IGNORED

The Official Hull City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good morning one and all.

It almost seems a spider's definition of eternity since we last enjoyed respectable league action. I do find these international breaks a trifle irritating. 

Going to Hull sounds about as inspiring as stubbing one's big toe that already has the initiations of an ingrowing toe nail. I said enough about the place in the match day back in November..

For those of you venturing into the East Riding today wrap up warm in case of an east wind blowing in offshore; the coast is renown for its bitterly cold flurries with little stopping them, by way of mountain, blowing in from Siberia. Hull fish is legendary so a fair fish and chips should be garnered from the many outlets I would venture and, along with the Yorkshire hospitality and a glass of the local Anchor Export if still available, the City faithful should enter the melange of football fans in fine fettle.

I wonder how William Wilberforce, born in Kingston upon Hull, was received by the Bristol merchants of the day hospitable or otherwise; that celebrated figure who drove through the abolition of slavery in 1833. Of course the Abolition of the Slave Trade preceded this act in 1807 with Bristolians from all walks of life vociferous in their demand for the abolition. I suspect Bristol was perhaps one of the more persistent in ridding us of Slavery altogether in 1833, seeing it at close quarters, and that Wilberforce would have largely been a very welcome figure in the city.

And just in case the thought of going to Hull has been a little warped with some of these words and the previous thread and to redress the balance in a spirit of fairness it might be of interest to the more scholarly amongst us to know that Hull boasts a long and venerable list of poets including Andrew Marvell, Stevie Smith, Philip Larkin, Douglas Dunn, Roger McGough, Sean O’Brien, Peter Didsbury, and Andrew Motion. All hail from Hull, apparently. Why, it has also only gone and been named city of culture 2017. Remarkable.

And many of those poets wrote about the social deprivations of a city they grew up in and were inspired by. Which sort of says it all really when it comes to us Brits and us football fans; no matter where we come from and how bad our football team is we still love the place and worship the hallowed turf of our sporting heroes. Something rather British, English even, about all of that. Deferential and eternal suffering for the masses. And with that we should expect little but hope for the best today. Perhaps a draw, perhaps a sneaky win. Perhaps big Stevie Bruce will throw his water bottle on the turf a time or two in angered distrust of the officials while little Lee will stand passively across the way privately smiling to himself.

Before I toodle off you may like to know that on this day in 1801 Horatio Lord Nelson put his telescope to his blind eye and ignored Admiral Parker's signal to stop fighting. "I have only one eye. I have a right to be blind sometimes. I really do not see the signal" . Later that day we beat the Danish at the Battle of Copenhagen. What an inspirational thought.

And finally, also on this day in history in 1982 Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. More boats were requisitioned from Hull than any other port in the country. Should any of you have time on your hands today go to the Falklands Memorial at the Holy Trinity Church in Hull. Well worth a visit I would think. Please let me know if any of you do go.

I fancy Odemwinge and Wilbraham to burst the net today but with responses from Hull that might save their blushes. Lets see.

Big pats on the backs to all of you going today. Safe and enjoyable travels to all of you.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 13

Good morning from Bromsgrove. It's rainy & horrible here and three bottles of Weston's vintage have ensured a shit nights sleep. 

But I'm off to buy a new barbecue in the next half hour, so I'm happy. 

Safe journey to all those making the trip to 'ull. I'd snap your hand off for a point but I suspect this could be one of those games where we show we're susceptible to a pasting. 

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Good morning from Bromsgrove. It's rainy & horrible here and three bottles of Weston's vintage have ensured a shit nights sleep. 

But I'm off to buy a new barbecue in the next half hour, so I'm happy. 

Safe journey to all those making the trip to 'ull. I'd snap your hand off for a point but I suspect this could be one of those games where we show we're susceptible to a pasting. 

Just approaching your patch and it's pissing down.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Morning from a soggy Posset. Seems the sun might come out later. I've woken up with cold #16263 of the year. Toddlers...

Fingers crossed for a stream today?

It's listed on Beinsports today so there should be a decent stream :clapping:

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good morning one and all.

It almost seems a spider's definition of eternity since we last enjoyed respectable league action. I do find these international breaks a trifle irritating. 

Going to Hull sounds about as inspiring as stubbing one's big toe that already has the initiations of an ingrowing toe nail. I said enough about the place in the match day back in November..

