IGNORED

What is, or was our greatest ever "away day"?

Jack Dawe

Don't think this one has been mentioned, a 1-0 win at West Brom - a midweek match in 1976, in a vital win in the run in to promotion to Div 1. Gerry Sweeney scored just before half time and we seemed to be constantly defending in the 2nd half, how we held out I'll never know!

It had been billed as a promotion decider, but WBA also went up in 3rd place (pre play-offs)  The game had been re-arranged after the Saturday game a couple of months earlier had been postponed as most of our players had flu!

A cracking night.  Having said that Coventry away was the best!!  I know a relegation decider has been queried as to why its reckoned to be the best, but bear in mind we were 10 minutes away from being relegated from the top flight + all the sub-plots like Jimmy Hill getting the Sunderland defeat on the Electronic scoreboard (very hi tech for 1977!) and the way that the players just strolled around for  the last 10 minutes with no attempt to score, both teams knowing they would be safe at 2-2.. Still rankles to this day with Sunderland fans.

10 hours ago, CodeRed said:

It has to be Coventry 77, was it 15000 there? Who knows - 35000 official attendance but it was pay on the night and we were in 3 sides of the ground, could have been more. We arrived at 5 pm and the queues were massive already.

The sheer emotion and the noise - when we went 2 down 15/20 thousand or whatever it was refused to give in and the sheer noise drove the team on to safety, I was literally screaming at my mate next to me and he couldn't hear me.

Nothing will ever top that night.

Forest league cup, Chester, Wallsall play off all fantastic, missed Anfield - but anyone privileged to be at Highfield Road knows how special it was.

Coach load of us arrived late 1-0 down and the police put us in the Coventry end, there were loads of us in there

Got to be Coventry, '77.

Astonishing size of away support causing delayed KO. Top league survival at stake for both teams, great fightback to 2-2, but was that enough? Don't forget, long before mobile phones, internet, etc. It all hinged on Sunderland's result.

Because of our delayed start their game had finished, result announced. A point would now be enough for us and Coventry. Crazy final minutes when neither side really wanted the ball and any hint of forward play was loudly discouraged from both sets of fans. Final whistle and delirious celebration from everyone in the ground!

14 hours ago, Scott mcgarveys fanclub said:

Bradford 88 quarter finals littlewoods cup walshie scored within first 2 mins absolute brilliant atmosphere for rest of the game

Will always live in my memory as one of best away trips ever...

...which is strange, cause I was absolutely rat arsed so how I remember anything of that night is a miracle

Fulham was indeed great, but there have been a few like it over the years. If I had attended the Coventry '77 game I am sure, like others, that I would have picked it. For me personally I am going to go for Chester 1985, when I travelled over from University on the West Wales coast to see Terry Cooper's team grab promotion to the old division 3. The (should have been, but wasn't) greatest away day I attended was....Hull at Wembley.

11 minutes ago, 1stCityExile said:

Fulham was indeed great, but there have been a few like it over the years. If I had attended the Coventry '77 game I am sure, like others, that I would have picked it. For me personally I am going to go for Chester 1985, when I travelled over from University on the West Wales coast to see Terry Cooper's team grab promotion to the old division 3. The (should have been, but wasn't) greatest away day I attended was....Hull at Wembley.

This is a difficult one...

I'd probably have to say the 5-4 at Mansfield. This was my first ever away game as a kid, my old man took me. No wonder I was hooked from that! 

Very close behind has to be Bradford last season. Me and a few lads only decided to go at 4pm that afternoon! So we quickly left work and headed up north. What a night! Found out that we got caught speeding the week after, but it was worth every penny and I'd do it all over again. 

Another mention for Swindon last season, not the result obviously but the day out. I'd never been so intoxicated in my life at a football game!

Cracking day out and the man in the pub before the game, made it even better!

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

We played all white against Forest, too

No Jack - we were in yellow shirts green shorts for Florist

Joe Jordan turning back the years and manfully leading the line , winning free kicks and his elbows and foot in , in both games live long in the memory !

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

This is a difficult one...

I'd probably have to say the 5-4 at Mansfield. This was my first ever away game as a kid, my old man took me. No wonder I was hooked from that! 

Very close behind has to be Bradford last season. Me and a few lads only decided to go at 4pm that afternoon! So we quickly left work and headed up north. What a night! Found out that we got caught speeding the week after, but it was worth every penny and I'd do it all over again. 

Another mention for Swindon last season, not the result obviously but the day out. I'd never been so intoxicated in my life at a football game!

