IGNORED

Lee Tomlin , Will he stay or will he go?

KURTZ

I reckon all our loan players will be open to staying, but if I was a betting man I'd only lay money on Matthews staying. If Odenwingie, Tomlin and Baker are available, we'll almost certainly have competition and even if SL decides to loosen the purse strings a bit more, we may still struggle to compete with a lot of other clubs in this division- both in terms of reputation/prospects and straight cash. I'd like to see them all sign for next season (though I have reservations about the balance of a CB pairing of Flint & Baker if we really want to push for play offs, while PO is getting on a bit), but I'm not sure any of them are worth going nuts for in terms of wages or fees

42 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm sorry, but what an utter load of bobbins!  He has been one hell of a signing for us since day one....and we really were not "doing well" then.  On the pitch he's one of the main reasons that we're now doing well.  And even when we're not in possession he still takes a player out of the game because very rarely will you see him unmarshalled.  

He may not be sprinting around the pitch, but he is still always getting himself into the right position on the pitch to receive the ball if and when cleared, and believe it or not has even been seen helping out the midfield and defence on occasion!  In my opinion if you truly believe that he's a player who is only any good with the ball at his feet then you really need to take a step back and try and understand the game you're paying to watch a little more.

And he's not fat....he's big boned!  Like someone else said - to hear you, you'd think he was a Sunday League pub player.

Wouldn't, not couldn't, and the fact that not one of the three Championship clubs he's been involved with since the end of last season have given him a chance in the Championship tells you all you need to know about his ability to hack it at this level.  The simple fact is that the only time he ever played well at this level was under SoD at Donny.....  As much as I loved watching the guy last year he just doesn't have the application.  Lee Tomlin is a massive upgrade on JET.

Wow thanks for the lecture . Tomlin is a great player who lacks fitnes. 

44 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm sorry, but what an utter load of bobbins!  He has been one hell of a signing for us since day one....and we really were not "doing well" then.  On the pitch he's one of the main reasons that we're now doing well.  And even when we're not in possession he still takes a player out of the game because very rarely will you see him unmarshalled.  

He may not be sprinting around the pitch, but he is still always getting himself into the right position on the pitch to receive the ball if and when cleared, and believe it or not has even been seen helping out the midfield and defence on occasion!  In my opinion if you truly believe that he's a player who is only any good with the ball at his feet then you really need to take a step back and try and understand the game you're paying to watch a little more.

And he's not fat....he's big boned!  Like someone else said - to hear you, you'd think he was a Sunday League pub player.

Wouldn't, not couldn't, and the fact that not one of the three Championship clubs he's been involved with since the end of last season have given him a chance in the Championship tells you all you need to know about his ability to hack it at this level.  The simple fact is that the only time he ever played well at this level was under SoD at Donny.....  As much as I loved watching the guy last year he just doesn't have the application.  Lee Tomlin is a massive upgrade on JET.

Wow. Thanks for the lecture . Tomlin is a nice player whose game would benefit by being fitter. As for the Jet thing I liked him but he was so lazy , Tomlin does work hard , Jet was no Jackie, I see similarities between Tomlin and Jacki. 

12 hours ago, shelts said:

He's good on the ball yes. Not much point running then, only play when we or he has the ball?

Hes a luxury player , good when we're doing well and in possession but not got the modern fitness, he's a throw back to a bye gone era. Paid good money so he should stay off the pies and beers!!

He is class on the ball without shadow of a doubt 

You need quality players though, as Johnson has alluded to - if you have 9 other outfield runners, you can afford a less mobile player in our system. That pints and beers thing is rubbish and a little bit disrespectful, he simply wouldn't get away with that. 

It was a little tongue in cheeck to be fair. Not all players are athletes or have technical ability, I get it needs a mixture to make a team. 

Tomlin would be even better with a pre season under his belt with us after signing on. He is in the Trundle Jet Jacki mould of player which we've always appreciated at the gate. 

COYR 

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

You said it mate - SOD (and SC) knew how to get the best out of JET. Having established that City could do that why not persist with him rather than giving up on him like other Clubs and other managers have done and let him rot on the bench? It's nuts.

Lets not forget that JET tore us to pieces Away at Ipswich and Macarthy was still baffled by him, so not every manager is clever enough to handle that kind of talent.

By the way I am also a huge admirer of Tomlin.

I very much doubt he will but I certainly hope we do everything we can to make it happen. I haven't been able to see games but from what I've heard he's been the main reason our season has turned around. Will be very difficult to find a replacement of his caliber.

This summer ahead will be massive for our future.

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

You said it - SOD (and SC) knew how to get the best out of JET. Having established that City could do that why not persist with him rather than giving up on him like other Clubs and other managers have done and let him rot on the bench? It's nuts.

Lets not forget that JET tore us to pieces Away at Ipswich and Macarthy was still baffled by him, so not every manager is clever enough to handle that kind of talent.

