IGNORED

Lee Tomlin , Will he stay or will he go?

KURTZ

1 minute ago, KURTZ said:

I love What Lee Tomlin brings to our beloved Team,

Whats do you think is the chance of him sighning for us?

All depends on his motivations in the game.  The only reason I can see him staying with us is because he enjoys playing with this crop of players... will it be enough? maybe

if I were a betting man I would put his chances of staying (If we could afford him both salary and transfer wise)  at 20%.  but not knowing what makes him tick who knows!

Think our chances of keeping any from Baker, Tomlin and Odemwingie depends on us finishing the season strongly. If we avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth, doubt any will sign. If we avoid it comfortably, it'll help. This also goes for our ability to attract the best of League One here in the summer. Avoiding relegation isn't enough. We need to show the rest we'll be in a much stronger position for next season. The only way for Baker to sign is for him to put in a transfer request. Just can't see Villa letting him join, if he even wants to. Journos and those in the know have made a lot of our squad and the excellent morale. Let's hope that counts for something. 

He would be a great addition but I would be surprised if he leaves a Prem club willingly given that he can go back with some good performances under his belt.

Baker would be a great addition as well. The main concern I have is that losing Baker back to Villa would leave us in a desperate fight to keep his heroic partner Mr Flint! We can't afford to lose him and Baker without a very good summer of signings!

He clearly just wanted to play, every week. He's loving playing and feeding off the buzz from us fans. At 27, you don't want to be in and out, you want to be the main man, always playing. Or he does, it seems.

But I would imagine he will go to the highest placed club, that offers him the most dosh, where he believes he will be the main man, where he can see he will play every week. 

If he does sign for us, I reckon that winner at Fulham, and the reaction and celebration with 4000 City behind the goal, might just have played a tiny part in making his mind up. 

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

I would love to see a super slim Tomlin at AG next season.  No way should a pro footballer be as unfit as he is. A fit Tomlin would be super, he ain't bad now mind!

Don't think it would alter his game much really. He's not a runner like Wagstaff and will never be wirey and quick like Kodjia. He's built like Lee Trundle/David Noble and we should focus on his strengths which are his ability on the ball. He's not unfit either, you simply can't be unfit as a pro footballer. You made him sound like a Sunday league player! 

We will need to make at least 3 marquee signings if SL is to be judged on what he said to GT regarding operating at the top end of the championship.
Tomlin and Baker would be a start, but he'll have to pay the money. Doing it on a shoestring is not impossible but the odds are heavily stacked against it.

My guess is that he is the most likely of our 5 loan signings to stay with us.

After that I'd say Matthews was the next most likely, followed by Odemwingie, with no chance with Baker and no interest in us signing Pearce (who bizarrely came on as a sub for Ireland yesterday).

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is that he is the most likely of our 5 loan signings to stay with us.

After that I'd say Matthews was the next most likely, followed by Odemwingie, with no chance with Baker and no interest in us signing Pearce (who bizarrely came on as a sub for Ireland yesterday).

Id say Matthews is most likely seeing as he said if it goes well it'll turn permanent.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I believe Tomlin is very unlikely to be here next year, if Bournemouth do move him on, he will most likely have more lucrative offers.

I think Baker is likely to leave Villa, they will need to drastically reduce their wage bill and the likes of Lescott, Hutton, Richards, Clark all have a few years at least on their contracts and they will be hard to shift due to their high wages. Again though Baker may well get a more lucrative offer from the Championship.

Odemwingie will no doubt leave Stoke this summer, and at 34 will be looking for one last decent contract. Not sure he has kids, could see him going abroad to middle/Far East or MLS.

So in summary, I think all three of these players will be available and willing to come to us if they like what they see here, but it will simply come down to how much we are willing to pay to compete in this league.

1 hour ago, screech said:

We will need to make at least 3 marquee signings if SL is to be judged on what he said to GT regarding operating at the top end of the championship.
Tomlin and Baker would be a start, but he'll have to pay the money. Doing it on a shoestring is not impossible but the odds are heavily stacked against it.

Would you class the people we have on loans as marquee if we brought them in, and if not then do we need 3 marquee signings?

Since Cotterill was sacked we've picked up the third most points in the league. Now it's been roughly a quarter of the season so it's not like a short selection of games. Granted a quarter of a season isn't enough to say we will be top 3 if we had this squad next season (not suggesting that at all). But couple the upturn in results and that even under Cotterill there where a fair few performances where we deserved more than we ultimately got, I don't think we would need a huge turn around of players, or number of marquee signings.

I think the squad we have needs bolstering- a bit of depth, and a couple of the loans signed permanently, but that's it for a top half finish next year.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think it would alter his game much really. He's not a runner like Wagstaff and will never be wirey and quick like Kodjia. He's built like Lee Trundle/David Noble and we should focus on his strengths which are his ability on the ball. He's not unfit either, you simply can't be unfit as a pro footballer. You made him sound like a Sunday league player! 