Cracking day out and the man in the pub before the game, made it even better!

He is a regular in my pub, wellington arms, rooksbridge. Danny starks is a legend, gets absolutely bollaxed and sings the wurzels at the top of his voice, legend. He went to gold cup day at Cheltenham last year and plod wouldn't even let him in until 3pm, that pissed on the minibus!!!

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No Jack - we were in yellow shirts green shorts for Florist

Joe Jordan turning back the years and manfully leading the line , winning free kicks and his elbows and foot in , in both games live long in the memory !

Yes, like I said, Bob. We played all white at Forest. Joe played all white, everyone played all white. Even us fans, we played a binder. So I'm white, Bob, and you are wong

22 hours ago, brady bunch said:

I remember going to Bolton away, many years ago, towards the end of the season (I think to see Joe Jordan's team get promotion and the great Bobby Taylor score is 30th / 40th goal of that season). There were thousands of city fans there.

It ended up a nightmare, we lost, I think Taylor got injured and never scored and I think we finally got promotion whilst not playing and another team (notts county?) lost in a mid week fixture.....

The cider has rotted the memory a bit and I have not bother to check my facts (in keeping with this forum!)

Fulham on Saturday was awesome, defo up there with the best I can remember...

Remember it well(ish). We were in one terrace on the side under the floodlight.  There we some many of us they opened up the next bit of terrace towards the half way line, right next to their fans.  We all climbed the fence and ran over.  Will long stick in the memory that one.

Stevo

Twerton 4-2 - a thrill to finally break the Twerton hex in such style. 

Derby 4-3 - I wasn't at Mansfield, but this game was an epic comeback in it's own right. 2-0 down after 10 minutes or so to a derby side that had spent millions over summer. had everything, from last minute winner, comical own goals, an outfield player in goal, a bouncing terrace and god knows what i might have missed. magic. 

Of course, it's always wonderful to crow to Liverpool fans and say 'I was there' - weirdly though, from the three games we played them i actually have fonder memories of the home ties.

could i also add quite an eccentric choice that i'd love to hear any recollections of. In the event it wasn't a big game, but for some reason i always treasure the atmosphere of that night: stoke away in the cup, mid-week replay in the mid-90s, with the winner to play everton.

decent following from city, but nothing amazing - probably maybe a 1,000 I'm guessing. Anyway, first half we go 1-0 down and the game settles into general drudge with city offering nothing and the away end largely silent. Half time whistle goes and something remarkable happens: in the seats way in the corner must be maybe a dozen or so cidered up wurzels who begin singing nine men went to burn down twerton. Soon, the rest of the away end has joined them and half time becomes one big party with terrace properly rocking. Felt like a switch went with the players - with the match resumed the equalizer goes in sending us potty and the rest of the game is played out like a real electric cuptie humdinger. Extra time, another two for us and a terrace that has more in line with an inflatable castle. Magic night. 

Of course, next round everton beat us - i think we hit the post umpteen times on a pig of a pitch and they smashed in a last minute winner and went on to win the cup. Gutted. But for a fleeting evening in stoke, it was our name etched on the cup. 

19 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Chester 84. When Chester scored the OB were crossing themselves and uttering hail Marys.

When Morgan arse put City in front the OB were thanking God.

That clobberd up horde would have won wars.

Had already started one at Reading earlier that year.

39 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Twerton 4-2 - a thrill to finally break the Twerton hex in such style. 

Derby 4-3 - I wasn't at Mansfield, but this game was an epic comeback in it's own right. 2-0 down after 10 minutes or so to a derby side that had spent millions over summer. had everything, from last minute winner, comical own goals, an outfield player in goal, a bouncing terrace and god knows what i might have missed. magic. 

Of course, it's always wonderful to crow to Liverpool fans and say 'I was there' - weirdly though, from the three games we played them i actually have fonder memories of the home ties.

I'd forgotten about that Derby game. Wasn't it live on TV? Great match like you have said, had a bit of everything. That sending off was certainly a game-changer!

8 minutes ago, Offside said:

I'd forgotten about that Derby game. Wasn't it live on TV? Great match like you have said, had a bit of everything. That sending off was certainly a game-changer!

that's right, live on TV, which didn't stop a raucous following of cider heads! absolutely raining rocks and bottles on us leaving the stadium, no-one gave a **** - well, apart from the poor sods who took a brick on the noggin! the highlights are on youtube, will dig them out when i have a second!

Archived