For those of you venturing into the East Riding today wrap up warm in case of an east wind blowing in offshore; the coast is renown for its bitterly cold flurries with little stopping them, by way of mountain, blowing in from Siberia. Hull fish is legendary so a fair fish and chips should be garnered from the many outlets I would venture and, along with the Yorkshire hospitality and a glass of the local Anchor Export if still available, the City faithful should enter the melange of football fans in fine fettle.

I wonder how William Wilberforce, born in Kingston upon Hull, was received by the Bristol merchants of the day hospitable or otherwise; that celebrated figure who drove through the abolition of slavery in 1833. Of course the Abolition of the Slave Trade preceded this act in 1807 with Bristolians from all walks of life vociferous in their demand for the abolition. I suspect Bristol was perhaps one of the more persistent in ridding us of Slavery altogether in 1833, seeing it at close quarters, and that Wilberforce would have largely been a very welcome figure in the city.

And just in case the thought of going to Hull has been a little warped with some of these words and the previous thread and to redress the balance in a spirit of fairness it might be of interest to the more scholarly amongst us to know that Hull boasts a long and venerable list of poets including Andrew Marvell, Stevie Smith, Philip Larkin, Douglas Dunn, Roger McGough, Sean O’Brien, Peter Didsbury, and Andrew Motion. All hail from Hull, apparently. Why, it has also only gone and been named city of culture 2017. Remarkable.

And many of those poets wrote about the social deprivations of a city they grew up in and were inspired by. Which sort of says it all really when it comes to us Brits and us football fans; no matter where we come from and how bad our football team is we still love the place and worship the hallowed turf of our sporting heroes. Something rather British, English even, about all of that. Deferential and eternal suffering for the masses. And with that we should expect little but hope for the best today. Perhaps a draw, perhaps a sneaky win. Perhaps big Stevie Bruce will throw his water bottle on the turf a time or two in angered distrust of the officials while little Lee will stand passively across the way privately smiling to himself.

Before I toodle off you may like to know that on this day in 1801 Horatio Lord Nelson put his telescope to his blind eye and ignored Admiral Parker's signal to stop fighting. "I have only one eye. I have a right to be blind sometimes. I really do not see the signal" . Later that day we beat the Danish at the Battle of Copenhagen. What an inspirational thought.

And finally, also on this day in history in 1982 Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. More boats were requisitioned from Hull than any other port in the country. Should any of you have time on your hands today go to the Falklands Memorial at the Holy Trinity Church in Hull. Well worth a visit I would think. Please let me know if any of you do go.

I fancy Odemwinge and Wilbraham to burst the net today but with responses from Hull that might save their blushes. Lets see.

Big pats on the backs to all of you going today. Safe and enjoyable travels to all of you.

UTC

Condensed Version

Hull

William Wilberforce and Horatio Nelson stubbed their toes here whilst eating triffle with melange and waiting to go to the Falklands.

PS: Mick Ronson came from Hull also

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 2

After reading Hava's write up, I suddenly fancy going to this game and checking out a bit of Hull.  Is anybody driving up from the Coots, Stockwood in say, the next 15 mins?

And what does the word melange mean?  I could look it up, but wonder who knows on here?

City to bring back a point, a solid and respectable 1-1 draw.

Peter Oooooodemwingie with the goal.

Morning all from the south side of the river... contemplating sticking a load in the washing machine and doing a sun dance if I put it out on the line. Met office says highs of 13°c but still looks like it'll piss down...

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Greetings from Bangkok airport in transit... Looking forward to getting back to ENGLISH speaking Manila this evening. 

Didn't realise you were in Manila Hav? Always thought you were in Cuba re your username... I have family friends in Manila who moved over there years ago from BS3. One day I'll make it over there I hope...

Sunny in Frome. Off to the allotment this afternoon with a flask and radio to "watch the potatoes grow" ;)

Went to Hull several times. Shared a jacuzzi with a colleague once. Not long after he came out.

Funny the effect the warm bubbly water had on him. Didn't effect me in the same way.

Hull. Not up there I'm afraid on my Top 10 list of places to visit.

Either 1-1 or 2-2.

I'll decide closer to the time, or during the game.

Not sure which two OTIB posters will have a massive spat during the game. Bit of a lottery, really. Which reminds me: big jackpot tonight.

If I win the jackpot, I will be sponsoring the new West Stand upper tier "the Uncle Taxi for Rennie upper tier", and letting fans sit there.

:thumbsup:

Uncle TFR

• Like 1