He's good on the ball yes. Not much point running then, only play when we or he has the ball?

Hes a luxury player , good when we're doing well and in possession but not got the modern fitness, he's a throw back to a bye gone era. Paid good money so he should stay off the pies and beers!!

He is class on the ball without shadow of a doubt 

The main issue will be money with all of them but if you believe what they say in interviews they are enjoying being at City. I'm hoping Baker will see City as a better prospect than Villa in the Championship next year, if we can afford him. I believe Tomlin and Odemwingie will fancy playing starring roles in an up and coming City set-up. Matthews is pretty nailed on.

But then I thought we would could keep Smith and Tavernier, especially after getting 2 up at Bradford and for the life of me still don't get why we couldn't give JET what he wanted/decide he was what was needed in the Championship (someone who can unlock defences, set up assists and score lots of goals???)

City have a habit of ditching loan players who have been important for us.

13 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

The main issue will be money with all of them but if you believe what they say in interviews they are enjoying being at City. I'm hoping Baker will see City as a better prospect than Villa in the Championship next year, if we can afford him. I believe Tomlin and Odemwingie will fancy playing starring roles in an up and coming City set-up. Matthews is pretty nailed on.

But then I thought we would could keep Smith and Tavernier, especially after getting 2 up at Bradford and for the life of me still don't get why we couldn't give JET what he wanted/decide he was what was needed in the Championship (someone who can unlock defences, set up assists and score lots of goals???)

City have a habit of ditching loan players who have been important for us.

JETs proven this season he can't do that in this league.

It would be great if we signed Tomlin. He's the sort of creative player we need who can unlock defences. No idea whether it will happen, though. It will depend on money and which other clubs might want him.

Signing Baker permanently would also be great, but I imagine it's unlikely - Aston Villa will probably want to unload some of the expensive dead wood that have helped relegate them and Baker has proved a decent player at this level.

One thing is for sure -  at least we have players of this calibre for this season to help us stay up compared to the last time we were in this league with the likes of MacManus, Foster, McGivern etc.

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well his last game on loan was against us, he lasted 60 Mins, got subbed and has not played one minute since. We had him finally fit, but as we all know, the lad has no application. He will get offloaded by QPR asap in the summer, and end up back in L1 . He will sit down in 5 or 6 years time and reflect on where it all went wrong. I am a huge JET fan, but he only has himself to blame. Tomlin is lasting 90 mins, is not a pure runner but with games has improved a huge amount, and whilst as I say not blessed with huge pace, is not blowing up after 60 mins every game. He keeps working and creating . He would be a great signing, but you don't leave Boro for the fee he did to go to the Prem and not be on a good contract. I cannot see how we could afford him, even with a reduced fee (£2m would probably be enough for the Cherries to cut their losses, but wages.... ) 

Maybe you're right re Tomln (you definitely are about JET) but Bournemouth will be very keen to get rid of him following his comments about Howe but as you say, having cost them £3.5m he will definitely be on significantly more than any of our permanent players are at present.

I just think that a proven goal scorer and (just as importantly) creator at this level is priceless to us so he is worth going to the upper end of whatever we can afford to pay to try to get him to stay, even if that meant that we didn't look to bring in Odemwingie as well this summer.

I also reckon that they'd sell him for £1.5m, as with the new Prem deal money isn't the consideration it once was for them and his recent comments about us needing to be stronger at home next season make me hope that he is at least considering extending his time with us.

11 hours ago, shelts said:

He's good on the ball yes. Not much point running then, only play when we or he has the ball?

Hes a luxury player , good when we're doing well and in possession but not got the modern fitness, he's a throw back to a bye gone era. Paid good money so he should stay off the pies and beers!!

He is class on the ball without shadow of a doubt 

I'm sorry, but what an utter load of bobbins!  He has been one hell of a signing for us since day one....and we really were not "doing well" then.  On the pitch he's one of the main reasons that we're now doing well.  And even when we're not in possession he still takes a player out of the game because very rarely will you see him unmarshalled.  

He may not be sprinting around the pitch, but he is still always getting himself into the right position on the pitch to receive the ball if and when cleared, and believe it or not has even been seen helping out the midfield and defence on occasion!  In my opinion if you truly believe that he's a player who is only any good with the ball at his feet then you really need to take a step back and try and understand the game you're paying to watch a little more.

And he's not fat....he's big boned!  Like someone else said - to hear you, you'd think he was a Sunday League pub player.

10 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

....for the life of me still don't get why we couldn't give JET what he wanted/decide he was what was needed in the Championship (someone who can unlock defences, set up assists and score lots of goals???)

Wouldn't, not couldn't, and the fact that not one of the three Championship clubs he's been involved with since the end of last season have given him a chance in the Championship tells you all you need to know about his ability to hack it at this level.  The simple fact is that the only time he ever played well at this level was under SoD at Donny.....  As much as I loved watching the guy last year he just doesn't have the application.  Lee Tomlin is a massive upgrade on JET.

Archived