I think it comes down to a few factors. 

He wanted to go back to London, therefore it would of been hard to keep him.

He was out of contract, it's not like we sold or released him.

He wasn't a regular starter for us last season, and his best position (just behind the striker in my opinion) didn't suit our formation under Cotts.

We are a professional football club, we can't afford to fork out wages just so a players talent is maintained. It's up to him to prove to other teams he has the quality, he needs to decide clubs that would suit him best. 

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

You said it - SOD (and SC) knew how to get the best out of JET. Having established that City could do that why not persist with him rather than giving up on him like other Clubs and other managers have done and let him rot on the bench? It's nuts.

And you just hit the nail on the head.  Cotts was also able to get the best out of JET and determined that the best he could get out of him wouldn't be enough for this level.  As much as we can romanticise about watching JET over his last two seasons (and at times it was a real joy - proper entertainment), all of City, QPR and Dons have had a look at him and considered that they wouldn't, or couldn't play him at this level.

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

And you just hit the nail on the head.  Cotts was also able to get the best out of JET and determined that the best he could get out of him wouldn't be enough for this level.  As much as we can romanticise about watching JET over his last two seasons (and at times it was a real joy - proper entertainment), all of City, QPR and Dons have had a look at him and considered that they wouldn't, or couldn't play him at this level.

Okay mate. The past is past. You are right it was real joy to see someone like him in a City shirt. It doesn't happen for decades. I am filled with regret if  the formulaic part of modern football cannot utilise that type of amazing talent. He was a team player, this is the tragedy, able to quickly see when to assist rather than go for it himself.

18 hours ago, shelts said:

I would love to see a super slim Tomlin at AG next season.  No way should a pro footballer be as unfit as he is. A fit Tomlin would be super, he ain't bad now mind!

Wouldn't be playing for us if he was actually fit. Careful what you wish for !!

1 hour ago, shelts said:

It was a little tongue in cheeck to be fair. Not all players are athletes or have technical ability, I get it needs a mixture to make a team. 

Tomlin would be even better with a pre season under his belt with us after signing on. He is in the Trundle Jet Jacki mould of player which we've always appreciated at the gate. 

COYR 

Very similar to Trundle.

Some of you are really funny. Tomlin unfit but been doing full 90 minutes in the championship after a move to the prem because he was exceptional in the championship for a team that made the playoff final. Mark Ashton wears a suit and says things that people think is BS even though he's recruited well in January and given us a chance to sign some players in the summer if we stay up. 

You really can't please everyone huh? MA getting slagged off in another thread even though the changes in our season have happened after he arrived. One of his changes was signing of Lee Tomlin who is fat and unfit but we've been winning more games and scoring more goals with him in the team. 

Some of you really think we are a bigger club then we are. We are lucky to have some of our loan players. As far as MA, only time will tell but so far so good. If we are going to be a bigger club then someone has to take us there. MA isn't off to a bad start so why don't we get off his back. Get off Tomlin for being "unfit." He's fitter than anyone on this forum. 3rd most points in the championship since mid January. Get behind the club and enjoy the good things happening. 

31 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

OK, hypothetical question.  Let's say we turned all our key loans (Odemwingie, Tomlin, Matthews, Baker) into permanents this summer but didn't sign anyone else, and no-one left.

Would we consider this a good summer, and whereabouts would you expect that squad to finish?

No I think we need further strengthening/upgrading. I would expect that squad though to finish about 12th, but it's still weak in key areas before we can progress properly.

If Tomlin's fitness is a problem then how come the team has been performing so well since he arrived?

Certain teams may demand more mobility from their strikers but ours is clearly set up in such a way that it can accommodate a player like Tomlin. If it couldn't then they wouldn't be winning so many matches.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

OK, hypothetical question.  Let's say we turned all our key loans (Odemwingie, Tomlin, Matthews, Baker) into permanents this summer but didn't sign anyone else, and no-one left.

Would we consider this a good summer, and whereabouts would you expect that squad to finish?

Midtable, posted earlier in this thread that if we keep this squad, with loans, and brought in a little depth, then we should be looking nearer top half

I reckon 1.5mill would get him, give him a huge signing on fee and wages become less of an issue. It`s probably going to be his last decent contract in any case and I get the feeling he does enjoy it here. Also, if he moved local to Bournemouth when he signed for them and is happy where he lives, distance may enter into it - kids at school, that kind of thing.

I'm not In the Know, never have been , probably never will be again, but today I had a chance confidential conversation ( that's the nature of my occupation) with somebody very much in the know , on the Bristol Sport payroll , who informed me a deal with Bournemouth and Tomlin is sorted as long as both sides remain in current divisions . 

The diwnside to this story is that he got the information at a Social event , where I guess the booze might have been flowing freely . 

I'd love to spill more of the beans but have confided in the Mrs, not that she was very interested. 

Archived