charged but seem to remember a figure of over 80 being thrown out, and the EP being full of complaints from City fans on the Monday.

Pretty sure we won 2-1 but my other memory of the day was being near the local tube station at 10.30am - I'd stayed in London over night - and hearing the huge roar of 'BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSTOLLLLL' from inside as the first large mob of City fans arrived.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fulham away. I always think of a game at Craven Cottage, must have been the 75/6 promotion season.

The police had it in for City fans that day, apparently after trouble at a pre season game at Stamford Bridge iirc.

All through the game they were grabbing City fans and arresting or chucking them out for no reason. Not sure how many were charged but seem to remember a figure of over 80 being thrown out, and the EP being full of complaints from City fans on the Monday.

Pretty sure we won 2-1 but my other memory of the day was being near the local tube station - I'd stayed overnight in London - at 10.30am and hearing the huge roar of 'BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSTOLLLLL' from inside as the first large mob of City fans arrived.

Putney Bridge?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KernowRed said:

Remember April 1958 away at Fulham when we were 3-0 at half time and still won 4-3! Best atmosphere ever with their fans, plenty of feeling good. Seem to remember finishing up at 'Dirty Dicks' near Liverpool Street Station?

My late Father was watching a reserves game at the 'Gate' and everyone thought a mistake had been made with the half time score when it was put up.

Good old days.

I think todays game will have a similar scoreline, hopefully in our favour.

I did n't realise Dicks was with us at that Time .